RK 3.5 Mid Arm X Factor question

Ziloh22

Hey guys. On my 07 jku rubi. I have the 3.5 mid arm X factor kit. Sounds stupid but damn I'm stumped. When I make left turns I feel a rubbing noise and vibration, and sometimes it kicks the traction control on....I already removed my rear bumper ( it rubbed ), I have 1.5 spacers and I've checked everything even with a go pro and I can't seem to figure out what the hell is causing this issue.

Could it be the u joints going bad? Or the ball joints?

I had the jeep aligned and steering corrected by me at a shop.. The esp light was on but came off after the steering correction.

Any help is much appreciated !

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys. On my 07 jku rubi. I have the 3.5 mid arm X factor kit. Sounds stupid but damn I'm stumped. When I make left turns I feel a rubbing noise and vibration, and sometimes it kicks the traction control on....I already removed my rear bumper ( it rubbed ), I have 1.5 spacers and I've checked everything even with a go pro and I can't seem to figure out what the hell is causing this issue.

Could it be the u joints going bad? Or the ball joints?

I had the jeep aligned and steering corrected by me at a shop.. The esp light was on but came off after the steering correction.

Any help is much appreciated !

How big of a tire are you running? If it's only on left turns, did you check to see if maybe there's a clean shiny spot on your frame rails or lower control arms from your tires rubbing them? Depending on how big of a tire you're running, did you make sure to trim your pinch seams? As far as your ESP goes, did you make sure your steering wheel is dead on centered?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Could it be from the steering stabalizer bottoming out?

The OP said he feels "a rubbing noise and vibration". A steering stabilizer would not cause this sensation. More than likely, it's being caused by the tread of his tires making contact with the pinch seam as the Jeep dips on turns. Of course, he didn't mention how big of a tire he's running so it's hard to say for sure.

Ziloh22

The OP said he feels "a rubbing noise and vibration". A steering stabilizer would not cause this sensation. More than likely, it's being caused by the tread of his tires making contact with the pinch seam as the Jeep dips on turns. Of course, he didn't mention how big of a tire he's running so it's hard to say for sure.

I'm running 37x12.5 with 4.5 backspacing and 1.5 spacers. I will double check again but there are no signs of any rubbing on the seams or the rock rails for that matter. I'm going to trim the seams tonight front and rear and see if that solves my issue.

Ziloh22

And as for the steering wheel it is perfectly centered and rolls down the road straight... The tires don't even come close to the frame rail or lower arms.... It's odd because it is only when I am driving about 15mph or more and turn the wheels slightly left ( around left turns and such ).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running 37x12.5 with 4.5 backspacing and 1.5 spacers. I will double check again but there are no signs of any rubbing on the seams or the rock rails for that matter. I'm going to trim the seams tonight front and rear and see if that solves my issue.

37's and without your pinch seams/rocker guards trimmed - just as I suspected. Your backspacing will do nothing to prevent your tread from rubbing them and it takes a while for it to really show up. Trim them and I can almost guarantee that your rubbing will go away.

And as for the steering wheel it is perfectly centered and rolls down the road straight... It's odd because it is only when I am driving about 15mph or more and turn the wheels slightly left ( around left turns and such ).

And, in spite of what you're telling me, it still sounds like your steering wheel is slightly off. Your ESP is guided by your clock spring and if it's going off while turning slightly left, your computer is thinking you are in a slide and is trying to compensate for it.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
And as for the steering wheel it is perfectly centered and rolls down the road straight... The tires don't even come close to the frame rail or lower arms.... It's odd because it is only when I am driving about 15mph or more and turn the wheels slightly left ( around left turns and such ).

Try to replicate that same situation in a large parking area........make that slow 15mph left turn and when your hear the noise and feel the rub.....stop the Jeep and keep the steering wheel turned to the left........now get out and look at where the tire is in relation to the steering components....frame.....pinch seam.....inner fender.....etc......one or possibly more of those things could be the problem.......

Woodrow:beer:

Last edited:

Ziloh22

Alright guys. Seriously thank you all , I'm going to try all of these steps tonight. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks !!!!!

Ziloh22

And, in spite of what you're telling me, it still sounds like your steering wheel is slightly off. Your ESP is guided by your clock spring and if it's going off while turning slightly left, your computer is thinking you are in a slide and is trying to compensate for it.

I was just mentioning that my esp light came on after I did the lift. But when I got the alignment and steering adjustment it went off about 10 minutes after driving it. That was weeks ago.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was just mentioning that my esp light came on after I did the lift. But when I got the alignment and steering adjustment it went off about 10 minutes after driving it. That was weeks ago.

Fair enough. If hasn't come back on since, you're alignment shop was able to recenter your steering wheel and you should be good to go.

Ziloh22

So guys. I literally did all the steps you all mentioned. I removed my rock rails. And shaved my rear pinch seams. I went around a corner and boom I heard the slight vibration/ rubbing and my traction control came on. It then happened during a right turn too. :(

I'm at a loss here and don't really know what to do. I'm going to jack up the front end and check the wheel bearings.

Ziloh22

One other thing. I am running my stock flares but I see 0 signs of any rubbing whatsoever. I'm going to trim them up this weekend

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that you have RK arms which are something like an inch longer than stock, did you make sure to trim your rear pinch seam as well? Could very well be that you're just rubbing the fender liners. I'll have to take a pic of what I've had to do to my Jeep to clear 37's. I can tell you that I've got a LOT more trimmed than that.

Ziloh22

Being that you have RK arms which are something like an inch longer than stock, did you make sure to trim your rear pinch seam as well? Could very well be that you're just rubbing the fender liners. I'll have to take a pic of what I've had to do to my Jeep to clear 37's. I can tell you that I've got a LOT more trimmed than that.

I would def appreciate pics ! I almost want to remove the fenders and liners just to see if it still happens or not, One other note. My rear trackbar skims my passenger coil spring by a hair, there is a rub area on it, I don't think this would have an effect on the tires and traction control though.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387596914.325919.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387596934.492931.jpg

Serg5000

You should be able to loosen the jam nuts on both ends of the track bar and tilt it away from the coil a little. That should give you all the clearance you need.

Maertz

Banned
I would def appreciate pics ! I almost want to remove the fenders and liners just to see if it still happens or not, One other note. My rear trackbar skims my passenger coil spring by a hair, there is a rub area on it, I don't think this would have an effect on the tires and traction control though.

Typical rock krawler kit problem... They make wedges also, not sure if you have them on. Best solution imo is to cut off the old perches and rotate them. Weld back on.

Ziloh22

Typical rock krawler kit problem... They make wedges also, not sure if you have them on. Best solution imo is to cut off the old perches and rotate them. Weld back on.

Yea I have the wedges in. But the coils are still in a pitched position.

Top Bottom