Warn winch advice

Army_Vet

Banned
So a guy I work with has a neighbor with an older warn 6000lbs winch for sale for $100. I have not seen it yet.

But the story goes, Years ago he bought it for his jeep mounted it and never had to use it. Sold the jeep years ago and removed the winch and its been in his garage. Now he wants to clean out his garage and is selling the winch.

So my question is; Assuming the winch is in good shape and works. Should I even bother with a 6K winch. I know an 8K should be the minimum for my 2dr.
What are your thoughts

Rebel JK

Sounds like a good car trailer winch or maybe a samuri. Shoot if you can get a good enough deal maybe flip it on CL and make a couple bucks.

dahreno

Banned
I would buy it if it's in great shape . It could be a back up , or a rear mount winch . You can also sell it for more , especially if you test it to make sure it works . Does it have cable on it ?Most of the time I have used a winch , it's just been a little tug . It would have worked great for that.

Army_Vet

Banned
Does it have cable on it ?Most of the time I have used a winch , it's just been a little tug . It would have worked great for that.
Sounds like a good car trailer winch or maybe a samuri. Shoot if you can get a good enough deal maybe flip it on CL and make a couple bucks.
Like I said; I haven't seen it yet; I was just wondering if I should even bother looking at it. I guess it cant hurt to see what kind of shape its in. Two very good points were made here. Thanks guys

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
6K seems a tad light for a Jeep. I mean for $100, its better than nothing, but I'd scoop up a decent 8K when someone has it on sale for $349.

JKFlyer

Quadrate q winches sell in 300 range...I'd save up and get a winch where u know u won't have any issues. Worst time to find out it fails is when u r a tualky still k! Then u will be pissed!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Army_Vet

Banned
6K seems a tad light for a Jeep. I mean for $100, its better than nothing, but I'd scoop up a decent 8K when someone has it on sale for $349.

Quadrate q winches sell in 300 range...I'd save up and get a winch where u know u won't have any issues. Worst time to find out it fails is when u r a tualky still k! Then u will be pissed!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes with a 6K I was thinking the same thing, it was just the legendary Warn name that I was even considering it.

bl17z90

Yes with a 6K I was thinking the same thing, it was just the legendary Warn name that I was even considering it.

Mark the only downside I see to a light winch like that is 90% of the winching we do is pulling each other off of stuff. So while yes your 2 door is light and the 6k would probably work for pulling your own Jeep you may have trouble helping the other guys. But having it to pull yourself out of a bind is a good thing to have if someone else can't reach you.

I guess I didn't offer help either direction did I :thinking:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
And one more thing,cut those shock boots and get rid of the front skirt for the love of god. :cheesy:

I was advised by rancho to run the boots, especially during the winter. They said that the salt/calcium chloride will chew through the rod in a hurry. I haven't wheeled with them yet, but they are on there nice and tight, and after a 300 mile inspection (including driving through salt) it looks very clean in there.

bl17z90

I was advised by rancho to run the boots, especially during the winter. They said that the salt/calcium chloride will chew through the rod in a hurry. I haven't wheeled with them yet, but they are on there nice and tight, and after a 300 mile inspection (including driving through salt) it looks very clean in there.

Thats the issue with them its difficult to keep the inside of them clean. But if you can do it theres nothing wrong with running them. You just want to make sure no water or debris of any kind collects inside of them.

Top Bottom