Suggestion for Write Up

hydroslyder

Hey Everyone,

So with all the talk recently about the upcoming rubicon trip it got me thinking about the pre-trip inspections and preparations y'all go through. I would be very interested to see a write up done covering a thorough check/maintenance of the various components of our Jeeps. I think of myself as being pretty technically savvy however, without knowing what to look for specific too the Jeep, checking over everything not only is time consuming but it would be easy to overlook something. Ultimately, I think it would be a great addition to this community if someone was to write out a nice inspection procedure (with pictures ;) )

Also, I would be extremely interested to see a nice list of what one packs for a multi-day rubicon trail excursion or any similar expedition. What spares do you carry, what tools, what camping equipment, recovery equipment, etc. It is likely quite a list but while these things are fresh in peoples heads with the upcoming trips I have a feeling numerous site visitors would make great use of these two write ups.

Just my 0.02 cents, hope someone feels ambitious enough to tackle these write up requests :)

Chris

jktubby

i agree to have a pre-inspection list made. Maybe wayalife or someone who trails a lot can write one up :thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Great idea. It would be a perfect sticky.

GCM 2 posted up a good spare parts list in the JKX thread. WOL (I think) posted up a vehicle check list in the Rubicon run thread.

In the next month or so, I plan to put together my attempt at a pre-trip list in preperation for the JKX. My hope is that someone who knows what they are doing can tell me what I missed. :cheesy:

If someone doesn't do it before then (doubtful) I will be happy to post it up for comment.

good idea, something you can download and print out to check off before every run would be beneficial for people just getting into wheeling. here is what I normally do just to get some things going towards the list. Some of this might not be necessary but I do it anyway. I spend 30-45 mins crawling around under the jeep before a trip especially if its remote.

Pre-trip inspection (in addition to normal maintenance):
-check for play in: u-joints, tie rod ends, steering components , ball joints
-top off all fluids
-check all the after market parts bumpers sliders etc. to make sure everything is still bolted down tight. bolt on sliders can get loose after some good hits.
-inspect the welds on suspension components such as long arm mounts, coil over mounts, axle brackets
-check winch operation if it hasnt been used in a while-inspect line

pretty much anything that takes a lot of stress on the trail I take a look at, as for what I bring along

-spare u joints for axle and drive lines
-spare front shafts
-serpentine belt
-extra fluids of every kind
-first aid kit
-warn recovery kit
-spill kit
-various d-rings
-tow rope
-6ton bottle jack or high lift (I just bring the bottle jack, as I found out the hard way that the high lift will max out before it can pull a tire off the ground ;) )
-tools tools and more tools
-space blanket, MRE's, fire extinguisher, duct tape, zip ties all that mic. stuff
-bear spray!

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but thats a pretty basic list. There is a lot more things I could use and will probably pick up like a welder, spare hoses, the little u joints used in the steering linkage to the steering box. You never can be over prepared :thumb:

Last edited:

hydroslyder

I think I still have a TM somewhere from the hmmwv, that thing is a whole different beast underneath, independent front and rear axles, geared hubs, redonculous torque specs. The first time I crawled under the jeep after having worked on the hmmwv I was like...awwww everything is miniature :D I didn't do much actual labor on the hmmwv, mostly design work.

Top Bottom