Caster and LCA advice needed

NAUJK

Hey everyone,

Ill say it now if you know of a thread that may have some info in it such as someones build thread please post a link Id be very thankful, I dont have everyones build threads memorized.

I have been dealing some sever death wobble the last couple weeks. Last night and today I have been working on it and following Eddies amazing advice and write up I looked for the usual causes and tightened everything and hey would you look at that I was able to hit 40 mph for the first time in a while I didn't want to go much more than that since I have this like PTSD like thing for wheels falling off after they've been removed.... So next step is to get it over to discount have the tires balanced and move on to Control Arms.

So I installed evo 3" Plush rides on my 2dr couple weeks ago but didnt get the evo lower control arms with them. But now I have a set of them and need some advice for installing them. I took an angle measurement on the axle where it should be 90* I got around 86* or so... and at this moment I forgot what I got on the ball joints ill go do that and post it up. But I guess my question is, I dont want to cause driveline vibrations and have other things fail, Should I get the axle measurement back to 90* or would that cause more problems and I should just leave it alone or what?

Again if there is a thread with answers embedded in it please let me know!

Thank you all for your help!

:beer::beer: Mike

NAUJK

I feel like I am doing something wrong or am I thinking of this wrong?

So on the ball joints I get about 5* and I measured again at the diff and got fluctuating between like 87 and 90... So to get closer to 4* leaning back I need to shorten my lower control arms... at least that is how my brain is seeing the angles work in my head. But I feel like this is incorrect...

I could really use some input and advice on this. :crazyeyes:

Thank you again.

NAUJK

I just found a post Eddie made couple years ago to make them 23" so that is what I have done. My brain was just thinking to hard into this thing then it needed to do and was confusing me :doh:

Thank you though. Cant wait to get these put on and everything tightened up and wheels balanced and see how she drives!

CrazyLarry

Have you disconnected your steering stabiliEr and check your tie rod ends and drag link ends for play when turning the wheels?

NAUJK

Have you disconnected your steering stabiliEr and check your tie rod ends and drag link ends for play when turning the wheels?

I am not running a SS at the moment. But Yes I did the wheel test to see if anything was moving and everything looks to be good. Going for another test drive now. Control Arms are mounted and everything is torqued We shall see how she behaves! Test drive is to Discount Tire to get wheels balanced. If the problem still exists my next guess is Ball Joints.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Setting your LCA's to 23" eye to eye is just a starting point. Depending on how much lift you ultimately have, you could have too much or too little caster. More times than not, you'll want to set your arms a bit shorter unless you have adjustable uppers too. I would try to get it back to 4 deg of caster (measured from the top of the ball joints) or zero (or 90 deg depending on how you are reading it). Caster needs to take precedence.

NAUJK

Setting your LCA's to 23" eye to eye is just a starting point. Depending on how much lift you ultimately have, you could have too much or too little caster. More times than not, you'll want to set your arms a bit shorter unless you have adjustable uppers too. I would try to get it back to 4 deg of caster (measured from the top of the ball joints) or zero (or 90 deg depending on how you are reading it). Caster needs to take precedence.

I only have lowers couldn't afford more at the time. I set them for 23" I'm going to still be working on it tomorrow. So ill take some measurements of angles tomorrow again. It drove just fine but I don't want to cause more problems by not having it right.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

NAUJK

Measurements taken again on the axle read 89.5 tolerable or should I increase my lca a bit more and try and get exactly 90?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom