steering codes after body lift install

Sahara4me

I recently added a body lift to my JK which I had to add the spacer into the steering shaft. When I first installed it everything was good. Went back a few thousand miles later to check everything and found it was loose, I removed it checked splines etc to make sure nothing was worn. I reassembled and used blue locktight on the setscrew and bolts to combat the before problem. Fired the jeep up and boom..Christmas tree in the dash. Both the Stability light and the ESP/BAS light are on. Steering wheel is centered still, no changed was done to the alighment. I reset the codes with my superchips and fired it up again..the lights came back. I checked the codes and one said erractic steering agle and the I foget the other, both had to do with steering. I have cleared them and drove the jeep and no change. It doesn't throw the ABS light on as well like it would if a speed sensor is bad or failing. Cruise and all still works. I think the steering wheel may have turned once or twice a revolution or whatever while it was disconnected. Would that have caused this? Could it have broken the clockspring?

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
If the steering wheel turned a revolution you most likely messed up the clockspring. On a jk you can have a bad cockspring and your cruise still will work sometimes. I always bungee my steering wheel in place when removing the steering shaft.
If you remember the direction it turned, you could first try to unhook the shaft and rotate it back one full revolution and see if it is ok. But chances are that is going to be abit hard to figure out.

Last edited:

Sahara4me

Agreed. You most likely damaged the tape in your clock spring.

Thx, I don't have any airbag lights, my horn and cruise control still works as well...from everything I've read if the clock spring breaks I loose those features as well.. I don't have a procal module to recenter everything, ive read a couple places that if I pull the negative battery cable and blow the horn that it will reset the clock spring..guess I will give that a try before tearing the column apart and replace the spring.

Army_Vet

Banned
Thx, I don't have any airbag lights, my horn and cruise control still works as well...from everything I've read if the clock spring breaks I loose those features as well.. I don't have a procal module to recenter everything, ive read a couple places that if I pull the negative battery cable and blow the horn that it will reset the clock spring..guess I will give that a try before tearing the column apart and replace the spring.

Yep try that, but keep in mind, there not saying broke. I think they are saying damaged... its hard to replicate and diagnose all defects correctly over the internet....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep try that, but keep in mind, there not saying broke. I think they are saying damaged... its hard to replicate and diagnose all defects correctly over the internet....

What he said. If you ever take a clock spring apart, you will see that there is a tape with multiple embedded copper ribbons in it. You can damage one or some and still have others that are intact. Given the circumstances, it's the most logical thing I can think of but, I could be wrong.

Sahara4me

I'm a mechanic, just new to jeeps. I went out and read the codes again, it said clock spring oversteer when I turned to the left and threw the lights on. Turning to the right full lock and no codes nor lights, I separated the shaft again and made one complete revolution to the right and reassembled. Reset the codes once more and cranked the vehicle and turned full lock right and left and no codes, drove the jeep approx 10 miles and did some full lock left and right turns in a parking lot and no lights still. Came home and retested for codes and none were found. Seems to be fixed, got lucky on this one it seems.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a mechanic, just new to jeeps. I went out and read the codes again, it said clock spring oversteer when I turned to the left and threw the lights on. Turning to the right full lock and no codes nor lights, I separated the shaft again and made one complete revolution to the right and reassembled. Reset the codes once more and cranked the vehicle and turned full lock right and left and no codes, drove the jeep approx 10 miles and did some full lock left and right turns in a parking lot and no lights still. Came home and retested for codes and none were found. Seems to be fixed, got lucky on this one it seems.

Awesome! Glad to hear you were able to get this fixed.

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
:clap2::thumb:

Top Bottom