Prorock 44 without...

Yeti-09

Im trying to figure out if its possible to use a front Prorock44 axle without any axle shafts, locker/carrier, ring and pinion or a front drive shaft. So really just the houseing with the unit bearing and rotors...2wd only essentially.

I have my coil overs ready to be installed but I ran out of money for gears, lockers and axle shafts. So can I install the prorock "bare" so I can weld up the brackets only once for my coil overs? Or just I just sit and wait another 6 months till I get save up for the other parts. Well I should be able to finish the front axle in three months, but would still have to wait until xmas to put in the rear gears and locker. I know that you cant run two different gear sizes. I would just keep the front drive shaft off unit the rear was finshed.. Any help??

kaptkrappy

Disclaimer; This is what I've been told.

No you can't run the housing without axle shafts installed. The big nut on the end of the axle, out at the hub end, holds the hub in (pressed in the bearing, see photo) the outer bearing unit. Without the axle and nut, the hub could/would come out of the bearing and wheel and hub assembly will take off on their own down the road.

Front bearing.JPG

I wonder how the 2 WD front axle assemblies are rigged up so this doesn't happen ??? :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
actually, there should be no reason why you can't. unlike the old TJ where the bearing would just fall out without at least the stub shaft installed, the pro rock still uses factory knuckles which has a unit bearing design that won't allow the bearings to fall out and i can tell you for a fact that i've run my front end without shafts and without any problems. i would make sure that the front drive shaft is disconnected though and that the ends of your housing are plugged before you do it. if you will not have any gears installed, be sure to plug the diff where the pinion would come out as well.

kaptkrappy

actually, there should be no reason why you can't. unlike the old TJ where the bearing would just fall out without at least the stub shaft installed, the pro rock still uses factory knuckles which has a unit bearing design that won't allow the bearings to fall out and i can tell you for a fact that i've run my front end without shafts and without any problems. i would make sure that the front drive shaft is disconnected though and that the ends of your housing are plugged before you do it. if you will not have any gears installed, be sure to plug the diff where the pinion would come out as well.

I stand corrected. You are right (you knew that allready) I had old information.

The part number for the 2WD front bearing is the same for the 4WD housing, so it must be like WOL said.

Yeti-09

OK, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and just do it for now and get the other parts as I can afford them. I can use my rubi crawler to off set only having 2wd for a till while..

Another question, if i get the PR44 Unlimited-would I still need to add sleeves and guessets??:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and just do it for now and get the other parts as I can afford them. I can use my rubi crawler to off set only having 2wd for a till while..

Another question, if i get the PR44 Unlimited-would I still need to add sleeves and guessets??:thinking:

no. the unlimited comes with super beefy axle c's and super thick tubes.

Top Bottom