Skin armor

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
living in socal, things like rust really is a non-issue. but, for you, i would probably recommend that you apply a bead of silicon along the edges of the armor to keep bad stuff from getting in between it and the body.

GCM 2

Prep work

Chris like Eddie has mentioned, all it's takes is just a little more diligence in your prep work of the sheet metal and armor surfaces. Anything that has been drilled needs a little primer and paint before you start bolting those surfaces back together.....or you could just store your JK down here with us where rust is a non factor :rock:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
clarsen said:
Has anyone had or found rusting issues from armor bottling directly to the body panels of your rig?

Coming from the eastcoast. No way would I put anything like that on in Canada.

Glad I don't have to worry now :)

Indefatigable

I have had PSC full corners on my LJ for almost 4 years. Just took them off to weld on flares.

I had a bead of silicone along the top of all the plate to keep junk from falling into there. Nothing on the bottom side though.

Only rust was on the holes I drilled or chipped when putting in the bolts. And of course where road debris chipped the paint away on the underside.

Otherwise, really no rust. I was expecting alot and have very little clean up to do before I put the armour back on.

But, I live just outside of Vancouver, BC. Its not like it rains here much and I never have had covered parking. It was always out in the elements. Daily driver up until a few months ago.

Hightower

wayoflife said:
living in socal, things like rust really is a non-issue. but, for you, i would probably recommend that you apply a bead of silicon along the edges of the armor to keep bad stuff from getting in between it and the body.
Thx Eddie that's what I thought!

GCM 2 said:
Chris like Eddie has mentioned, all it's takes is just a little more diligence in your prep work of the sheet metal and armor surfaces. Anything that has been drilled needs a little primer and paint before you start bolting those surfaces back together.....or you could just store your JK down here with us where rust is a non factor :rock:
Same same Greg thx, I wish brother I wish:)
ChrisB said:
Coming from the eastcoast. No way would I put anything like that on in Canada.

Glad I don't have to worry now :)
Chris you are so negative :) but you honestly don't think I could prep it well enough with silicon and TLC?

Hightower

Indefatigable said:
I have had PSC full corners on my LJ for almost 4 years. Just took them off to weld on flares.

I had a bead of silicone along the top of all the plate to keep junk from falling into there. Nothing on the bottom side though.

Only rust was on the holes I drilled or chipped when putting in the bolts. And of course where road debris chipped the paint away on the underside.

Otherwise, really no rust. I was expecting alot and have very little clean up to do before I put the armour back on.

But, I live just outside of Vancouver, BC. Its not like it rains here much and I never have had covered parking. It was always out in the elements. Daily driver up until a few months ago.
Thx that's what I like to here!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Thx Eddie that's what I thought!

Same same Greg thx, I wish brother I wish:)

Chris you are so negative :) but you honestly don't think I could prep it well enough with silicon and TLC?

I dont think so, its the constant chafing of the paint between panels. Eventually it will give you problems.

Indefatigable

I dont think so, its the constant chafing of the paint between panels. Eventually it will give you problems.

Seriously?

The panels do not move. Bolt together and use a bead of silicone.

I removed the bolts from mine and had to not gently pry the armour off. It was not moving for anyone.

After 4 years, the only issue between the armour and body that was paint related... the paint came off the armour, most likely due to poor adheision of the paint to the armour. It was about the size of a loonie.

Top Bottom