Front Brakes

94YJBeaver

Since I am running 35's I have noticed that my stopping distance SUCKS!!! Is the Power Stop upgrade kit worth the money? What would you recommend?

MikeLisa

I'm glad someone started this thread. I've been wondering with increase in tire size and weight of bumpers if the brakes would have to be upgraded.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i don't know, i've run 37's on our white JK with just the stock brakes and was really happy with it. i now run 37's on our 2012 with stock brakes and still think they work pretty good. have you changed out your brake pads recently and if so, did you get a set of aftermarket pads?

94YJBeaver

I think I am going to do the brake line upgrade and a routine brake job and see what happens...I may look into the big brake upgrade kit...Thanks for the input...

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
I think I am going to do the brake line upgrade and a routine brake job and see what happens...I may look into the big brake upgrade kit...Thanks for the input...

If you want to keep cost down, look for upgrade brake pads and try that first. I still am very happy with the Teraflex kit. I can't believe the difference it made. While the stock brakes did OK, because of all of the hills here in Colorado Springs, when I had to mash them hard for a panic stop, they just were a little week. Now I can damn near stand the Jeep on it's nose when I mash them. There was that big of a difference. Check out the YouTube video about brakes from Teraflex too. They did a pretty good job with it.

ichthus

I upgraded to Rebel Off Road's pads and rotors. Stock Brakes had never impressed me, and we were starting to get brake shudder from warped rotors (@87k miles, second set of pads had about 40% wear left). We recently invested in an off-road trailer and I definitely wanted an upgrade.

ROR's drilled and slotted rotors look great, don't cost that much more than OEM, and the customer service was top notch. Very quick responses to questions via email or phone. They claim a 40% improvement in stopping power, which i'm not going to measure, but I do know I was very impressed during a traffic induced panic stop with the trailer loaded up on a camping trip a couple weeks ago.

94YJBeaver

I might look into that too...When I tow our camp gear trailer it do get a little dicey...

I upgraded to Rebel Off Road's pads and rotors. Stock Brakes had never impressed me, and we were starting to get brake shudder from warped rotors (@87k miles, second set of pads had about 40% wear left). We recently invested in an off-road trailer and I definitely wanted an upgrade.

ROR's drilled and slotted rotors look great, don't cost that much more than OEM, and the customer service was top notch. Very quick responses to questions via email or phone. They claim a 40% improvement in stopping power, which i'm not going to measure, but I do know I was very impressed during a traffic induced panic stop with the trailer loaded up on a camping trip a couple weeks ago.

alpa

If you want to keep cost down, look for upgrade brake pads and try that first. I still am very happy with the Teraflex kit. I can't believe the difference it made. While the stock brakes did OK, because of all of the hills here in Colorado Springs, when I had to mash them hard for a panic stop, they just were a little week. Now I can damn near stand the Jeep on it's nose when I mash them. There was that big of a difference. Check out the YouTube video about brakes from Teraflex too. They did a pretty good job with it.

How is your brake pedal feel? I did install big brake kit and master cylinder from Teraflex also and brake pedal feels very spongy? I'm not saying it's not working but even after stop when I press on the brake pedal it will go all the way to floor? Do you feel same with yours?

Forever jeep95

alpa said:
How is your brake pedal feel? I did install big brake kit and master cylinder from Teraflex also and brake pedal feels very spongy? I'm not saying it's not working but even after stop when I press on the brake pedal it will go all the way to floor? Do you feel same with yours?

Usually when your pedal feels spongy that means you have air in your brake system and it just needs to be bled! Hope that helps

alpa

Usually when your pedal feels spongy that means you have air in your brake system and it just needs to be bled! Hope that helps

Brakes were bled 3 times(2 by me and once by brake shop) so I'm sure there is no more air. I called Teraflex and they told me it will get better after 500 miles. Since I called them I drove it for 2000 miles and brake pedal has same feel? Thx anyway.

SoCalDozer

alpa said:
Brakes were bled 3 times(2 by me and once by brake shop) so I'm sure there is no more air. I called Teraflex and they told me it will get better after 500 miles. Since I called them I drove it for 2000 miles and brake pedal has same feel? Thx anyway.

Did you bleed the master cylinder as well? I chased a problem like this on my mustang and it ended up having one little bubble in the master cylinder. Shop swore up and down that it didn't have air in it but after running out of options I stopped listening to them and fixed it

alpa

Did you bleed the master cylinder as well? I chased a problem like this on my mustang and it ended up having one little bubble in the master cylinder. Shop swore up and down that it didn't have air in it but after running out of options I stopped listening to them and fixed it

yes I bleed master cylinder also twice. I don't know what else to do? Jeep will stop, but I can't get over that spongy feeling in the brake pedal after stop. In few days I'm leaving from Florida and going to Colorado and California, so I hope I'll have no major problems on the road and on the trails. Thx

StrizzyChris

i am sure larger callipers/pads and rotors would be an improvement. If your going to try and save some money and purchase new pads I would go OEM all day over a lifetime pad or anything like that from autozone. :twocents:

Top Bottom