Evo Plush ride coils installed

2trackin

So last night I got home to a few boxes sitting in the garage. Yes, my ups driver is that cool he puts my deliveries in the garage and locks up when he leaves.
Anyhow, it was the Plush ride coils I had ordered from Northridge oddly one set was from Northridge and the other drop shipped from Evo but arrived the same day.
OK I'll get to the story.
Pulled the 3.5" RK coils out and immediately noticed that the 3" Plush were actually longer. But the coil wasn't as tight or thick. The rears were definitely softer just from pushing on them against the ground. Another nice aspect is that now my rear coils aren't lose when the rear axle is at full drop. When dropped to the ground I still sat at the same height which was 29" from bottom the the frame at the bumper to the ground. The front also netted the same as before at 28" I would like to get rid of the rake I gave. But without having a large bumper, tire carrier or spare tire at all for that matter. I don't even have my rear seat in at the moment. So I guess this can be expected. I didn't get a chance to test drive it yet. Will do after work today and give a full report.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice to hear and I'm pretty sure that you'll find your ride to be more comfortable. :yup:

Night and day difference. Take a known route which before would jostle you around and see the difference. After changing my coils from Pro-Comp to the EVO Plush Ride it was amazing. You will love them.

R/
Will

2trackin

Yup, rides a lot better. Sort of has a squishy side to side feel somewhat but after a little while wasn't noticeable.
Now I just need to remedy this overly responsive steering. Seems like the slightest input bad big output. Hit a bump and move the wheel slightly and I feel like I'm darting around. I have my caster set at like 6* so that "shouldnt" be the issue. I just sort of want a dead zone from 0-say 3-4* rotation in the wheel so that when minor bumps are hit causing steering input there is slim to no output at the tires. If any of you live and drive on Michigan roads you'll know exactly why I want this.

JKUx

So last night I got home to a few boxes sitting in the garage. Yes, my ups driver is that cool he puts my deliveries in the garage and locks up when he leaves.
Anyhow, it was the Plush ride coils I had ordered from Northridge oddly one set was from Northridge and the other drop shipped from Evo but arrived the same day.
OK I'll get to the story.
Pulled the 3.5" RK coils out and immediately noticed that the 3" Plush were actually longer. But the coil wasn't as tight or thick. The rears were definitely softer just from pushing on them against the ground. Another nice aspect is that now my rear coils aren't lose when the rear axle is at full drop. When dropped to the ground I still sat at the same height which was 29" from bottom the the frame at the bumper to the ground. The front also netted the same as before at 28" I would like to get rid of the rake I gave. But without having a large bumper, tire carrier or spare tire at all for that matter. I don't even have my rear seat in at the moment. So I guess this can be expected. I didn't get a chance to test drive it yet. Will do after work today and give a full report.

How does the height compare with the old springs and curious to know what shocks your running.

2trackin

How does the height compare with the old springs and curious to know what shocks your running.
The ride height is almost exactly the same as the 3.5" RK coils. But like I said I'm a pretty light rig. No spare tire carrier, nor do I have my winch picked out and installed yet.
A four door or even a more accessorized rig may sit right at the 3" as advertised.
I'd say so far it was definitely worth it.
I am running Fox 2.0 reservoirs. And I think they may be valved a little stiff yet. But it was also only 20* when I test drove it. Everything is going to be a little stiff at those temps. My shocks only have about 1000 miles on them as well. I just turned 2k miles on the rig the other day.

JKUx

The ride height is almost exactly the same as the 3.5" RK coils. But like I said I'm a pretty light rig. No spare tire carrier, nor do I have my winch picked out and installed yet.
A four door or even a more accessorized rig may sit right at the 3" as advertised.
I'd say so far it was definitely worth it.
I am running Fox 2.0 reservoirs. And I think they may be valved a little stiff yet. But it was also only 20* when I test drove it. Everything is going to be a little stiff at those temps. My shocks only have about 1000 miles on them as well. I just turned 2k miles on the rig the other day.

Good to know, my rig is 4 door no winch bumpers or tire carrier and I was trying to decide what shock to run with these coils when I order up. Thanks for the info!

2trackin

Good to know, my rig is 4 door no winch bumpers or tire carrier and I was trying to decide what shock to run with these coils when I order up. Thanks for the info!

You may want to contact Evo to see what they suggest for a shock.
Idk if I'd even attempt emailing as my emails always seem to get lost or forgotten. I was in the middle of specing out some coilovers and had some questions and wanted to make sure I got the right setup for my ride height, weight, etc and I just didn't get any more responses. So I didn't pursue their coilovers anymore. After using rock krawler coils Idk if I'd even try their coilovers. So I'm still up in the air about where to go for them now. But sometime next year I'll probably make my move on them one way or another.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
If I'm running a 3.5" Rough Country lift right now, which Plush Ride would I go with to retain the same ride height? Jeep is a 2012 Unlimited Sport, spare tire, and factory bumpers (for now). Also the lift did come with fixed/extended front lower control arms, can I keep them on it? Or replace them with adjustable arms? I know most people are gonna say to put adjustable arms on it, but can I get by with the Rough Country ones for now? I know caster may be out due to the Rough Country/EVO coil combo, but will it be enough to worry about.

2trackin

If I'm running a 3.5" Rough Country lift right now, which Plush Ride would I go with to retain the same ride height? Jeep is a 2012 Unlimited Sport, spare tire, and factory bumpers (for now). Also the lift did come with fixed/extended front lower control arms, can I keep them on it? Or replace them with adjustable arms? I know most people are gonna say to put adjustable arms on it, but can I get by with the Rough Country ones for now? I know caster may be out due to the Rough Country/EVO coil combo, but will it be enough to worry about.

I think that you would be fine with the 3" coils. Like I said, I retained the same height as my 3.5" RK coils.
As long as your not going taller and your current arms are doing the job for you. There is no need to swap them. Especially if all your trying to upgrade is to a better quality ride.

2trackin

Don't forget the pics...before and after would be nice!:)

Well the before and after won't really look any different. Lol I kept pretty much the exact ride height as it was with the rk coils.
But I will post a couple anyways after work today.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I think that you would be fine with the 3" coils. Like I said, I retained the same height as my 3.5" RK coils.
As long as your not going taller and your current arms are doing the job for you. There is no need to swap them. Especially if all your trying to upgrade is to a better quality ride.

Very helpful, thanks! I just don't really want to loose any height, if I gain some, I'm fine with it.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
So do you think the 4" EVO coils would be too much? What if I add bumpers and winch down the road?

2trackin

So do you think the 4" EVO coils would be too much? What if I add bumpers and winch down the road?

It's just my guess but I think they designed them to yield the spec'd ride height fully loaded. Bumpers, tire carrier winch etc. Like I said, I'm so what lighter with no carrier, just Poison spyder BFH bumpers, soft top. And I got 3.5" from the 3". I'd just assume another 1/2" to be safe. I'm sitting on 37s and the 3" springs were perfect. Absolutely no reason to go any higher for me. And I just barely fit inside a standard garage door. An inch taller and I wouldn't be able to.

Attachments

• 1387493849320.jpg
    1387493849320.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 193

JayKay

Caught the Bug
It's just my guess but I think they designed them to yield the spec'd ride height fully loaded. Bumpers, tire carrier winch etc. Like I said, I'm so what lighter with no carrier, just Poison spyder BFH bumpers, soft top. And I got 3.5" from the 3". I'd just assume another 1/2" to be safe. I'm sitting on 37s and the 3" springs were perfect. Absolutely no reason to go any higher for me. And I just barely fit inside a standard garage door. An inch taller and I wouldn't be able to.

Sounds good, if you're running 37's, I think I'd be fine with the 35's I have on my unlimited. I don't think I'd like it much taller than it is now anyway. Plan on switching to 37's when I have the money to change the front axle and do some other mods to handle them. Thanks for the feedback and it's nice to get the information needed before making a big purchase only to find out I'm not happy with the outcome.

Top Bottom