Does anybody have 35s on ATX slabs?

wwood

I have a new '13 JKUR with 3" TF lift and 35" Toyo ATII tires on Rugged Ridge 17x9 wheels, about 1000 miles on the lift and tires. Recently removed both factory bumpers and tire carrier and have been trying to decide on new bumpers and tire carrier. Bought a PSC Brawler Lite front bumper (which I love and intend to install) and a PSC Rock Brawler II rear bumper with the swing out tire carrier which I have not installed due to my indecision.

Now that I have seen many pics of rigs here on WOL running ATX Slabs and no rear bumper and an EVO tire carrier, I like that look WAY more than the PSC rear bumper and tire carrier.
But it looks like most if not all of the rigs running ATX Slabs are on 37s or bigger tires. Does anybody run 35s on Slabs or would those tires look too small? What about a 35" on the EVO tire carrier, too small? Not in my budget to upgrade to 37s.

I would have to sell my current Rugged Ridge wheels and the PSC rear bumper and tire carrier to help finance the much more expensive ATX Slabs and EVO tire carrier but I really like the look. Dumb idea?

Thanks for any and all opinions or pics of 35s on Slabs if any exist.

Attachments

• DSC08762.jpg
    DSC08762.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 685

BadApple

I have a new '13 JKUR with 3" TF lift and 35" Toyo ATII tires on Rugged Ridge 17x9 wheels, about 1000 miles on the lift and tires. Recently removed both factory bumpers and tire carrier and have been trying to decide on new bumpers and tire carrier. Bought a PSC Brawler Lite front bumper (which I love and intend to install) and a PSC Rock Brawler II rear bumper with the swing out tire carrier which I have not installed due to my indecision.

Now that I have seen many pics of rigs here on WOL running ATX Slabs and no rear bumper and an EVO tire carrier, I like that look WAY more than the PSC rear bumper and tire carrier.
But it looks like most if not all of the rigs running ATX Slabs are on 37s or bigger tires. Does anybody run 35s on Slabs or would those tires look too small? What about a 35" on the EVO tire carrier, too small? Not in my budget to upgrade to 37s.

I would have to sell my current Rugged Ridge wheels and the PSC rear bumper and tire carrier to help finance the much more expensive ATX Slabs and EVO tire carrier but I really like the look. Dumb idea?

I have seen a 10th ann running around here with the 265 KM2s with Slabs. It looks goofy but there is no specific tire size you have to run with them. I would say a 35 12.50 would be the smallest i would personally run on them.

sc_rhino

Does anybody run 35s on Slabs or would those tires look too small? What about a 35" on the EVO tire carrier, too small? Not in my budget to upgrade to 37s.

Not a dumb idea at all. I'm in the same boat. I already have my slabs, just trying to decide 35 or 37.

Ldogg

I think the bigger issue may be if a 35 looks to small on the EVO carrier. Most of the pics you see are with a 37" tire. I think the slabs look ok with 35's.

13WhiteRubi

35s do look small on the EVO tire carrier but if you're not ready to go to 37s and really want the EVO tire carrier then do it. When you're ready to go to 37s you'll know you have a tire carrier that will have no problem holding that big shoe.

wwood

Thanks guys, those Slabs look fine with 35s. Looks like another big hit to the credit card coming up. :) I believe EVO and Northridge still have the ATX Slab special, 5 for the price of 4, a painful $1750/1780. Still thinking about the EVO tire carrier. Maybe somebody has a pic of a 35 in that carrier?

1BAMFR

They look good with 35s too!

What's nice about the slabs is that you get the huge backspacing and a ridiculous beadlock ring.

turbineguy

Thanks guys, those Slabs look fine with 35s. Looks like another big hit to the credit card coming up. :) I believe EVO and Northridge still have the ATX Slab special, 5 for the price of 4, a painful $1750/1780. Still thinking about the EVO tire carrier. Maybe somebody has a pic of a 35 in that carrier?

Hey there. Never mind.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

JKFlyer

I will have a pic of 35 on evo when I get mine back over the weekend. In meantime, here is one I found online . To us wayalife guys it may look small but to outsiders on the road, it will still look sick!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1388106436767.jpg
    1388106436767.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 522

GTMOSCUBA

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388116233.865800.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388116293.320312.jpg
Here's some pics, wheels are still virgins till I get back to the states & run through Baja.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wwood

I will have a pic of 35 on evo when I get mine back over the weekend. In meantime, here is one I found online . To us wayalife guys it may look small but to outsiders on the road, it will still look sick!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks, will really appreciate more pics. This is my first Jeep so I am a newbie in that sense. The 35s look fine to me, plenty big enough for the carrier.

Does the EVO carrier block the view of the Jeep's tail lights for cars behind you? It looks like the 2 bracket strips with the 3 holes cover the tail lights from the rear. Don't want cops stopping me for any violations. :)

Plus my wife is complaining that the EVO carrier might be too hard for her to open/close. Is that a problem?

What about rattles?

Thanks. By the way, we are from south Jersey (Burlington County). Moved to AZ about 19 years ago. Still have Jersey sand stuck in lots of my stuff. :)

wwood

Ordered the Slabs

Ordered five ATX Slabs today from Discount Tire, $1880 including tax, TPMS valve kit, unmounting tires from old wheels, road force balancing, remount on Jeep. I have to install the tires on the Slabs as company policy will not allow them to do it presumably due to the not street legal thing. In other words they basically matched Northridge's price and charged me $130 to unmount my Toyo tires from the existing wheels, switch the TPMS sensors to the new wheels, balance and remount the new tires/wheels. I am happy with that, looks pretty easy to mount tires on beadlock wheels: some soapy water, small prybars, big deadblow mallet, ratchet strap, 1/4" drive air ratchet, air compressor and torque wrench will do it.
Still thinking about the EVO tire carrier. :)

2trackin

Ordered five ATX Slabs today from Discount Tire, $1880 including tax, TPMS valve kit, unmounting tires from old wheels, road force balancing, remount on Jeep. I have to install the tires on the Slabs as company policy will not allow them to do it presumably due to the not street legal thing. In other words they basically matched Northridge's price and charged me $130 to unmount my Toyo tires from the existing wheels, switch the TPMS sensors to the new wheels, balance and remount the new tires/wheels. I am happy with that, looks pretty easy to mount tires on beadlock wheels: some soapy water, small prybars, big deadblow mallet, ratchet strap, 1/4" drive air ratchet, air compressor and torque wrench will do it.
Still thinking about the EVO tire carrier. :)

Why are you putting the tpms on your Slabs? The whole purpose of beadlocks is to air way down when wheeling. Unless you disable the tpms every time you wheel it's going to throw a light every time you air down. I also suggest getting balancing beads like dyna beads. I have them in my Slabs with 37" toyos and they work wonderfully. You will get dirt and water held inside the beadlock ring and mud and what not caked on your tires. I have yet to feel any unbalanced tire as the balance beads Re balance every time you stop and start moving again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

13WhiteRubi

@ Catahoula: Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it.

@ wwood: As far as mounting the tires you wont need a ratchet strap or pry bar. Also don't use too much soapy water, just enough to slip the tire on.

Mel actually made a really good video on how to mount tires on Slabs right here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVdoepZcljA

Once you get the first one done the other 4 will be nothing. Good luck

You're going to love those wheels

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Why are you putting the tpms on your Slabs? The whole purpose of beadlocks is to air way down when wheeling. Unless you disable the tpms every time you wheel it's going to throw a light every time you air down.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'd rather hear the TPMS warning occasionally offroad than all the time on!

Top Bottom