Least modifications to fit 35s?

davantalus

Stock JKUR. I'd like to move up to 35's.

In the long term I'll be looking at a (subtle) quality suspension setup... but in the short term I want to slowly work in that direction while keeping my center of gravity low and changing the vehicle dynamics as little as possible. Change one thing, play, change another, play more.

1) Anyone have experience with cramming 35's under a JK with *only* spacers and flat fenders?
2) Would 1.5" or 1.75" spacers be any better in this application? More?
2) Where and how much rub did you see? Will it be better or worse aired down at flex?
3) Is there trimming workarounds for the rub points?
4) Suggestions for smallest quality soundly-engineered suspension modifications? (if such a thing exists?)

Since we're talking mere centimeters, I was looking at the Trail Grappler and wondering about that-which-must-not-be-discussed - "actual size" Website says 34.84 inches... does that seem correct?

Hopefully I'm not entirely crazy? :idontknow:

Last edited:

TrailBear

Your not crazy at all, there are a few guys that have run stock and 35's. I'm running them on my jkus, with a teraflex levelling kit, it rubs a little when flexed but you can trim your stock fenders and get very little if any, there is a write up in the tech section. If your pinch seam is not trimmed you will need to trim it, and if your running stock rims you will need wheel spacers minimum 1.5". I think that's about it, I have not trimmed my fenders so I don't disconnect my front sway bar, I get more rubbing if I do.

matt1171

A friend of mine runs 35s with the stock suspension and Poison Spyder flares on his JK. He does some serious rock crawling in it and it works great!

pvanweelden

^ thanks David. I trimmed the flares, pinch seam, and rubi rails, and running 1.5" spacers with the stock rims with 315/70r17's that are a true 35" tire (measure 34.5" mounted) my stock coils are 17 and 58- so I am a little low to begin with. It has a serious rake, so I will be adding 2" to the front this weekend to help level it out and give me some room to flex. Only thing I haven't done yet is adjust the steering stops, as right now at full turn, the tires do rub a little on the frame.

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rideski

Maybe a dumb question but what are pinch seams?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

pvanweelden

The seam right in front of the rear tires, pics in my build thread

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Maybe a dumb question but what are pinch seams?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

not my image but you can see it below. it is circled and in this pic it is already cut off

IMG_0793.jpg

munstie

With him having a 13 aren't they already trimmed back from the factory?

Sent from the"Zone of Influence"

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I just had this conversation with my buddy yesterday who traded his heavily modded 08 for a new 14 he's thinking of doing the same.

Stock front bumper will rub if your rear pinch seam was trimmed by the factory, no issues if not, you'll need to trim the corner.

You'll need to trim about 2 inches from the rubi rails if you've got em. Other than that I ran 35's with flatties for a while until I got the EVO enforcer lift. Here's a photo:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386599980.560437.jpg

StrizzyChris

I'm running a 1.75" spacer up front with trimmed fenders and stock suspension in the rear. I rub like all hell in the front when disco'd with my 35" nitto muds and flexing. I also rub in the rear due to the flexible rear sway bar but not too badly. Only way to prevent this is with small bump stop extensions since spacers will only give you lift and not prevent rub. But other than that, it looks and works out just fine. If your running stock rims, you'll need a set of wheel spacers to clear the frame and suspension. Also the 2013's started coming with trimmed pinch seams around January and will clear a 35.

1386606879910.jpg
1386606658642.jpg
1386606827887.jpg
1386607018846.jpg

Tackerdown

Banned
1 have 2.5 spacers in the front and 2 in the rear with 35's. And no rubbing . 1386608121279.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom