Rebuilding King Resi Shocks

Sc741

Has anybody rebuilt Kings 2.5" Resi shocks themselves? I got these used a while ago and want to make sure they are assembled correctly with regard to the piston compression and rebound etc. One of the valve assemblies was mounted opposite of the others.
King is not easy to get info from.

Attachments

• image-1700358491.jpg
    image-1700358491.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 190

E-man

If I'm not mistaken, they're nitrogen charged (at least my King remote reservoirs are). Therefore, be mindful that you may need to recharge them after the rebuild.

Lastly, I believe the assembly needs up be done while the shock is submerged in shock fluid in order to make sure there's no air bubbles which will cause emulsification.

It's been years since I've rebuild offtoad shocks, so forgive me if I'm not 110% correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sc741

My question is not how to rebuild them. I have all of the necessary tools the do the job and I know how not to have air trapped in them. My question is in regards to the piston/valve assembly I am just not familiar with this piston/valve setup. I am not sure which side is supposed to be the compression or rebound side by looking at it and since they were mixed up, it's currently a guessing game. I also have a nitrogen tank and regulator specifically to do the job.

bl17z90

I recommend calling offroad evolution since they partner with King to produce these to work flawlessly eith the JK.

Sent from my phone?

SDG

Caught the Bug
I may be wrong here... but if i remember correctly from watching the video where Mel talked about king shocks, I thought he said they could be used either way, but that you got different response depending on how they were configured.

Sc741

I may be wrong here... but if i remember correctly from watching the video where Mel talked about king shocks, I thought he said they could be used either way, but that you got different response depending on how they were configured.

No, the piston is different from one side to another. Plus, the one side has an addition part that has three holes in it that match up to the piston. The valve stack itself can be manipulated to whatever it takes for the ride quality sought after.

Sc741

Piston and parts

Attachments

• image-3078964274.jpg
    image-3078964274.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 174
  • image-334414717.jpg
    image-334414717.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 169
  • image-1318177435.jpg
    image-1318177435.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 174

SDG

Caught the Bug
No, the piston is different from one side to another. Plus, the one side has an addition part that has three holes in it that match up to the piston. The valve stack itself can be manipulated to whatever it takes for the ride quality sought after.

Ahh,, I think i was thinking of the valve stack.

Sc741

I am familiar with all of that and have taken shocks apart multiple times. Thanks! But my shock assemblies are completely different from the typical assembly diagram King has on their site. Well it has an additional part not shown on any diagrams. I will give Drew a call tomorrow.

Top Bottom