Dana 30

Serg5000

I was thinking about taking a dana 30 from a JK and dropping it into a TJ so we can run 5:13's. I know the JK axle is over five inches longer so I was thinking about cutting it to length. One issue I see is needing new C's.
Does anyone know where I can buy new C's?

If anyone has experience with this project please chime in. I can use all the input I can get.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it really over 5" longer? I was always under the impression it was about 4". Oh well, I digress. I would contact Dynatrac as I know they are a distributor of Mopar parts and can get their hands on things like end forgings. Of course, Currie uses factory end forgings as a default on some of their axles and you might be able to order one from them as well. Of course, that'll just be the start of what you need. You'll also need new brackets and mounts welded on too. When all is said and done, it might just be a cost effective to regear what you have.

TJ KID

What axle is on your TJ? Why not just re gear it with 5.13 and be done. Why spend the mone uh and time for new brackets, mounts and cutting welding..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Serg5000

First of all. Thank you guys for replying so fast.

I was under the impression you couldn't put 5:13's in a low pinion dana 30 which was factory in the 2004 TJ.
Reason I was thinking of going this route, is I have a dana 30 I took out of my JK with 5:13's already in it. I planned on buying new brackets. Then I was looking for the end forging's to install onto the Jk 30 once I cut it to length.

So having said that. All I would need is the new brackets, and new ends. As I said before. Unless I missed something.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First of all. Thank you guys for replying so fast.

I was under the impression you couldn't put 5:13's in a low pinion dana 30 which was factory in the 2004 TJ.
Reason I was thinking of going this route, is I have a dana 30 I took out of my JK with 5:13's already in it. I planned on buying new brackets. Then I was looking for the end forging's to install onto the Jk 30 once I cut it to length.

So having said that. All I would need is the new brackets, and new ends. As I said before. Unless I missed something.

You'll need to cut off the lower spring perches and install ones for a TJ and in the right location. I can't remember but, if I recall, in 2003, TJ's stopped using speedometer gears in the T-case. I don't know if they started to come with speed sensors but, if they do, you will need to get unit bearings that will accommodate them. Having said all that, how big of a tire are you planning on running? I ran 37's on my old TJ and felt that the 4.88's I had were sufficient. Just like a JK, at 5.13, your pinion will be quite small. Not something I would recommend anyway.

Serg5000

The plan was to install run 35's.
One other bit of info. The TJ has a four speed auto with over drive. Is that going to make a difference?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The plan was to install run 35's.
One other bit of info. The TJ has a four speed auto with over drive. Is that going to make a difference?

Especially with a four speed auto and 35's, I wouldn't recommend more than 4.88. Even at that, I think you will find your RPM's to be on the high side at highway speeds. 4.56 will bring you back to about stock with 35's.

Just find a 44 out of a Rubicon and re gear, Easiest.

Agreed, if you're looking to run a 44 up front, a TJ Rubicon 44 would be the better way to go.

Serg5000

Ok Eddie just so I understand everything. Keep the dana 30 that's in the TJ. Upgrade the gears to 4:88's for the 35's and the four speed auto?

I don't mean to keep bothering. I just want to save my daughter the trouble of doing things twice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok Eddie just so I understand everything. Keep the dana 30 that's in the TJ. Upgrade the gears to 4:88's for the 35's and the four speed auto?

I don't mean to keep bothering. I just want to save my daughter the trouble of doing things twice.

You've got to remember that the TJ is almost 1,000 lbs. lighter than the JK and comes with a torquey 4.0L motor. It's a different animal and at least for me, I found that 4.56 was a good ratio for 35's and 4.88's offered a bit more. Of course, that's just my opinion based on my experiences driving a TJ. I'm sure others may have a different take on things.

Serg5000

You've got to remember that the TJ is almost 1,000 lbs. lighter than the JK and comes with a torquey 4.0L motor. It's a different animal and at least for me, I found that 4.56 was a good ratio for 35's and 4.88's offered a bit more. Of course, that's just my opinion based on my experiences driving a TJ. I'm sure others may have a different take on things.

I certainly appreciate your input and opinion based on your experience. Sticking with your opinion or advice, it will save lots of money and time. Thanks for taking the time and helping me out with this Eddie. I will post pics of my daughters rig when the mods are complete.

One other thing. I have only owned one jeep. Our 2008 JK.
I sort of count on guys that have been doing this longer than I have.

coach

Is it going to be run offroad or is this for looks?

The reason I ask is because you said you have a LP D30. You're already running on the weak side of the gears and as Eddie mentioned, the deeper the ratio, the smaller the pinion. Take the low end torque of the 4.0, combine that with low range and the likelihood of gear damage increases tremendously.

If you do want to swap out the front axle, an HP D30 out of a Cherokee is a worthwhile upgrade simply because they're cheap and you get the added strength of running on the correct side of the gears up front and you get to bring that driveshaft up some. Stay with the 4.56 because they'll be stronger than the 4.88s. Even consider 4.10s for the best mix of gearing and strength. Stock shafts, especially if locked in the front, won't hold up to much shock load from the larger tires.

A setup of a HP D30, chromoly shafts, 4.10 gears, locked with 35" tires and stock wheelbase worked very well for me. It was pushed to the max of it's capabilities running that equipment and my skill as a driver. The 4.10s left a little to be desired on the highway, but held up well when deeper gears would have left me in a pinch on the trails.

TJ KID

You'll need to cut off the lower spring perches and install ones for a TJ and in the right location. I can't remember but, if I recall, in 2003, TJ's stopped using speedometer gears in the T-case. I don't know if they started to come with speed sensors but, if they do, you will need to get unit bearings that will accommodate them. Having said all that, how big of a tire are you planning on running? I ran 37's on my old TJ and felt that the 4.88's I had were sufficient. Just like a JK, at 5.13, your pinion will be quite small. Not something I would recommend anyway.

Eddie when you ran 37 what axles did you have in your TJ..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie when you ran 37 what axles did you have in your TJ..

At the time, I installed them on the factory Dana 30 of which I had been running 35's on for a long time. I had been looking into doing an axle swap knowing that I was pushing my luck but ultimately decided to buy another JK instead.

coach

At the time, I installed them on the factory Dana 30 of which I had been running 35's on for a long time. I had been looking into doing an axle swap knowing that I was pushing my luck but ultimately decided to buy another JK instead.

Most. Expensive. Axle. Swap. Ever. :beer: :D

coach

That ain't a bad thing and that's the way to do it IMHO. Next one is going to be as barebones as I can get. Everything is getting swapped out anyway. One of these days I'm going to break down and admit I need a buggy.

MC2003TJ

Serg500,

I have a 2003 TJ with the 4.0 and the 4 speed auto trans. I am running 35" tires with 4.10 gears in Currie Ford 9" high pinion axles with Detroit Lockers. The front axle has Warn hubs to unlock the front on the street. I am also running an Atlas II with 3.8 to 1 low gear. The jeep runs great on the freeway with overdrive while on flat ground. I have to turn overdrive off to climb hills but it is not an issue because 3rd gear still doesn't over rev. I took the jeep on the Rubicon and the Dusy this summer and had no issues with this gear combination and the auto trans. Note: I have added the Derale fan powered transmission cooler to keep the Auto alive. 35" tires with a high clearance belly pan and 4" lift are all you need to go anywhere in a TJ.

Best of Luck!!

P.S. I ran a YJ for 15 years with a D30 HP and 33" tires and detroit lockers. Only broke the front axle once. I would not run 35" or larger tires with a D30. I would think the cheapest route would be to find a Rubicon D44 take off and slap it in.

Top Bottom