GenRight front bumper and a warn PowerPlant

AJE

So, I got a great deal on a Warn PowerPlant HP that the compressor didn't work. Took it apart, replaced the belt gave it a general cleanup reassembled if and viola, works like a champ.

I already have a GenRight front bumper with a Warn 9.5XP in it...now I start researching squeezing the PowerPlant into my bumper. GenRights website says it fits in their new, as of July 2013, bumpers but nothing for the older ones...when you talk to them they will tell you, yeah it fits but only after a fair amount of modifications...ok, so other people have done this right, I'm sure they have, but none of them put it out there on the ole inter web for me to see...

Out with the old

7utu7uty.jpg

The PowerPlant fits in the tray, mostly,

ebebe2ev.jpg

The obvious issues are the cable slot and the bolt holes are about an inch and a half to far left. When you slide the bumper on the frame horns you run into clearance issues with the winches motor cover.

juqevyju.jpg

Cutting the top of the bumper just a smidge takes care of that. I also cut upper inner wings of the frame horns, you'll see what I mean in a few pictures.

The bolt holes had to be moved over a little over an inch.

equ6yhud.jpg

So now every thing fits, all the bolts line up with their holes and it's time to fix the cable slot. I used a 1 3/8 inch hole saw...really I used two, the first one bent and made a nice big shiny circle, the replacement cost much more but worked like a champ. I connected the holes with a sawzall and cleaned it up a bit with a file.

3y7u6aru.jpg

As I'm sitting there pleased with my progress I realize that there is no way I can get a washer and nut to the back of the bumper in front of the winch motor, let alone a wrench to hold the nut. After a bit of head scratching I decided that I would weld the nuts in place, there is plenty if room for the nuts you just can't get to them...here you can see the wing I cut off, the other side was cut off as well.

mybyqa2u.jpg

When it all goes together it gets a healthy dose of anti seize, worst case scenario the welds break loose and I have to cut the bolt heads off.

I made a plate to bolt the floating side of the fair lead to, I'll see oh that holds up for now but the plan is to make a whole new plate that covers the front.

And here is the finished product.

atubypar.jpg

y9y9y8y6.jpg

ubaqemuq.jpg

Joe

AJE

Funny, everyone says that...

The plan for the 9.5 is a rear winch, but that will take a bit more work, I'm not sold on the few currently on the market.

Top Bottom