really loud clicking and clunking

zaid7

hi guys so today I decided to go for a 2hr drive down the highway with the wife to see some family the jk drove very nice. after our 2hr home I noticed a sound coming from jeep wasn't to bad just a very soft click but I could only hear it with the window down and sitting next to a concrete barrier seem to amplified it. as I got back to the city and all the traffic lights the noise got really loud as I got to the lower gears to the point all the other cars were looking at me even so that my wife opened the door to have a look I didn't no what it was I thought maybe gearbox or transfer case maybe a wheel bearing after looking under it road side I decided to nurse it home as it was getting dark the sound got worse then went away at higher speeds so I had a look under it and everything looked normal apart from one part which was my front tail shaft on the transfer case side the rubber cover was broken and must be like that for some time and what caught my eye was some shiny metal which looked to had been covered and protected from the elements would this be the cause as it kind of sounded like a collapsed bearing and I would assume there is a bearing under the cover. here is a photo of this part.

Attachments

• IMAG0093.jpg
    IMAG0093.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 235
  • IMAG0094.jpg
    IMAG0094.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 230

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is an rzeppa cv joint and yes, it has bearings inside. Your drive shaft is toast and I would NOT drive it until you can get a new drive shaft. Assuming you are lifted (as that is the most common cause of joint failure like this), I would highly recommend that you get a new u-joint style double cardan shaft from someone like JE Reel or Coast as they come with made in the USA Neapco or Spicer Joints. If this is a rear shaft, you will need new rear upper control arms to set your pinion angle. EDIT, I see this is for a front shaft.

zaid7

Thank you very much Eddie I do not plan on driving it anywhere untill I fix it I'm pretty mechanical minded I can do most thing and figure most other things out but when it comed to my jeep I'm very limited to what I can do is this a easy repair or would I need a work shop to do the swap only part that concerns me is the transfer case side where it is damaged does it just pull out or is there a bolt holding it in or wull i need to drop the transfer case

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
Thank you very much Eddie I do not plan on driving it anywhere untill I fix it I'm pretty mechanical minded I can do most thing and figure most other things out but when it comed to my jeep I'm very limited to what I can do is this a easy repair or would I need a work shop to do the swap only part that concerns me is the transfer case side where it is damaged does it just pull out or is there a bolt holding it in or wull i need to drop the transfer case

Just take the 8 bolts out and pry it out the flange with a screwdriver and hammer. If you had another stocker, easy temp fix to put a new one on. Or as Eddie suggested get a double carden shaft. You'll just need to remove the big t-case nut and pinion nut and put on new yokes for the dble carden shaft. Although some aftermarket shafts may still retain a factory flange mount upper or lower, imo , its best to just change both flanges to a regular yoke. And yes, easy to do yourself .

Beyrgut

Like others said your front DS is done. At the very least drop it and leave yokes in place until you can get a replacement/upgrade in place. You don't want it to come completely apart and destroy anything while cruising down the highway. The bolts in the pic can be a real pain, once you get front unbolted you can rotate the shaft for better access and then stick front bolts back (just thread started) to keep it from rotating.

Oh yeah and Eddie has a good post on replacing the whole thing Here.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
My rear ds seized and came apart going 65 down the highway. Just limped it home in 4hi after taking the rear one out on the side of the rd.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388208253.504314.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388208299.456176.jpg

TeamFaust

I think I have an issues similar or same as the OP. Went to hit an easy trail run with a local club and when I shifted into 4H "click, click, click"...CRAP!
Noise only when in 4WD so finished the run in 2WD (had to pass on the rock gardens) and fine driving home. crawled underneath to take a closer look and grease flung around & bushing at back of front drive shaft broken, if I grab the shaft it moves a bit front and back and if a turn it definitely a loud clicking sound. Here are a couple of reference shots:
front DS CV - resized.jpg front DS CV compromised - resized.jpg

Sounds like pretty straight forward/easy to remove so I'll remove the front DS and order a replacement.
I'll take a look at he link previously posted for procedure.

Recommendations on replacement/upgrade?

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
x2 on Coast or JE Reel, both will have all parts needed for a swap.

Coast now makes a direct bolt on to the CV style flanges - easy install

TeamFaust

Thanks, will check them out. Not what I was planning on for the next upgrade, but inevitable I guess.

TeamFaust

local shop contacted Coast rep and it appears that they have unfortunately discontinued the direct bolt onto the CV style flange version BUMMER!!
BTW they also said no longer doing the 1310 for the JK only the 1350 going forward.

Top Bottom