what to look for on used gears

SoCalDozer

So I want 4.10's for my 2012 and they are pretty rare and the ones that people do make are a bit more expensive than higher (numerically) ratios.
I found a guy with a set of 4.10's that he used for a year then went to 4.56's selling front and rear for 150 bucks.
What should I look for when I go check these things out aside from the obvious nicks or damage.

Indefatigable

What I have found with used gears, its not the condition of the gears, rather the effort (time$$$$) spent installing them and getting the pattern to match what is already worn in. If you have to pay someone to set up gears, just buy new ones. Burn through an extra hour or more very fast trying to match an existing wear pattern.

SoCalDozer

What I have found with used gears, its not the condition of the gears, rather the effort (time$$$$) spent installing them and getting the pattern to match what is already worn in. If you have to pay someone to set up gears, just buy new ones. Burn through an extra hour or more very fast trying to match an existing wear pattern.

the place here is san diego said they charge 460 per axle labor to install them.
how many miles does it take to develop a wear pattern? It would have to save a lot of install time and money to justify the 450 dollar diffrence in going with new over used. only new 4.10's I found were 300 a piece.

Indefatigable

A wear pattern develops fairly quick as I recall.

Installing new gears is pretty quick compared to the issues that can be had with used gears. Sometimes it goes easy, but most times, not so easy. Friend learned the hard way as 6 extra hours to set up used gears ate any savings of buying used gears and then some...

YMMV

SoCalDozer

A wear pattern develops fairly quick as I recall.

Installing new gears is pretty quick compared to the issues that can be had with used gears. Sometimes it goes easy, but most times, not so easy. Friend learned the hard way as 6 extra hours to set up used gears ate any savings of buying used gears and then some...

YMMV

okay thanks for the info, I'll check with the guy here and see if its a flat rate he charges or if he will charge by the hour.
also does anyone know if Evo offers 4.10's for the 999$ deal?

SoCalDozer

called up evo today about the gears and they only do 4.88's for the 999 deal and 5.13's
they are going to call me back with a quote for 4.10's from Dana.

Prime8

SoCalDozer said:
talked to evo today, and they quoted me 1800 bucks for 4.10's vs 999 for 4.88's

Why are you so against doing 4.88? Just means you'll have to get bigger tires... Bummer... Haha!

SoCalDozer

lol yeah I wouldnt mind it if I was running 37's!
4.88's in a 12 would be overkill for my 33's or even 35's.
I do a bit of highway driving as well

Top Bottom