3.6 synthetic oil

Sugarbear

Just bought my 2014 3.6L jk sport 2 weeks ago is it worth changing it to mobile one synthetic or royal purple engine oil when it's time or should I just stay with conventional ??

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've run mobile 1 since the first oil change but I don't know if there is a benefit or not. I normally always run it in my vehicles though.

Army_Vet

Banned
Do a search for oil on here. there is a huge oil thread where there was a lot of great info shared, and some surprising info about royal purple.

Pilgrim55

I started to run it on mt 2nd oil change I was told that would be better time to start as far as the engine break in period. At lest that what. I. Was told

Sent from my LG-LS970 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffd

as great as mobil1 is it does not meet Chrysler's specs for any new Chrysler vehicle. so while it is under warranty I would only use oil that meets their specs. I use Pennzoil platinum plus synthetic as it meets Chryslers specs. MS-6395 is the spec I am talking about. google it and read all about it. I emailed Mobil1 and they replied back stating they did not meet MS-6395 specs at this time but were working on it.

StrizzyChris

I tried to look, but my 5 min search renered me lazy, but NFRs2000NYC has a ton of info on oils and testing results. PM him and im sure he can point you in the right direction or at least supply you with a thread link

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Hehehe, yea, the search engine on WOL is a bit difficult to navigate.

OP, here are the two threads you can read if you want to get an PhD in oil....

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?6985-Mobil-1-extended-performance-oil&highlight=royal+purple
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?11369-Which-oil-do-you-like&highlight=royal+purple

If you do NOT want to waste time reading and just my advice....

Go to your local big box, find any fully synthetic oil that is the correct weight...then find the cheapest of those, and buy it. 99% of the time, it's Mobil1. If you are looking for the best oil on the market, Amsoil is the undisputed king, but any big brand synthetic will do just fine.

jeffd

Hehehe, yea, the search engine on WOL is a bit difficult to navigate.

OP, here are the two threads you can read if you want to get an PhD in oil....

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?6985-Mobil-1-extended-performance-oil&highlight=royal+purple
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?11369-Which-oil-do-you-like&highlight=royal+purple

If you do NOT want to waste time reading and just my advice....

Go to your local big box, find any fully synthetic oil that is the correct weight...then find the cheapest of those, and buy it. 99% of the time, it's Mobil1. If you are looking for the best oil on the market, Amsoil is the undisputed king, but any big brand synthetic will do just fine.

curious why you would recommend someone use an oil that did not meet Chryslers ms-6395 spec on a brand new vehicle that was still under warranty? I believe Mobil1 is as good as it gets but until Chrysler says it is meets their specs I won't use it on a Chrysler product that is under warranty. Simply because its is a Chrysler it is going to have engine troubles lol.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
curious why you would recommend someone use an oil that did not meet Chryslers ms-6395 spec on a brand new vehicle that was still under warranty? I believe Mobil1 is as good as it gets but until Chrysler says it is meets their specs I won't use it on a Chrysler product that is under warranty. Simply because its is a Chrysler it is going to have engine troubles lol.

I explained this in an exhaustive manner on another forum, but I'll repeat it here just so we have some clear info.

1) Lets dispell the certification. Mobil was chrysler's choice oil and only fairly recently they switched to Pennzoil (mopar oil is now pennzoil.) A while back, chrysler changed their certification requirements, so Mobil1 was bumped out. It's not that Mobil doesn't meet the certification, its just that they are in the process of obtaining it, and the process takes 2 years. It isn't a "quality" issue that mobil1 doesn't meet the specs, it just needs to run all the tests so that they are able to certify it. Lab test results still put Mobil 1 far above 95% of synthetic oils on the market.

2) Law. By law, no manufacturer can force a customer to maintain their vehicle at the dealership. If that were the case, oil changes would cost $5000 at the dealer. Manufacturers also cannot demand that customers know anything about cars. As a result, the majority of people (unless you are getting free service like BMW) use quick lube places for oil. Mobil is still the #1 supplier of oil to manufacturers and quick lube joints. If a customer rolls to a Jiffy Lube and asks for their oil to be changed, more likely than not, it will be mobil oil that gets put in.

3) Proof of damage...as I stated in point #1, Mobil1 has proven to be far superior to most lubricants. If your motor grenaded from something, the chances of them blaming the oil (or even knowing anything about oil) are one in a million. They would need to send the oil out to a lab to TRY and figure out what oil was used, which would be nearly impossible, since traces of other oil would be there. Then they would need to (if they REALLY wanted to stick it to you) run their own wear tests to prove that your oil was inadequate for the motor, which obviously they can't prove since Mobil1 is superior to most anyway. They would have absolutely nothing in court if it ever came to that....but it never would because no dealer/chrysler will ever lay out the money for lab tests, arbitration costs, etc.

The point is, it is a non issue. Mobil1 would never be responsible for any engine problems, nor would a dealer/chrysler EVER be able to prove it. I have run countless labstests on my racemotors with various oils, and Mobil1 consistently returned fantastic results. Mobil1 is the standard oil on some of the best engines in the world (Lamborghini, bentley, AMG, BMW M cars, Aston Martin, etc etc etc) so again, Mobil1 causing any kind of problems on the pentastar would never happen.

When I switched my 2012 to Mobil1, I IMMEDIATELY noticed the engine ran smoother, much quieter, and never had a head tick.

Having said ALL that, if you are really THAT paranoid about it, then do what I said, (buy the cheapest fully synthetic big brand oil) but disregard Mobil1. Run Castrol, Valvoline, etc.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Here are Chrysler's Parameters to meet their specs....

ChryslerMSP1.jpg

ChryslerMSP2.jpg

ChryslerMSP3.jpg

ChryslerMSP4.jpg

ChryslerMSP5.jpg

ChryslerMSP6.jpg

Now most of the above is jibberish, but the point is, since regular Mobil meets their requirements, it is clearly due to the fact that Mobil and Chrysler aren't very fond of one another, and the fact that Chrysler switched from mobil to pennzoil is evidence of this. BTW, tons of dealers still use mobil oil, especially those dealerships that own more than one brand.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
as great as mobil1 is it does not meet Chrysler's specs for any new Chrysler vehicle. so while it is under warranty I would only use oil that meets their specs. I use Pennzoil platinum plus synthetic as it meets Chryslers specs. MS-6395 is the spec I am talking about. google it and read all about it. I emailed Mobil1 and they replied back stating they did not meet MS-6395 specs at this time but were working on it.

BTW, Pennzoil platinum is the ONLY oil to beat Amsoil in any category, more specifically, the cold start shear test...so you living in Montana, you are running the right oil for the job. :thumb:

jeffd

BTW, Pennzoil platinum is the ONLY oil to beat Amsoil in any category, more specifically, the cold start shear test...so you living in Montana, you are running the right oil for the job. :thumb:

yup oil is oil but being I do my own oil changes and keep receipts I would just soon not take a chance on using an oil that meets the ms-6395 spec. My good friend worked for Mobil1 for years and is a millionaire because of it so I know it really is as good as it gets. If I could trust that the 3.6L was going to make it to 100,000 miles without warranty work I would not worry about it. I just know how sucky Chrysler products can be lol.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
yup oil is oil but being I do my own oil changes and keep receipts I would just soon not take a chance on using an oil that meets the ms-6395 spec. My good friend worked for Mobil1 for years and is a millionaire because of it so I know it really is as good as it gets. If I could trust that the 3.6L was going to make it to 100,000 miles without warranty work I would not worry about it. I just know how sucky Chrysler products can be lol.

I keep records that a change was done, not what oil was put in it. Like I said, there would be no realistic way for a dealer/chrysler to ever know what oil what used in the vehicle, so I don't see it as an issue, but I get your point. I guess just wait until the certification goes through. :D In the meantime, run the Penn. Platinum, which is a fine oil as well.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
My Chrysler dealership uses Castro oil, not real happy about that. They do my oil changes for the sole fact they offer "engines for life" if they do all engine service. I've got it in writing.

They are betting they average person doesn't keep there car more than 4-5 years. I hope to prove them wrong.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
My Chrysler dealership uses Castro oil, not real happy about that. They do my oil changes for the sole fact they offer "engines for life" if they do all engine service. I've got it in writing.

They are betting they average person doesn't keep there car more than 4-5 years. I hope to prove them wrong.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you have that in writing, then I wouldn't give a rats ass if they used olive oil. It is also an insurance business model for them...your servicing costs through them over the years will amount to a brand new motor in 10 years time...so if nothing goes wrong, they got a bunch of money from you. If something goes wrong, they will get you a new motor with your money, so win/win for them.

BigBoy

NFRs2000NYC you present some great info. I have always been a mobile 1 user in my VW's without problems. I just got my 2014 and have a couple ?'s for you. When did you change to synthetic in your JK and what oil do you run specifically?

Top Bottom