1310 front driveshaft install question

texas05

I removed the stock flange to install a new pinion yoke and it has a dust cover for the seal. The seal cover is pressed on to the stock flange and the new yoke has nothing. I attached a picture. Is it correct to install the new yoke as is? I will grease outside and put some silicone on splines before installing. Just want to make sure I'm doing it right as I have never had one of these apart before.

Thx,
Don

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 272

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I removed the stock flange to install a new pinion yoke and it has a dust cover for the seal. The seal cover is pressed on to the stock flange and the new yoke has nothing. I attached a picture. Is it correct to install the new yoke as is? I will grease outside and put some silicone on splines before installing. Just want to make sure I'm doing it right as I have never had one of these apart before.

Thx,
Don

That's the way my new yoke went on for my 1310 tom woods shaft. No flange on the after market parts.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
X2! that's the way mine installed. From what I understand that's normal not to install that dust shield

JKbrick

Isn't there some process with torquing it properly since the pinion is shimmed or has some relation to spacing with the ring gear?

pastorwug

Nope. Just set to torque setting specified by the manufacturer and move on.

There is a specific and quite exact way of installing your yoke that requires measuring rotational torque.
Google the install and you'll see it isn't just a torque a go operation to do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Serg5000

There is a specific and quite exact way of installing your yoke that requires measuring rotational torque.
Google the install and you'll see it isn't just a torque a go operation to do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Installed a Tom woods setup months ago. Torqued it and done. No issue. But I guess I must have gotten lucky as I did not do as your suggesting.

I did mention to follow the manufacturers suggestions.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
My Tom Woods instructions said torque the pinion nut to the manufacturer specs. I believe 160-200 ft/lb. My torque wrench only went up to 160 and I've had no issues.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

texas05

Yes I saw the write up. It didn't mention the dust seal.

Anyone have an issue without it? I'm going to run it without and when I get a gear change I'll have them put on one.

Beyrgut

The instructions with my JE Reel 1310 said it may or may not a have a dust shield. If it doesn't don't worry its not required and don't try and re-use the old one. Or at least something along those lines.

coach

You should torque it back to 160 ft lbs. If not tightened back correctly, I have seen the yokes come lose. This will cause a leak, vibrations and if let go long enough, bigger problems. The dust shield itself is not a required part. The seal itself is what keeps the elements out.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Bolt on the new yoke as is. The dust cover isn't necessary, its actually best not to have it because sit keeps dust in.

Top Bottom