Winch Question

Jeepmed

Anyone that has mounted a winch to the stock bumper a question. Have you had any problems overheating due to the air flow being reduced into the radiator.

jeffd

Anyone that has mounted a winch to the stock bumper a question. Have you had any problems overheating due to the air flow being reduced into the radiator.

I have not but then again I don't think I have been in weather that would cause it to overheat. I was snow wheeling for several hours pushing snow but the ambient temps were low. I had one guy tell me he did not have a problem until he put on some large round lights on the bumper as well and then he said going up passes even in cool temps his temp gauge would rise and this was a 12 or 13 unlimited with 37's. not sure if it was auto or not. but he had stock 4.10 gears he said.

I have been wondering if it would be better to have the control box in the center or on the side like it is tho.
IMG_20131113_152609_843_zpscbc1d273.jpg

Rottenbelly

I recently added a light bar up front but also have a aftermarket tranny cooler and hydro assist cooler up front and a winch.
Mine overheated going up Vail pass in colorado in 7 degree weather. Was running 5k rpm most of the way up and got stuck behind a truck up close to top and had to slow down. It didnt like it and puked coolant out the overflow bottle on front on engine making some pretty smoke.
( 07 auto with 5:38's and 37 trail grapplers.)
Im gonna move some stuff around and add a pusher fan.
But with just a winch I never had any problems.

Jeepmed

I recently added a light bar up front but also have a aftermarket tranny cooler and hydro assist cooler up front and a winch.
Mine overheated going up Vail pass in colorado in 7 degree weather. Was running 5k rpm most of the way up and got stuck behind a truck up close to top and had to slow down. It didnt like it and puked coolant out the overflow bottle on front on engine making some pretty smoke.
( 07 auto with 5:38's and 37 trail grapplers.)
Im gonna move some stuff around and add a pusher fan.
But with just a winch I never had any problems.

Thank you. Good Luck

matt1171

Nope. Did fine all summer in the south. Never heard of this issue before.

Benny

I have a Zeon mounted up front on a warn mount. Have never overheated but this summer while driving through Idaho in 110 degree heat, towing my trailer uphill, it did get hot enough to move the needle past the halfway reading. But around town and offroad...nothing.

FireWire79

I assume you guys have seen this mod.

Hidden winch on a stock bumper. Looks pretty good IMHO. I have seen a few variants on it as well. But I'm wondering if it can be done on a Rubicon model due the electronic swaybar disconnects.

Last edited by a moderator:

jason08JK

Overheating has not been issue with mine. Drove from Colorado to California and back with no issues. See my set up below.

1173649_589887114383161_1601645845_n.jpg

JKbrick

13JKUR did the hidden winch in the stock bumper for the JKX this year that he never made it to then quit talking to everyone since he didn't give back his free tires. Ok back on track, I like the look of that setup

FireWire79

Since most of you guys are familiar with the mod for the stock bumper, maybe you can answer a question for me then.

Why not mount the bumper right side up, between the frame rails?

I know that the winch will fit, because it fits upside down, so why not right side up?

I understand that you would have to remove a little more from the stock bumper, but it should keep it low and out of the way, not restricting airflow, as well as keep the bumper close to the stock location.

Am I just missing something here? Or is there a reason not to do it?

I know that you would need a winch mounting plate to go between the rails, but that should be pretty easy to do, as it is just a flat plate with some holes in it. (Essentially) And with the hole in the bumper subframe, it looks like a perfect spot to run the fairlead. 68003322aa_450.jpg

Jeep_Dawg08

Very good question Firewire.. I've thought this as well. But being I haven't found the right winch for my budget I havent even looked into it.
*subscribed* :cool:

●|||||●

Top Bottom