Too wide?

JethroJK

Wife wants to upgrade her tires on her 2013 Sahara Unlimited from the factory 255/70R18 to Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/65R18. The Nittos are about 1 inch wider, so my question is do you think they will rub if installed on factory rims when in a full turn?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wife wants to upgrade her tires on her 2013 Sahara Unlimited from the factory 255/70R18 to Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/65R18. The Nittos are about 1 inch wider, so my question is do you think they will rub if installed on factory rims when in a full turn?

It's probable on the front air dam if you still have it, at a full turn and when flexing if you take your Jeep off road. So you know, a Nitto Trail Grappler of that size will measure closer to an advertised 35" tire.

I had 285/70 duratracs on mine before the lift and they didn't rub

Were you running Nitto Trail Grapplers and were they mounted on an 18" wheel? Every tire make of the same size measures differently and I think it would be beneficial to the OP if you were comparing apples to apples.

aircrew423

It's probable on the front air dam if you still have it, at a full turn and when flexing if you take your Jeep off road. So you know, a Nitto Trail Grappler of that size will measure closer to an advertised 35" tire.

Were you running Nitto Trail Grapplers and were they mounted on an 18" wheel? Every tire make of the same size measures differently and I think it would be beneficial to the OP if you were comparing apples to apples.

Ah good call mine were on stock 17s but they should be about the same width
9y2ahyva.jpg

JethroJK

To accommodate these bigger tires she is wanting a minimum lift because she doesn't want it to high. So I showed her a 1.5 inch leveling kit from TeraFlex. I think that and the tires will give her about 2 inch increase average.
My concern is the Jeep does have some front end rack but there are no plans to install aftermarket front bumper. The leveling kit shouldn't make the front end higher than the rear or would it? Also I would need to install new shocks or get extensions but to do it right new shocks I think Rancho but she wants the ride to remain the same. Maybe Blistens.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To accommodate these bigger tires she is wanting a minimum lift because she doesn't want it to high. So I showed her a 1.5 inch leveling kit from TeraFlex. I think that and the tires will give her about 2 inch increase average.
My concern is the Jeep does have some front end rack but there are no plans to install aftermarket front bumper. The leveling kit shouldn't make the front end higher than the rear or would it? Also I would need to install new shocks or get extensions but to do it right new shocks I think Rancho but she wants the ride to remain the same. Maybe Blistens.

It depends on who you talk to. In my opinion, a Jeep with a rake looks correct and a 1.5" leveling kit make it look nose high or ass low. .75" would be a true "leveling" in my opinion but for your purposes, I might recommend just installing something like a Full Traction budget boost as it comes with 2" front spacers and 1.5" ones in the rear. If I recall, Rubicon Express has something similar too.

StrizzyChris

If there are no plans for a front bumper or winch, a 3/4" spacer would be perfect IMHO. I used a 1.5" spacer up front only and with my bumper, stinger, and winch combo I still have a SLIGHT nose down rake. Just know that by taking away that rake, you'll lose 1mpg+/- due to aerodynamics.

JethroJK

It depends on who you talk to. In my opinion, a Jeep with a rake looks correct and a 1.5" leveling kit make it look nose high or ass low. .75" would be a true "leveling" in my opinion but for your purposes, I might recommend just installing something like a Full Traction budget boost as it comes with 2" front spacers and 1.5" ones in the rear. If I recall, Rubicon Express has something similar too.

I will have to look into that. I am of the same opinion that the nose high and ass low does not look correctly. I do like the even or slightly nose down appearance. I think this, some new shocks, and some slightly larger tires and she will be happy.

If there are no plans for a front bumper or winch, a 3/4" spacer would be perfect IMHO. I used a 1.5" spacer up front only and with my bumper, stinger, and winch combo I still have a SLIGHT nose down rake. Just know that by taking away that rake, you'll lose 1mpg+/- due to aerodynamics.

She has no plans for any large modifications like bumpers, winches, or huge lifts. She really wants it to have a slightly larger stance because it looks so small next to mine. :yup: The real reason is she wants to take it on the beach and down some dirt roads with some meat under it, gives her a sense of security I guess.

Thanks for the feedback. :rock:

JethroJK

So I looked at the Full Traction 2" Econo Lift. When ordering from Quadratec it gives an option to order the Full Traction shocks or Bilstein 5100 shocks. My wife's Jeep is a Sahara and we are lifting it to only put bigger tires on it for the beach and her occasional dirt roads around here. My question is the factory shocks compared to the Bilsteins, what is the ride difference? Is there another shock I should consider?

JethroJK

Aftermarket tire carrier?

Does anyone know whether or not a 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler fit on the factory tire carrier? I am thinking not but thought I would ask.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I looked at the Full Traction 2" Econo Lift. When ordering from Quadratec it gives an option to order the Full Traction shocks or Bilstein 5100 shocks. My wife's Jeep is a Sahara and we are lifting it to only put bigger tires on it for the beach and her occasional dirt roads around here. My question is the factory shocks compared to the Bilsteins, what is the ride difference? Is there another shock I should consider?

Get the 5100's. The FT shocks are just standard old school hydro's that will give you a substandard ride to what you have with the factory shocks. The 5100's are good monotube's that will offer a better ride. Another shock to consider are the Rancho 7000MT's as they are similar to the 5100's only more affordable. Whatever you get, I personally would recommend that you stick with more modern monotubes and steer clear of old hydros.

Does anyone know whether or not a 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler fit on the factory tire carrier? I am thinking not but thought I would ask.

Being that you're keeping your factory wheels, you'll most likely need to install an adapter to make it work. You may be able to remove the rubber isolators to do it too but, if you do go this route. You really should take the time to cut them down and reinstall them so that they press firmly against the sidewall of your spare. Even if you go the adapter route, I would highly recommend that you install a set of Daystar extended isolators to do the same thing. Without them, your tire will jiggle around and over time, that will cause tailgate damage.

iflyhi22002

Here is my 13 Sahara with stock tires and the Teraflex leveling kit. It sits even when you measure to the fender on front and back. The second pic is with the leveling kit and 285/75r18 toyo tires, measure 34" tall mounted and installed. I have a 2.5 lift going on Saturday. 1387988437307.jpg 1387988451067.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clark Griswold

Here is my 13 Sahara with stock tires and the Teraflex leveling kit. It sits even when you measure to the fender on front and back. The second pic is with the leveling kit and 285/75r18 toyo tires, measure 34" tall mounted and installed. I have a 2.5 lift going on Saturday. View attachment 61512 View attachment 61513

Look forward to seeing how that Full Traction kit looks and whether you lose some rake or not. I am with Eddie that rake looks better than level and I want to do a budget boost like what you are doing. Happy wrenching.

JethroJK

Get the 5100's. The FT shocks are just standard old school hydro's that will give you a substandard ride to what you have with the factory shocks. The 5100's are good monotube's that will offer a better ride. Another shock to consider are the Rancho 7000MT's as they are similar to the 5100's only more affordable. Whatever you get, I personally would recommend that you stick with more modern monotubes and steer clear of old hydros.

Being that you're keeping your factory wheels, you'll most likely need to install an adapter to make it work. You may be able to remove the rubber isolators to do it too but, if you do go this route. You really should take the time to cut them down and reinstall them so that they press firmly against the sidewall of your spare. Even if you go the adapter route, I would highly recommend that you install a set of Daystar extended isolators to do the same thing. Without them, your tire will jiggle around and over time, that will cause tailgate damage.

Yes, I was going to stick to a modern monotube like the 5100 and I will have to look into 7000MTs. I had already considered the alteration of the isolators to prevent jiggling. I did some measuring and it is borderline that the spare may attached to the factory mounting studs. I probably will just get the adapter and not deal with any issues.

Thanks again for the info. Looking forward to getting her Jeep off the ground a little bit and her some new rubber.

JethroJK

Here is my 13 Sahara with stock tires and the Teraflex leveling kit. It sits even when you measure to the fender on front and back. The second pic is with the leveling kit and 285/75r18 toyo tires, measure 34" tall mounted and installed. I have a 2.5 lift going on Saturday. View attachment 61512 View attachment 61513

Those are stock wheels right? Any rub or do you gave spacers? The wife wants to keep her 18 inch polished wheels so trying to find a larger tire but avoid spacers.

Ricky Zee

AEV Budget boost

Regarding the AEV spacer lift...I installed mine solo at thanksgiving and am happy with the results so far. Upgraded to 17" Qtec moabs and 33" km2s. This is my first time modding a rig and as long as you have access to a level driveway and a good collection of standard sockets, some elbow grease and basic mechanical know how, you're ok. I need to get back under laVerde to recheck torque to address some phantom front-end sounds (I could just be OCD'ing), but aside from that, she seems good. Can't wait to go explore some backwood trails w/ my wife and friends. To me, this was a good ($300+/-) introduction to suspension modding and learning about my rig. My girl's approval is golden (plus, she was glad the garage was emptied of the boxes accumulated over the past several months!!!) aaand it's not too high..

ps...also installed Bilstein 5100s. excellent!

la Verde cropped.jpg

JethroJK

Regarding the AEV spacer lift...I installed mine solo at thanksgiving and am happy with the results so far. Upgraded to 17" Qtec moabs and 33" km2s. This is my first time modding a rig and as long as you have access to a level driveway and a good collection of standard sockets, some elbow grease and basic mechanical know how, you're ok. I need to get back under laVerde to recheck torque to address some phantom front-end sounds (I could just be OCD'ing), but aside from that, she seems good. Can't wait to go explore some backwood trails w/ my wife and friends. To me, this was a good ($300+/-) introduction to suspension modding and learning about my rig. My girl's approval is golden (plus, she was glad the garage was emptied of the boxes accumulated over the past several months!!!) aaand it's not too high..

ps...also installed Bilstein 5100s. excellent!

View attachment 62053

Great looking Jeep. Installing your own lift is a great way to get into it. I installed all the items on my Jeep and now the wife wants hers done. I was considering the 5100s as well. Right now the AEV has the extensions but we will see which route I take. Her Jeep is a 2013 Sahara unlimited and she doesn't really want anything done to it but a little higher and some larger tires.

JethroJK

So the Nitto Trail Grappler site shows that the 275/70R18 is 11.10 inches wide and will fit on a wheel that is 7 - 8.5 inches wide with the 8 inch being the nominal size. The 18" 7-Spoke Sahara stock wheels are 7.5 inches wide.

In the math world that seems like they would fit but the question is whether or not they will rub. As Eddie mentioned early in this thread it will more than likely rub on the air dam which can easily be modified but if it rubs on suspension parts that is where spacers will come into play. I honestly don't run spacers or ever have. I don't like the thought of them but hey maybe they work well. My wife doesn't want to loss her wheels because she really likes them.

With the goal of getting her Jeep a little higher to accommodate larger tires just solely so she can hit the beach and a few trails I am trying to not dump a ton into this modification but want it done right. I like the trail grapplers but is there another tire out there that is larger that I may be missing that would get the job done, avoid rubbing, and fit her factory tire?:thinking:

Top Bottom