How big of a tire can I run?

TJ--JK

Hi,

I have a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. Manual transmission. It is stock with the exception that I installed Bushwacker flat style fender flares.

I have stock 17 inch rims: black powder coated.

Stock tires are BFG Mud Ter 255/75 17.

How big of a tire can I go to without a lift kit of any kind?

I would like to go bigger but don't want the front tires to rub when I turn.

Thanks for your help.

TJ

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387150717.870278.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387150595.002481.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387150650.503209.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387150677.620463.jpg

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Greetings and welcome to Wayalife!
👋

You could run 33's with the stock wheels no problem. If you wanted to run 35's or their metric equivalent you would need to chop your stock fenders and run wheel spacers with stock wheels.

Hope this helps.

TJ--JK

Greetings and welcome to Wayalife!
👋

You could run 33's with the stock wheels no problem. If you wanted to run 35's or their metric equivalent you would need to chop your stock fenders and run wheel spacers with stock wheels.

Hope this helps.

I have Bushwacker Fender Flares, so I think I could run 35s. At least I think I could.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I have Bushwacker Fender Flares, so I think I could run 35s. At least I think I could.

Yes sorry didn't look closely at the photos.
Yes you could so long as you run spacers and you would have to address possible rubbing at the rear pinch seam and the front bumper (stock).
I ran 35's on a stock Rubicon suspension for a few months.

TJ--JK

Yes sorry didn't look closely at the photos.
Yes you could so long as you run spacers and you would have to address possible rubbing at the rear pinch seam and the front bumper (stock).
I ran 35's on a stock Rubicon suspension for a few months.

Did you have good luck with that?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Did you have good luck with that?

I went to an aftermarket front bumper and the rear pinch seams on the later 2013's come trimmed by the factory. I trimmed my rubi rails a couple of inches and I had aftermarket wheels so it wasn't a problem. It drove fine but isn't wheel it this way. I upgraded to an EVO enforcer lift less than 2 months later.

Here's how it sat before the lift:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387152593.058268.jpg

Jeeper90

Chop your front bumper and you can definitely run 35's. I wish I got my fenders before my wheels n tires. I plan on getting 35's possibly this summer

. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387154912.630539.jpg

JKFlyer

Do 35s as guys said. U will regret less but really should lift 2-2.5 inches to do it right. With flat fenders, its a great combo. Over 2.5
, u need to start doing other things like addressing driveshafts.

U can get budget lift kits like Rubicon express that will nicely do the trick imo

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rccrwlr

I have a 2014 jkur and 33's (285/70-17) rubbed on the sway bar at full turn with stock rims..

There is a write up some where but last time I rotated my tire I added a flat washer to the steering stop bolt and it fixed the rubbing issue. We run the same size tires with stock Rubi suspension. Cost was I think .25 cents!

--Rccrwlr

jeffd

There is a write up some where but last time I rotated my tire I added a flat washer to the steering stop bolt and it fixed the rubbing issue. We run the same size tires with stock Rubi suspension. Cost was I think .25 cents!

--Rccrwlr

I did that until I got the spidertrax wheel spacers. I like the stock rims just wanted a little wider stance without going outside the flares. I think I am going to go with 285/75-17 later today if all works out.

Top Bottom