Painting Armor

ltdanlj

So, on my rig I'm currently running Metalcloak front/rear fenders, flares, and rocker guards. Because I knew that everything would get dragged against rocks and trees, I opted to paint everything myself. The original paint I used was VHT Rollbar paint. It went on very nice, and had no uneven spots on striping on the big sections. The problem I'm running into is that They require touch-up ever few months :mad: .

So I'm ready to try a different paint for my armor... What does everybody else use?

MTG

Caught the Bug
If it's on a place you know is going to get beat up, I'd just use a rattle can. :yup:

coach

The best thing to use if you're going to do a DIY job on armor is Rustoleum textured paint. This is very easy to match up and touch up after it's scraped on the rocks. Added bonus is that it matches up pretty well with the textured powdercoat finish that many manufacturers use on the market. If you're wanting something a little different though, Duplicolor wheel coating does very well. Doesn't chip as easy as regular paint and if done properly and cleared afterwards, can look really nice. It's a bit tougher to touch up than textured paint though.

I also take the extra step of using spray on undercoating on any surface that touches metal and also on the undersides of armor. This prevents scraping of metal to metal which leads to rust and does a VERY good job on inner fender wells to prevent chipping and such that you get from gravel and road driving.

Rebel JK

Rattle can x3. I used bedliner spray on my homebuilt sliders originally and when it came time for the 2nd or 3rd time to touch up i said screw it. I always have a can or 2 of flat black around.

Top Bottom