mtnbiker's rebuild thread

mtnbiker995

A little over a year ago, I completely totaled my Jeep. The body shop wanted $22,000 to fix it and I wasn't willing to pay that much. I wasn't willing to get rid of my Jeep either though, so I put it on a trailer and brought it home.

It's been 12.5 months since I got it back on the road, and 15 months since I totaled it. It took me a little cash for parts, A LOT of time, and support from my family but I was able to finish it.

Oh also I'm a full time college student so that didn't help my already limited free time to work on it. Since rebuilding my rig, I've also been "building" it so after posting the pictures and explaining the rebuild, I will turn this into a normal build thread.

This build thread might be a little delayed but I'm finally getting around to it. Hope you enjoy!

My favorite pic of recent:

Heres a link to my online photo album including rebuild pics, build pics, and misc offroad adventures:

http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/mtnbiker995/library/Jeep build

Last edited:

Army_Vet

Banned
A little over a year ago, I completely totaled my Jeep. The body shop wanted $22,000 to fix it and I wasn't willing to pay that much. I wasn't willing to get rid of my Jeep either though, so I put it on a trailer and brought it home.

It's been 12.5 months since I got it back on the road, and 15 months since I totaled it. It took me a little cash for parts, A LOT of time, and support from my family but I was able to finish it.

Oh also I'm a full time college student so that didn't help my already limited free time to work on it. Since rebuilding my rig, I've also been "building" it so after posting the pictures and explaining the rebuild, I will turn this into a normal build thread.

This build thread might be a little delayed but I'm finally getting around to it. Hope you enjoy!

Cant wait To see it. Glad you stuck with it.

mtnbiker995

Bringing it home to begin work:

What the front end looked like after taking the bumper and grille off:

It's hard to tell in the pic but my track bar, tie-rod, and drag link are all bent from the crash.

Last edited:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Wow, good to see you stuck with it. What an accomplishment. I too was in a wreck ant damage was $20,000.00 the insurance wanted to fix it. It was less the 6 mos old when this happened. But a little over three months I was back on the road. If you search JK vs big rig tire you can see my thread and pictures. Keep up the great job and build hope one day to see you out on the trails. Also great career choice. Engineering.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

mtnbiker995

Here are just a couple more pics from tearing it apart and putting it back together

Damage to radiator from bumper hitting it:

Upper and lower radiator mounts:

Stripped down to the motor:
(after frame was straightened)

Last edited:

mtnbiker995

Straightening the frame:

My cousin and I hooked a log chain around the frame end and to the hitch of my truck then used a chain binder to pull it straight

Here are the measurements I went off of to know that my frame was back to square:
(I can bolt a factory bumper onto it, musta done something right!)

mtnbiker995

Tomorrow I should be dropping my front axle off the get regeared with Yukon Grizzly's to 4.10's. I had my rear done a about 1 month or so ago and have been un-able to find a Rubicon front D44 to swap in so I have to regear my D30

mtnbiker995

Started working on my wiring harness for my LED light bar. I had some extra weather proof automotive connectors so I made a few disconnect spots on the wires for right at the light bar, and another up by where the relay will be under my hood.

mtnbiker995

Control arms

My buddy gave me some aftermarket control arms that came on his Jeep! The only problem is that I don't know what brand they are. . .if any of you can figure it out I'd love some input, most of the joints could use a rebuild before I put them on my Jeep.

mtnbiker995

DIY Spod

I just ordered the parts last night to start building my own DIY Spod. I found a write-up thread by pvanweeld and thought that it looked pretty clean so I'm going to try and make one while using my build thread as a progress report instead of doing a full write-up. Of course if you have any questions or would like more pictures of something, just let me know and I'll do what I can.

Stay tuned over the next couple weeks as I try to make some progress on this!

mtnbiker995

Just got my stuff from Wayatek.com and should be heading to a car audio store today to get some of the wire I'll need to start wiring this bad devil up

mtnbiker995

Finished the wiring basics of my DIY Spod tonight. All I have left to do is buy a couple relays, and run the wires in my Jeep from the switch to the Spod then from Spod to accessory. This was much easier to make than I originally thought and I'm very happy with how it turned out:

I still have to label my wires too (switch 1, acc 1, etc) so I don't get confused when hooking everything up.

mtnbiker995

Clutch

I've had a little bit of a squeal from the throw out bearing for the last month or so but today it started clicking and squealing a little worse. . .Looks like it's time to go find the replacement one I ordered and make that my weekend project. I'll try to post up pics as I go

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I've had a little bit of a squeal from the throw out bearing for the last month or so but today it started clicking and squealing a little worse. . .Looks like it's time to go find the replacement one I ordered and make that my weekend project. I'll try to post up pics as I go

hopefully the swap goes well!

mtnbiker995

Got my throwout bearing changed! A little later than I had planned but either way, still got around to it. I'll try to post up some pics soon, it was kinda hard to remember to stop and take pics but I did manage to snap a few.

mtnbiker995

Time to get the night started:

First problem I ran into of the night, the heads were rounded off of my driveshaft bolts to the point where I had to cut one of them off:

Had to pull the shift linkage off. I also ended up having to pull the shift tower off of the top of the transmission but I don't have a pic of that

I chose not to take me exhaust off but if I would have, I wouldn't have needed to take that shift tower off.

Top Bottom