Balljoint replacement advice

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Hey guys, I have a 2014 JKU with 415 miles on the clock. I already have 35s on it, and sometime soon, Im planning on getting C gussets welded on. I know that welding C gussets can ruin/hurt the OEM plastic balljoints, so I figured I'll replace mine with something a little beefier. A few people recommended these to me, so I was wondering if anyone can share their two cents on them... (Amazon has the 4 piece set for $119 which seems to be a great deal http://www.amazon.com/Alloy-USA-11800-Wrangler-Cherokee/dp/B009RP89V6 )

http://www.alloyusa.com/4-piece-ball-joint-kit-07-13-jeep-wrangler-99-04-grand-cherokee.html

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for any and all info.

JKFlyer

I don't know about yours but I keep hearing that synergy are great and cost around 200

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

RockyJk

I bought the Crown HD ball joints for my rubi 44 I'm going to swap in, they are supposed to be same quality as the synergy for a fraction of the price...

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
I have dynatrac prosteers. But I'm running 37s on. A PR44. I know several that have gone with synergies and are happy with them and their performance and reliability.

JKFlyer

I think Eddie told me pro steers will be the last SST u will ever need. They are supp to be the best

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you have someone that knows how to weld weld on the c gussets you won't ruin your ball joints. Hell I don't even know how to weld and I welded mine on with no issues.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
If you have someone that knows how to weld weld on the c gussets you won't ruin your ball joints. Hell I don't even know how to weld and I welded mine on with no issues.

Thats true, but from what I gather balljoints will go sooner or later thanks to my 35s, so I figured I'd be proactive and switch em out before they sh!t the bed.

As for the dynatracs, I have zero doubt that they are the best you can buy, however, they are far more than I will ever need and are fairly expensive. The reason I was looking at alloyUSA is the price..they seem built the same as synergies, but can be had for about half the price. Im not trying to buy the cheapest, but don't see a reason to spend more if I won't see a benefit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dynatrac is the best you can buy. AlloyUSA, synergy and crown HD are all the same thing. If you look, I think you will find that crowns are the most affordable.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Since my rig has less than 500 miles on it, how long can I get away with running the stock balljoints? I probably won't have a chance to wheel until spring (when I plan to drive to Death Valley) but still want to know the urgency of the situation. Maybe if I can wait a bit, I can upgrade my front axle shafts as well at the same time. What are some signs of a OEM balljoint thats going (not a complete failure?)

904Jeep

Since my rig has less than 500 miles on it, how long can I get away with running the stock balljoints?

I have 51k on my stock ball joints, the last 4k was with 35's and C gussets no problems so far

Sent from my LG-P930 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Army_Vet

Banned
Since my rig has less than 500 miles on it, how long can I get away with running the stock balljoints? I probably won't have a chance to wheel until spring (when I plan to drive to Death Valley) but still want to know the urgency of the situation. Maybe if I can wait a bit, I can upgrade my front axle shafts as well at the same time. What are some signs of a OEM balljoint thats going (not a complete failure?)

periodically (monthly) jack up the axle so the tire is about 2" off the ground. with a prybar, try to lift the tire. do this repeatedly and try to feel any movement in the balljoint. This can be done with a hand on the joint as your lifting the tire. you can also do another check by pushing in and out on the top of the tire. any movement is a sign of worn joints.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
periodically (monthly) jack up the axle so the tire is about 2" off the ground. with a prybar, try to lift the tire. do this repeatedly and try to feel any movement in the balljoint. This can be done with a hand on the joint as your lifting the tire. you can also do another check by pushing in and out on the top of the tire. any movement is a sign of worn joints.

Most excellent, will add that to my maintenance schedule. Do you feel anything while driving if your balljoints are going like a vibrating steeringwheel or something?

Army_Vet

Banned
Most excellent, will add that to my maintenance schedule. Do you feel anything while driving if your balljoints are going like a vibrating steeringwheel or something?

Yes you could... but you will only feel it when it is far gone. when it is in its early stages of failure you will not feel it.

It would most likely be an audible click, or clunk, when it is real bad, it could produce death wobble. if you check em periodically you will catch them way before it gets to death wobble, at the audible clunk level, if you're really paying attention, you will see uneven tire wear

Last edited:
Top Bottom