Rubbing

Sporadic

This has been bugging me a while...

So, I get some tire rub on my front right LCA at full turn. My rig has the AEV 2.5 dual sport with Ranco 9000's. I'm running 35x12.5x18 Nitto's on 18x9 wheels with 18mm offset.

Does the axle need centering or do I need a set of wheel spacers? Strange that it's only the front right side.

Thanks,
Ty

Devallee

Hopefully others will chime in but I would say you would need to re-center the axle if it's rubbing only on one side. It wouldn't make sense to put on wheel spacers of its only one side rubbing

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This has been bugging me a while...

So, I get some tire rub on my front right LCA at full turn. My rig has the AEV 2.5 dual sport with Ranco 9000's. I'm running 35x12.5x18 Nitto's on 18x9 wheels with 18mm offset.

Does the axle need centering or do I need a set of wheel spacers? Strange that it's only the front right side.

Thanks,
Ty

Your axle is off center due to your lift. An adjustable front track bar will allow you to address this but, if you can't afford one, you can adjust your steer stops to help out until you can get one. This write-up will help you out:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4091-TECH-TIP-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Steer-Stop-Adjustment

TheDuff

I really don't see how your axle could be that off center from just a 2.5" lift. I'm not sure how much back spacing 18mm is, 4.75" is probably the minimum for that tire width. You could get wheel spacers, or get some steering stops if the rubbing is minimal

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't see how your axle could be that off center from just a 2.5" lift. I'm not sure how much back spacing 18mm is, 4.75" is probably the minimum for that tire width. You could get wheel spacers, or get some steering stops if the rubbing is minimal

Why would you say that? Lifting your Jeep any amount will cause the front axle to shift toward the driver side due to the fact that the track bar is mounted to the axle on the passenger side and on the frame on the driver side. This kit offers no adjustable front track bar and so there will be a slight shift. Granted, aside from rubbing issues, it's not enough to matter but it is still there.

TheDuff

Why would you say that? Lifting your Jeep any amount will cause the front axle to shift toward the driver side due to the fact that the track bar is mounted to the axle on the passenger side and on the frame on the driver side. This kit offers no adjustable front track bar and so there will be a slight shift. Granted, aside from rubbing issues, it's not enough to matter but it is still there.

Oh, I understand the axle will be off center. Sorry if my response came off any different. I guess maybe this question will help me understand something further and possibly show what I was trying to convey in my response: are the wheel back spacing recommendations for tire size, given due to the op's issue? And on a side note does 18mm offset meet the recommendations for his tire width?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I understand the axle will be off center. Sorry if my response came off any different. I guess maybe this question will help me understand something further and possibly show what I was trying to convey in my response: are the wheel back spacing recommendations for tire size, given due to the op's issue? And on a side note does 18mm offset meet the recommendations for his tire width?

Ah, got it. He has too much back spacing. +18mm of off set on a 9" wide wheel = 5.71" of back spacing.

TheDuff

Ah, got it. He has too much back spacing. +18mm of off set on a 9" wide wheel = 5.71" of back spacing.

:) Ok, so I'm understanding correctly. I tried to figure out what 18mm of offset was, but got confused and gave up Pretty quickly :p I'll work on my delivery going forward.

Sporadic

Your axle is off center due to your lift. An adjustable front track bar will allow you to address this but, if you can't afford one, you can adjust your steer stops to help out until you can get one. This write-up will help you out:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4091-TECH-TIP-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Steer-Stop-Adjustment

Eddie,

You 're the man ! Thanks for the great advice. For future reference, would a different choice in offset/backspacing have made a difference?

Thanks ,
Ty

Last edited:

Sporadic

TheDuff, I appreciate your comments. Thanks!

Sporadic

Eddie,

You 're the man ! Thanks for the great advise. For future reference, would a different choice in offset/backspacing made a difference ?

Thanks ,
Ty

Okay, now I feel a little foolish...you addressed my second question in your write-up.

Also, do you recommend a particular front track bar?

Last edited:

CerOf

Eddie,

You 're the man ! Thanks for the great advice. For future reference, would a different choice in offset/backspacing have made a difference?

Thanks ,
Ty

Most recommend, it seems, 4.5". This would push your tires/rim outward another inch from where you are. Whether this would solve your problem only you would know. How bad does it rub? 1/2"~1" makes a big difference....(yes, there is a joke there. Teed it up for someone.)

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

TheDuff

Okay, now I feel a little foolish...you addressed my second question in your write-up.

I know a lot of people who run factory front track bars with lifts up to and greater than 2.5", Moby still has the factory one;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,

Thanks ,
Ty

Wheels with 4.5" of back spacing or less would have been beneficial. You still could run a set of 1.5" wheel spacers to give you a more appropriate back spacing.

I have run a lot of different front track bars and most will get the job done. If I have a preference, I might recommend a JKS.

TheDuff

If you plan to ever get a larger lift, keep in mind some track bars don't work with drag link flips. Also some track bars have a bad track record (pun intended!) Of breaking, which could cause serious jeep damage or worse! I won't name any names, but a lil searching will help you identify these track bars;)

Top Bottom