Jeep Computer Help

Webe

A friend of mine has a bad computer on her jeep. Are they vin specific or as long as its the same model & engine?

Jiffy05

A friend of mine has a bad computer on her jeep. Are they vin specific or as long as its the same model & engine?

I don't see why it would be VIN specific. I believe as long as you have the computer for the right motor you should be fine.

pvanweelden

Just saw this was in tj, yj, cj section- I have swapped computers on both the 2.5L and 4.0L motors without any issues, but you would want to keep within certain age range, as coil packs, etc changed. Ie- if the jeep is a 97, try to get another computer from a 97-99

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

I'm not sure on this, but doesn't it matter what transmission it has too?

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Indefatigable

The computer cares about what engine and transmission. There are even differences about the year, especially if dealing with a XJ or YJ computer.

Can you describe the jeep more? Someone may be able to do a part listing search to help you out to determine the years that were compatible.

redpatchjeff

don't quote me on this - but I believe that it has to be specific for TJ - and transmission. And the computers are different 97-02 and 03-06. I could be wrong though, but I'm almost positive that's the break.

I'm not 100% sure that an XJ computer will work on a TJ, or vice versa, either.

Elusive

don't quote me on this - but I believe that it has to be specific for TJ - and transmission. And the computers are different 97-02 and 03-06. I could be wrong though, but I'm almost positive that's the break.

I'm not 100% sure that an XJ computer will work on a TJ, or vice versa, either.

the 97-99 jeeps are OBD I and the 00 up TJ's are OBD II so those would be different computers.
We really need more info. CJ's use ford ignition modules. YJ's use a variety of ignition systems and went from a carb to 2 different fuel injection systems.
I have a XJ 4.0 in my scrambler with a XJ computer but it doesnt control the automatic, there is another module for that.
Also, computers rarely go bad. what makes you think it's the problem?
Because they rarely go bad, a junkyard computer or one off ebay isn't a bad idea.

Top Bottom