2014 JKR 4.88 or 5.13? 37s

2trackin

As the title states. I'm uncertain of going 4.88 or 5.13. I do drive the vehicle fairly regularly on the street. Usually weekends sometimes headed 2hrs North on the express way. I know either or will make a nice difference. But if I go 4.88 for my road travels will I be wishing I had gone 5.13 when I hit the trail?
A local 4x4 shop that closed down and now does just auto repair under different ownership has a bunch in stock and I'm thinking I can pick a set up on the cheap. I know this had probably been discussed a hundred times but trying to search brought up nothing. And what I did find didn't apply to the later models with the pentastar.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I know Eddie has a thread on here where he says if you have 2012+ you should regear to 5.13 with 37's. The crawl ratio and highway driving is awesome

Sent from my iPhone

2trackin

Can't remember how far north you are but a guy here does gears really reasonable

The only shop around here is unlimited offroad in Fenton. But one of the main guys from there recently went off on his own. I'm going to pick up the gears from the own 2 track minds if the guy will give them to me cheap and I guess I'll hit up the two places and let them bid for my business.

Vettethret

As the title states. I'm uncertain of going 4.88 or 5.13. I do drive the vehicle fairly regularly on the street. Usually weekends sometimes headed 2hrs North on the express way. I know either or will make a nice difference. But if I go 4.88 for my road travels will I be wishing I had gone 5.13 when I hit the trail?
A local 4x4 shop that closed down and now does just auto repair under different ownership has a bunch in stock and I'm thinking I can pick a set up on the cheap. I know this had probably been discussed a hundred times but trying to search brought up nothing. And what I did find didn't apply to the later models with the pentastar.

I LOVE my 5:13's, wish I could have gone 5:38's.

mrmet1983

Absolutely love my 513s they are amazing on and offroad , so happy I didn't go the 488 route cuz 513s kick ass

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

SaddleTramp

I have 5.13's and 37's and love them both on and off-road with the 3.6 auto, 2750ish revs at 70mph, pretty close to what I remember stock revs were with 4.10's and stock tires.

CrazyLarry

You never said if you had an auto or manual. That's kind of important when considering what gears to put in your rig

mrmet1983

You never said if you had an auto or manual. That's kind of important when considering what gears to put in your rig

Good point also need to know if u have a d39 up front cuz 513 is way to much for a d30

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

mrmet1983

Ditto, but 5.38s don't work so well in the 44s.
I will definitely go 5.38 if I get a couple of Dynatrac 60s! :clap2:

Yea 538s make the pinion the weak spot and it's much harder to replace a pinion gear rather then a ring gear

Gnmaniatis

I'm looking at jumping up to 37's in a couple of months and re gearing as well. My question is what do you look for in gears, and what brand. It seems that most go with Yukon, but a couple shops around here are telling me to go with G2. Anyone have any experience with the G2, or do i just go with the Yukons. Btw, I'm running a 2013 auto

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm looking at jumping up to 37's in a couple of months and re gearing as well. My question is what do you look for in gears, and what brand. It seems that most go with Yukon, but a couple shops around here are telling me to go with G2. Anyone have any experience with the G2, or do i just go with the Yukons. Btw, I'm running a 2013 auto

all gears are made by the same company in china or korea. if you look there is a stamp on them all the same. eddie said before just look for the lowest priced ones.

Hobolobo

Im thinking about 5.13s when i go to 35s. Is that overkill or about right? Its a 2012 manual. Does anybody know of a decent shop in houston tx area?

Top Bottom