Modding questions

hlax2525

My father and I recently got a 2011 JKU Sport. We do not own it yet as it is on lease until the end of the summer of 2014. Although the option to buy it is there, we are definitely planning on buying it and joining the WAYALIFE. We have just started our modding process. The only thing we have done so far is change the antenna. I know it isn't much, but its a start. Here are some things we would like to do.

1. New Front Bumper
- dad doesn't like the look of a stubby, so any suggestions for a full length
- dad does like the look of the ones that come up to the fenders

2. Wheels and Tires
-like the look of the XD Rockstar (original)
-not lifting yet, so want something big enough to look big stock, but big enough to look good after a small lift (possible <35)
-Actual tires??? Have heard some good things about TerraGrapplers, but open to suggestions

3. Lift Kit
-anything we could do that isn't an actual lift per say, but has the look of a lift
-have heard somethings on hear about a teraflex leveling kit??
-if we were too, any recommendations as to the right size (under 5in- probably like a 3in)
IN REGARDS TO THIS, WHAT WOULD WE DO SINCE AXLE CHANGE IS NOT DESIRED

4. Different Header Unit
-its the sport, so… you know the deal
-has anybody done this? If so any suggestions on a decent, but reasonably priced unit?

If anybody has any of these things for sale, please comment
Also any suggestions or help with all the things allotted here would be great

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1. New Front Bumper
- dad doesn't like the look of a stubby, so any suggestions for a full length
- dad does like the look of the ones that come up to the fenders

That being the case, I might recommend that you give AEV or ARB a look as they have good full width options.

2. Wheels and Tires
-like the look of the XD Rockstar (original)
-not lifting yet, so want something big enough to look big stock, but big enough to look good after a small lift (possible <35)
-Actual tires??? Have heard some good things about TerraGrapplers, but open to suggestions

Being that you'd be getting a full width bumper, you'll want to keep your factory flares intact. And, with that, if you keep your Jeep stock height, you really don't want to run anything bigger than 32's... maybe 33's. With the later, it is advisable to at least install a leveling kit or 2" budget boost.

3. Lift Kit
-anything we could do that isn't an actual lift per say, but has the look of a lift
-have heard somethings on hear about a teraflex leveling kit??

Yes, a leveling kit is what you'll want at the very least. At most, a 2.5" budget boost. Pretty much any make here will get the job done just fine.

-if we were too, any recommendations as to the right size (under 5in- probably like a 3in)
IN REGARDS TO THIS, WHAT WOULD WE DO SINCE AXLE CHANGE IS NOT DESIRED

35" tires is what you can run well with 3" with factory fenders and a full with bumper. I have run this setup and was quite happy with it.

4. Different Header Unit
-its the sport, so… you know the deal
-has anybody done this? If so any suggestions on a decent, but reasonably priced unit?

You can find some nice MyGig head units online. I would only recommend it as it'll leave your Jeep still looking factory and just plugs in as is. No fuss.

suicideking

I'm not a fan of full width bumpers, but realize some may like them. Probably safer, better for hunting, etc. Still look at the mid width bumpers. They will be a better combination for wheeling.

One of my favorite mid with's: http://shop.poisonspyder.com/JK-Brawler-MID-Front-Bumper-w-Brawler-Bar-Bare-p/17-63-010-b.htm

Another favorite mid, Shrockworks (I have the stubby): http://www.shrockworks.com/Jeep-JK-Front-Bumper-Winch-Mid-Width-pr-16215.html

For full width, I do like AEV and Expedition One. Checkout Pure Jeep and JCR Offroad.

espi

Here is the Or-fab full width winch bumper I just installed.

1388011670055.jpg
1388011736390.jpg
Sent from my ADR6425LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

hlax2525

That being the case, I might recommend that you give AEV or ARB a look as they have good full width options.

Being that you'd be getting a full width bumper, you'll want to keep your factory flares intact. And, with that, if you keep your Jeep stock height, you really don't want to run anything bigger than 32's... maybe 33's. With the later, it is advisable to at least install a leveling kit or 2" budget boost.

Yes, a leveling kit is what you'll want at the very least. At most, a 2.5" budget boost. Pretty much any make here will get the job done just fine.

35" tires is what you can run well with 3" with factory fenders and a full with bumper. I have run this setup and was quite happy with it.

You can find some nice MyGig head units online. I would only recommend it as it'll leave your Jeep still looking factory and just plugs in as is. No fuss.

We found some mygig units cheap and I am going to call tomorrow to get more info.

In regards to the lift, we haven't decided between a 2.5" budget boost or a leveling kit. On eBay we found a rough country 2.5" for about 150 with shipping.
How does that sound.
Although no shocks are being replaced, is that good for just the spacers and etc? Just to get the room for the bigger tires?
Thanks again

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In regards to the lift, we haven't decided between a 2.5" budget boost or a leveling kit. On eBay we found a rough country 2.5" for about 150 with shipping.
How does that sound.

Sounds about right. Hard to go wrong with a basic BB.

Although no shocks are being replaced, is that good for just the spacers and etc? Just to get the room for the bigger tires?
Thanks again

You won't need new shocks, your factory set with extensions are all that you need.

hlax2525

Sounds about right. Hard to go wrong with a basic BB.

You won't need new shocks, your factory set with extensions are all that you need.

Ok thanks. And those extensions come in the kit or no? Sorry if that question seems stupid, kinda new to the jeep world. Also there was another piece about a away bar relocation from the same company, I don't know what it is and do we need that?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok thanks. And those extensions come in the kit or no? Sorry if that question seems stupid, kinda new to the jeep world.

The extensions come with it if that's the one you order. You can get the kit with new longer shocks (which I wouldn't recommend as they aren't very good) or with shock extensions. You just need to make sure you order the later.

Also there was another piece about a away bar relocation from the same company, I don't know what it is and do we need that?

If you meant to say "sway bar" relocation, I have seen some kits where they come with drop brackets for the rear. I personally would install new longer rear links and then take the factory rear links and install them up front. A lot of kits come with these new longer links. If you meant to say track bar relocation bracket, what it does is help to recenter your rear axle for cheap and that will help prevent your driver side rear tire from making contact with the way bar link. Being that you're getting new wheels with what I assume has at no more than 4.5" of back spacing, you should be okay with or without the bracket. If the kit comes with it, all the better.

hlax2525

The extensions come with it if that's the one you order. You can get the kit with new longer shocks (which I wouldn't recommend as they aren't very good) or with shock extensions. You just need to make sure you order the later.

If you meant to say "sway bar" relocation, I have seen some kits where they come with drop brackets for the rear. I personally would install new longer rear links and then take the factory rear links and install them up front. A lot of kits come with these new longer links. If you meant to say track bar relocation bracket, what it does is help to recenter your rear axle for cheap and that will help prevent your driver side rear tire from making contact with the way bar link. Being that you're getting new wheels with what I assume has at no more than 4.5" of back spacing, you should be okay with or without the bracket. If the kit comes with it, all the better.

I am going to order it without the longer shocks like you and others have said. I have read the ones that would come with it as longer shocks are not too good. In regards to the shock extensions, it says that the rough country kit comes with them. So I am hopefully going to shop around for the cheapest price and order it.
Now to figure out how to install this or find a mechanically inclined friend .
This is the beginning to this great WAYAlIFE I have yearned for so long to be a part of.
Thanks again

hlax2525

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388013726.448507.jpg
That is what the kit comes with
Is anything else needed or that you recommend me getting with it?
Thanks again

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is what the kit comes with
Is anything else needed or that you recommend me getting with it?
Thanks again

It's not required but an adjustable front track bar is nice to have as it'll allow you to re-center your front axle. A rear track bar relocation bracket will do the same for less. Again, both are not required but, if you have the budget, they'd be nice to have. Here is a write-up that will help you out:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3976-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-2-5-quot-Budget-Boost-Installation-Write-Up

hlax2525

It's not required but an adjustable front track bar is nice to have as it'll allow you to re-center your front axle. A rear track bar relocation bracket will do the same for less. Again, both are not required but, if you have the budget, they'd be nice to have. Here is a write-up that will help you out:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3976-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-2-5-quot-Budget-Boost-Installation-Write-Up

Thanks for all the help
I'll post pics when it's all done

TBird

Smittybilt also has their new atlas xrc bumper systems. I'm not a huge fan of the front bumper but its a nice full width for the stock flares and the new rear bumper is sweet looking. Both have lots of bells and whistles but are around the 1g mark so they're a bit pricey. Best of luck with your build.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using WAYALIFE mobile app

hlax2525

Smittybilt also has their new atlas xrc bumper systems. I'm not a huge fan of the front bumper but its a nice full width for the stock flares and the new rear bumper is sweet looking. Both have lots of bells and whistles but are around the 1g mark so they're a bit pricey. Best of luck with your build.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the input

Top Bottom