DIY angry eyes! By David the cheap-ass

David1tontj

So I recently fell in love with the angry eye look while giving my opinion on the wild boar grill...then, upon further investigation, I found that they don't make these headlight bezels for my Tj. Doesn't really matter since I am such a cheap ass I probably would have made my own anyway... Here's what I threw together this morning so my jeep can have some attitude..

First I put some tape over my bezels to determine the size and angle I wanted ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387142187.595448.jpg

Then I put the tape over some thin stainless I had laying around ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387142218.744373.jpg

I then plasma cut them out and ground the edges ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387142250.699822.jpg

Next I fitted them to the headlight bezels to ensure a tight fit, then I used epoxy to glue them onto my bezels- I had marked where they needed to go and only put epoxy under that area ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387142355.935699.jpg

After sticking them on I taped them in place for about an hour... Though the epoxy said 5 minutes ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387142418.474026.jpg

Next I masked them off and threw some paint on them.. I used flat paint. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387142469.923286.jpg

Voila!! Angry jeep! I then just used some goof-off for any overspray and called it good enough! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387142588.981814.jpg

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Those eyes are not angry...... They are PISSED OFF! Looks awesome Dave!

Sent from my iPhone

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Looks great bro! Good to see your feeling better enough to get back to tinkering with the jeep. When are you going to do the Tera low kit

David1tontj

Looks great bro! Good to see your feeling better enough to get back to tinkering with the jeep. When are you going to do the Tera low kit

I still can't lift over 5-10lbs... So I'm gonna have to convince a friend to help

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

David1tontj

You should have put them on the outside so it would look cross eyed.

If they weren't already glued on I would totally play with the black tape some more! Cross eyed, or maybe both looking the same direction like it's peeking around a corner!

David1tontj

You used goof- off for the over spray ?

Heck yes!! I use it all the time... Takes it right off.. I've tested it in a small area and can't find evidence of it being bad for my paint..

In this instance, I had taped off the paint, but some got through into the headlight.. Wipes off no problem

David1tontj

I think it would look better if the rest of the ring was black. but it looks good so far

I had originally thought that too, and even pulled the bezels out to paint them... But then changed my mind because I wanted the black to stand out and not blend in with the whole thing..

JKFlyer

That was my angry grill thread! Great way to give the look. If only I had a Plasma cutter :banghead:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

That was my angry grill thread! Great way to give the look. If only I had a Plasma cutter :banghead:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you for the inspiration!

The plasma cutter just makes it faster... You could do this with a grinder or even a dremel with a cutting wheel.

Top Bottom