Torquing

Logan1982

Just a quick question guys. Sorry if it seems like a dumb question. When I check the torque of my front and rear track bar bolts and also front and rear control arms, do I have to loosen the bolts first or just set the torque specs then apply pressure to wait for a click? Some people say that you have to loosen the bolts then retorque. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you are retorquing then yes, you should first loosen them. If you are checking torque there really is no need to loosen first unless one moves. If one moves I always loosen and go again.

I usually check torque with the wrench set a few pounds less than I originally set the torque to.

sent from my wiz-bang time killing machine

Army_Vet

Banned
Just a quick question guys. Sorry if it seems like a dumb question. When I check the torque of my front and rear track bar bolts and also front and rear control arms, do I have to loosen the bolts first or just set the torque specs then apply pressure to wait for a click? Some people say that you have to loosen the bolts then retorque. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a tip. Once torque is set properly, take a paint marker and paint a line down the threads over the nut and onto the bracket; this way it gives you a quick way to see if anything loosened up

MTG

Caught the Bug
^ this! AND check it with the wrench set a pound or two lower than the original torque.

Top Bottom