RedPatchJeff's 08 JK Build Thread

redpatchjeff

Hey guys. I'm new to Wayalife, but not new to jeeps. A little back story.....

I grew up around jeeps - had a 71 CJ-5, then an 89 wrangler sahara, endless cherokees and a grand cherokee.

In 2009, I bought a stock 97 TJ, with a 2.5l and some ugly ass rims :cheesy: quickly traded those off for some cragar soft 8's....

IMG00002-20100131-1124.jpg

Wheeled it like this.....

IMG00028-20100220-1003.jpg

Then built it up so it eventually became this:

163637_492666259028_666644028_5900881_1121162_n.jpg

Fully locked, winches, armor, etc. Wheeled it all over OH, IN, WV, and KY.

Then, I moved to Chicago and sold it - stupid mistake on my part.

About a year went by, and I got the bug again. Picked up this gem a little less than a month ago - an 08 sahara with low miles, freedom top, and 3.73 gears.

photo (1).JPG

My goal with this one is to be just as capable as the last, but it's also my daily driver, so it needs to be functional and somewhat comfortable. It is my dream to make it to JKX by 2015.

Here's my plan:

First round of mods (to be completed by March of 2014):

Teraflex 3" lift
35" tires on a 17" rim
4.88 Gears
Lockers
front axle gussets and sleeves
CB
RH cage
Intake
Exhaust
Winch
Bumpers (front and rear)
Misc. Skidplates

Second round of mods:

EVO Bolt on CO kit
PR44 front
5.13 Gears
37" tires
Beadlocks

Some of you may be asking "why go with a standard lift when you're going to CO's down the road?" - Well, my friends, budget is an issue - but also is the issue of learning to wheel a JK as opposed to a TJ. They're wider, higher, longer, and heavier. I need to understand how it will react on a standard coil sprung lift before I pull the trigger on the CO kit, even though it is my ultimate goal. I don't want to be the guy that throws a bunch of money at his Jeep, only to not know how to wheel it properly.

Suggestions are welcome, as are comments and criticism. Oh, and if you're ever in the CHI area, let me know. I'd love to find a group of guys out here to wheel/wrench/drink beer/jeep talk with.

I'll be updating this as I add things. Stay tuned, I'm excited for this new chapter in my Jeep life. :beer:

redpatchjeff

Thanks, and thanks for the PM about lifts. I'll keep on the hunt. It's going to be somewhat slow until after the 1st of the year....

Got my first parts in yesterday. Nothing special, just a CB radio and the kit. I know I started a thread about this yesterday, but I can't say enough good things about Right channel Radios.

photo (2).JPG

Now, if I had a garage and it wasn't sub zero here, I'd install this thing....

Top Bottom