oil change message

dunstan74

Had an 'oil change required' message on the dash today I have a 2013 jku with 11500 kms. The oil was changed at 8000kms the oil level is perfect and looks clean. Is this just a reminder message or should i change it out the oil to be safe ?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Army_Vet

Banned
Had an 'oil change required' message on the dash today I have a 2013 jku with 11500 kms. The oil was changed at 8000kms the oil level is perfect and looks clean. Is this just a reminder message or should i change it out the oil to be safe ?

Yes the minder is a message sent from the computer that is calculated from a complicated matrix of inputs from the crank sensor and other sensors. It doesnt know that you changed the oil.
turn your key on without starting, depress your accel pedal to the floor three times then turn the key off and it will reset the matrix.

My first one came on at about 8000 miles, I had changed it twice then

Below was copied from a Chrysler page:

The engineers created a duty-based clock with a scheduled number of engine revolutions. That calendar is adjusted for factors like engine size and weight of the oil. If a given model was driven at a certain speed without challenge, the oil would degenerate rather predictably. But, cars are not driven with any such consistency, so the technology works to integrate these variations.

It works to analyze your specific car's performance. Let's say the system's "clock" starts counting down when the oil is changed. The system starts to count the engine revolutions. But, it adjusts that count for stop-and-go traffic, long highway trips at a consistent speed, hot and cold extremes, and the engine load. Once the "clock" counts down, the indicator will light up.

Last edited:

Jiblet

Could be that the OCI wasn't reset at the last change. Was this the first time you got the message?

Top Bottom