New diff cover suggestions please

ATC_LV

I'm going to do a regear soon in my 2013 JKUR. Any suggestions for a good heavy duty differential cover? I've whacked them pretty good several times so some beefy ass covers will serve me well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair, you whacked what you have now and you were still able to drive off the trail, right? Aftermarket covers look good and are fun to have but really aren't as "needed" as some seem to think. But, I digress.

I personally like Dyantrac covers and that's what I'm running now. Of course, being that I run ProRock axles kinda make them a must :D ARB makes nice covers as well. Pretty much everything out there will work just fine and it'll all come down to what you think looks cool. :yup:

Jkjamesdawson

Rancho makes a front diff slider that offers great protection for a bolt on. I have one and its taken a beating. They also now offer a rear slider which I think rivals the AEV unit for more than $100 cheaper. All in you could have front and rear sliders for around $300 wich is likely less than what you would spend on two high end aftermarket diff covers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it's only for looks then I'll just save my money and pass.

LOL!! Being that they're cheap enough, getting them for looks isn't really a bad thing. Some like ARB's come with dip sticks to help you to know how much fluid you have which can be handy. Of course, some like Dynatrac have weep holes so you can just fill up your diff until the fluid starts to ooze out. That is real handy too.

Any opinions on skids instead?

Being that you have a 13, I would recommend an EVO Protek skid system to protect your oil pan, transmission cooler lines and sump pan. None of these things come protected from the factory. Aside from that, I personally wouldn't waste your money on replacing the armor that is already on your Jeep.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
LOL!! Being that they're cheap enough, getting them for looks isn't really a bad thing. Some like ARB's come with dip sticks to help you to know how much fluid you have which can be handy. Of course, some like Dynatrac have weep holes so you can just fill up your diff until the fluid starts to ooze out. That is real handy too.

Being that you have a 13, I would recommend an EVO Protek skid system to protect your oil pan, transmission cooler lines and sump pan. None of these things come protected from the factory. Aside from that, I personally wouldn't waste your money on replacing the armor that is already on your Jeep.

i heard the protek has a newer design, with holes for heat? have you seen these or are they the same as shown on their website?

mtnbiker995

How do the weep holes work and not allow water/dirt in? Are they like a one way valve? They sound interesting

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i heard the protek has a newer design, with holes for heat? have you seen these or are they the same as shown on their website?

Honestly, I'm not sure but I wouldn't doubt it. Maybe EVO will see this post and let us know :yup:

How do the weep holes work and not allow water/dirt in? Are they like a one way valve? They sound interesting

The covers have a plug. You just remove it when filling up your diff and the reinstall it once the fluid starts to ooze out.

JKFlyer

I like my poison Spyder ones...look cool after u paint....about 100 each....much cheaper than arb

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1387588917710.jpg
    1387588917710.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 431

dgriz

I like my poison Spyder ones...look cool after u paint....about 100 each....much cheaper than arb

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm leaning towards the Poison Spyder covers myself, not because of looks, but because they are slightly smaller than the housing so you won't catch the lip on a rock and start leaking fluid. That's already happened with my stock covers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm leaning towards the Poison Spyder covers myself, not because of looks, but because they are slightly smaller than the housing so you won't catch the lip on a rock and start leaking fluid. That's already happened with my stock covers.

Don't get me wrong but, you don't need to buy something to address what you have seen with your stock covers. A FREE and easy fix for it is to simply grind the bottom of your cover's lip so that it sits slightly above the base of your differential housing.

dgriz

Don't get me wrong but, you don't need to buy something to address what you have seen with your stock covers. A FREE and easy fix for it is to simply grind the bottom of your cover's lip so that it sits slightly above the base of your differential housing.

Damn, Eddie, now that just makes way too much sense for me to have thought of it on my own. There's a couple hundred dollars I can use somewhere else (that I probable don't need to :cheesy:).

Between you and my wife, I'll never get to buy another thing for my Jeep! ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn, Eddie, now that just makes way too much sense for me to have thought of it on my own. There's a couple hundred dollars I can use somewhere else (that I probable don't need to :cheesy:).

:cheesy: Nothing wrong with buying covers as they do look cool. Just trying to put some perspective on things is all. :yup:

dahreno

Banned
I use Rancho diff. covers and they have been great . I cannot tell the difference between them and Dynatrac except the color .I may be wrong but , I have been told that ARB diff. covers don't hold as much fluid .

BigBoy

Woah woah. If your like me than the money your wife lets you allocate to the jeep is very precious. :). No one was trying to talk you out of gifting your Jeep with a new shiny something. I think Eddie, and the rest of us, just want to make sure you use those funds the best you can! ;)

Top Bottom