E Lockers

jkuone

Just wondering, if I put E Lockers on my 2013 JKU, Do I have to get the factory wiring harness to make that work? I had a person tell me I did. True or false ?

heybob

If they are the stock elockers I'm almost sure you could bypass them. They work on a circuit like all other elockers. And if you go aftermarket like an eaton locker then you definitely don't need the factory harness.

Sc741

Get ARB lockers and you will be much happier in the long run with upgrades, controls, reliability etc.

suicideking

You do not need a factory wire harness. It's a simple 12v wire. I have a front Rubi D44 in a Sport. I just have a cheap LED switch to turn on the locker.

suicideking

What's everyone's opinion on E-Lockers vs Air Lockers?

It's more of a give and take -- If your main priority is to have the best locker, strongest, etc. Then air is the only way to go. If you want to have the most trouble free locker, electric is more reliable, though not as strong.

With an air locker, the air line can get torn, compressor can break, etc.

An ARB will also lock and unlock faster which is most helpful in the front for steering -- You might want to lock to get up an obstacle, then unlock to turn. The Electric will take longer to lock/unlock. So if there's a tight turn at the top, you might have trouble making that turn.

Last edited:

F41L

You do not need a factory wire harness. It's a simple 12v wire. I have a front Rubi D44 in a Sport. I just have a cheap LED switch to turn on the locker.

That was one of the things I was wondering about, how difficult was the swap? That definitely seems like it would be more in my price range rather than buying an ARB kit, etc.

Electric vs Air, that was exactly the info I was looking for Thanks a lot.

suicideking

That was one of the things I was wondering about, how difficult was the swap? That definitely seems like it would be more in my price range rather than buying an ARB kit, etc.

Electric vs Air, that was exactly the info I was looking for Thanks a lot.

It's straight forward, just a lot of labor. I had a shop do it, wire up the locker, install sleeve, gussets, diff cover. Definitely less expensive than PR or G2. I'm not planning to go larger than 37's and the shop that did it doesn't see many broken D44's.

:beer:

F41L

We should get together as group and make a sticky of how to do a rubi44 swap on non rubi wranglers. I have found about 4 different threads that talk about it.

Brewman

We should get together as group and make a sticky of how to do a rubi44 swap on non rubi wranglers. I have found about 4 different threads that talk about it.

Hey, F41L I think suicide king had a non-Rubicon electric locker installed in his Sahara. The Rubicon electric lockers are not compatible with Non-Rubicon axle housings or axle shafts and they are more expensive than aftermarket version. If you wanted to do the swap just change the whole axle assembly.

Sc741

I wouldn't necessarily say the lockers are more reliable either. There are many times when they just won't disengage or engage when you want them to. Driving backwards a bit to disengage them sometimes is not always an option. Etc.

If you can swing it just go for the ARB. Hence the long run comment ^^ axle shafts, housings etc.

dhughes

Banned
You can always go with a ox locker with the electric actuator. It operates a cable to engage or disengage the locker. If the actuator or cable breaks you can carry a small manual tool they sell to keep it locked. That way it doesn't screw up you ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

suicideking

Hey, F41L I think suicide king had a non-Rubicon electric locker installed in his Sahara. The Rubicon electric lockers are not compatible with Non-Rubicon axle housings or axle shafts and they are more expensive than aftermarket version. If you wanted to do the swap just change the whole axle assembly.

Not correct: I removed my front D30 and installed a Rubi D44 front which includes the locker. I have an ARB in the rear Sport D44.

Big D

Rubicon/Sport axle trade

I have a 2012 Sport Unlimited and my wife has a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited. I'm thinking of trading front and rear axles, so I have the 44 in the front, lockers and the 4:10 gears (on 35s, going to 37s). How difficult would it be to trade them? I have a few guys to help, thankfully.

Atch

I have a 2012 Sport Unlimited and my wife has a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited. I'm thinking of trading front and rear axles, so I have the 44 in the front, lockers and the 4:10 gears (on 35s, going to 37s). How difficult would it be to trade them? I have a few guys to help, thankfully.

It's easy, you'll need to add wiring for your lockers on your sport and 2 programmers (1 for each jeep to adjust for the gear change). Outside of that it's just unbolt & bolt up.

Top Bottom