When's the last time you checked your control arm bushings?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you haven't checked your control arm bushings recently, you may want to give them a look. Over the weekend, I helped my friend Moochie rebuild one of his TeraFlex upper control arm bushing as it had blown out its lock ring...
IMG_5291.jpg

Unfortunately, I've seen this happen enough times that I now carry a rebuild kit that I got from TeraFlex in my tool bag. With the help of a couple of wrenches and a pair of snap ring pliers, it can be rebuilt...
IMG_5293.jpg

IMG_5295.jpg

And of course, this is what it should have looked like before we pulled the arm off his Jeep...
IMG_5296.jpg

If you're planning any long trips this summer and if you have a set of aftermarket control arms like the kind TeraFlex makes, do yourself a favor and give them a look before you head out. :yup:

kaz2be

lock rings

i could be wrong but from pictures it seems like lock ring was positioned wrong side up. one side has rounded edge other straight, straight edge should be facing outside.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i could be wrong but from pictures it seems like lock ring was positioned wrong side up. one side has rounded edge other straight, straight edge should be facing outside.

I think it's just the pic and yes, just like any stamped out piece of steel, there is a rounded side and sharp side and depending on which way it gets installed, it can make a difference in how well it holds up.

Thats cool. What other pieces can be rebuilt?????:thinking:

well, if you get the whole rebuild kit, it'll come with new bushings, joint and lock rings. on the other end, you can replace the bonded rubber bushing as well but, that's a lot harder to do. there is no kit for this or, so far as i know.

Top Bottom