What Type Of Gas?

rescue7

Hello all,

I was just curious as to what grade of gas everyone is running? I have read many times over, that premium, or mid-grade is not necessary in the 3.8L, or 3.6L. Anyone have a preference on this matter?

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Happy Trails to all,

Christopher

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Regular unleaded 87 octane.........never had a problem........I've run the high test before and never felt a difference in performance......nor mpg.........it was designed to run on 87 octane so that's what I give my rig.

Woodrow

07streetbobrider

I run regular too. If I'm not mistaking, the higher octane is to keep your motor from pinging..won't increase power. So if it's not pinging then you're good to go.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I run 87 but I have heard that running a higher octane once a month or so helps the motor burn cleaner and gets all the gunk out that can build up from the 87. I could be wrong on this

Sent from my iPhone

rescue7

I heard the same. Basically, these motors were designed to run on 87, and there is no benefit from running higher octane. I always have added a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner; seems to always keep stuff running nice.

Jeeper Jr.

I run regular too. If I'm not mistaking, the higher octane is to keep your motor from pinging..won't increase power. So if it's not pinging then you're good to go.

This is correct. The octane rating does not affect the energy content of the fuel. It just makes it harder to burn. If I'm running a high strung motor with a high compression ratio, for example, a lower octane will combust prematurely. A higher octane will not. It varies from engine to engine. In a nutshell, higher octane does not boost power or anything else.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

2013 Jeepster

87 octane here for many years on many cars. Engine knocking is a thing of the past. All vehicles now come with anti-knock sensors. As far as detergents on gas, federal law requires all gasoline grades to have the same amount of detergents, so premium does not have a higher amount. If your truck is rated for 87 octane, anything else is like flushing money down the toilet...but, it's your money!

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I have the Superchip programmed at the 91 performance setting, hence I use 91 octane. With the 3.8 I need all the help I can get.

2trackin

No need for higher octane unless compression is increased or the car is boosted ie supercharged or turbocharged. Or when there are modifications to the fuel and ignitions tables in the computer for performance gains. Higher octane simply means the fuel is more resistant to pre detonation ad is igniting before it should. High compression engines can cause ignition prior to spark from high cylinder temperatures and higher pressure than average. Boosted engines are very much the same. In no way shape or form for any stock 3.8 3.6 or even 4.0 would you need anything higher than 87 octane.
Simply use a decent fuel injector cleaner every once in a while. A quality fuel will do better for you than any octane rating or fuel additive on our engines. I always use shell fuels.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I have the Superchip programmed at the 91 performance setting, hence I use 91 octane. With the 3.8 I need all the help I can get.

Did it take a couple tankfulls of 91 to notice a difference? I tried mine on 91 on one tank but really didn't feel a difference?

JKFlyer

Gas & OIL

i use 87. i used superchip settings change to try 93 once and no diference noticed at all. 87 is best IMO. may i hijack this thread to ask if it's worth changing to synthetic motor oil?

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Did it take a couple tankfulls of 91 to notice a difference? I tried mine on 91 on one tank but really didn't feel a difference?

Well, not sure. but what I do know is I have more power off the line with the 91 tune compared to the 87 tune.

JKFlyer

Forget the hijack...found other threads on oil. 87!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Simmons

Iv ran the 91 in mine. A lot of people say it is I'm pissing money away. But I have noticed that when I fill up at a place that don't have the high grade I do notice a lil diff in it. For yo to notice a diff you would need to run a couple of tanks threw and keep the oil changed regularly. It don't really help with MPG but performance it will get up and go a lil better. But the jeep not built for racing and its self preference. Put some Octavian boost/fuel injected cleaner in every once in a wile and that will do the same far as keeping your injectors clean for a better running rig.

Top Bottom