Wheel Spacers

94YJBeaver

What is everyone's thought on Wheel Spacers? I am wanting to go wider but don't want to buy new wheels yet...I have heard they are not the safest to run on the highway...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What is everyone's thought on Wheel Spacers? I am wanting to go wider but don't want to buy new wheels yet...I have heard they are not the safest to run on the highway...

a high quality set of wheel spacers like the kind that spidertrax makes which bolts onto the axle and then the wheels bolt up to it, will behave no differently than would an aftermarket wheel with less backspacing, assuming that you install it correctly. cheap spacers like the kind that are 1/4" thin and just gets sandwiched in between the axle and wheel are DANGEROUS and SHOULD NOT BE USED.

i have run spacers most of my jeeps for some period of time and have never had any problems.

JandSJK

I ran a set of the spider trax on my xterra for over 5 years with no issue. Now i have a set on my JK. Have had them on for about 2 months and i like the added width.

I have a set of Spydertrax on my jk and have had no issues with them. And we run to Cali from Vegas sometimes. But have only had them on the jk for 4 months.

Hightower

wayoflife said:
a high quality set of wheel spacers like the kind that spidertrax makes which bolts onto the axle and then the wheels bolt up to it, will behave no differently than would an aftermarket wheel with less backspacing, assuming that you install it correctly. cheap spacers like the kind that are 1/4" thin and just gets sandwiched in between the axle and wheel are DANGEROUS and SHOULD NOT BE USED.

i have run spacers most of my jeeps for some period of time and have never had any problems.
Spacers work fine make sure the spacer is attached to the flange on your axle and to the wheel directly and that the studs from the axle are not making contact with the wheel! I learned that the hard way! Lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input guys...I am thinking about the SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers or the Alloy ones...

on a JK, unless you are willing to gring your wheel studs a bit, i would run the 1.5" spacers as the factory studs tend to be just a hair long and that can prevent things from mounting flush and lead to a failure.

Hightower

wayoflife said:
on a JK, unless you are willing to gring your wheel studs a bit, i would run the 1.5" spacers as the factory studs tend to be just a hair long and that can prevent things from mounting flush and lead to a failure.

I learned that the hard way!

Last edited:

JKbrick

Make sure you take the round keeper things (that's technical I know) off the studs if they are still on from the assembly process at the factory

JKbrick

The instructions and people on here say to remove them, I just chimed in in case you found some not new ones that didn't have instructions. I used the rugged ridge spacers and red loc-tite gel and so far so good. Torqued to 100 then checked at 90 so it didn't break the loc-tite loose ( after 100 miles )

Charlie Mike

Ran 1.5" Spidertrax spacers for over 30,000 miles before I upgraded my wheels. Never had an issue with them. Really solid.

Top Bottom