Tin Can Sound

Firewrangler

Ok, I saw the post from someone having a ratcheting sound, so now it's my turn. I have what sounds like a tin can tumbling down the street sound. It's only when rolling down the street. On the throttle or off, it doesn't matter. Sounds like it's coming from under the Jeep. I'm thinking maybe drive shaft or transmission. Any thoughts?

JoshuaC999

My first thought is a u-joint. If it makes the sound all speeds have someone stand out side and drive slowly by them to help pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Another option is to put it on jack stands at rotate the axles individually. You may be able to just grab the drive shaft near the u-joint and try and move it up and down, and side to side. If there is any play I the joint it is going bad or has gone bad. The play usually cause the noise when as the drive shaft turns the joint binds up then releases suddenly causing a popping or clicking sound.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Check exhaust shields

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Agree. Tin can sound is usually associated with rusted out heatshields. Wife's CRV started doing it last week...got under there, and sure enough....ripped it off and presto, the noise is gone.

IMG_0921.JPG.jpg

Top Bottom