Can I install plush ride coils?

RamP

I currently have a a Teraflex Budget boost. I've read great things about the ride quality of the Evo plush rides. Can I remove the TF spring isolators and install the Evo's? I plan on building a lift that includes them in the future but if they make the ride better I would go for it early.
I realize the lift would be 1/2" taller than what I have now. I am currently running stock shocks with extensions.
Would this work?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I currently have a a Teraflex Budget boost. I've read great things about the ride quality of the Evo plush rides. Can I remove the TF spring isolators and install the Evo's? I plan on building a lift that includes them in the future but if they make the ride better I would go for it early.
I realize the lift would be 1/2" taller than what I have now. I am currently running stock shocks with extensions.
Would this work?

You would need new shocks because the extension will no work. Also if you off road your rig you will run into driveline issues at some point so that that extra cost into effect

Sent from my iPhone

TheDuff

Great question! I hope someone from evo can confirm if 2.5" bump stops are ok to use on the 3" plush rides with out causing damage to the coils.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

suicideking

Are you getting the 3"? You'll still want shocks. Plus it will ride poorly if you don't add minimal stuff like front track bar and control arms.

2trackin

You'll end up with about 3.5" if you aren't a loaded right. Ie heavy bumpers, winch, tire carrier etc. I just put them on my 2 door and I sit at the same height I was with my 3.5" RK coils. Make sure minimum you have lower control arms so you can ensure proper caster angle.
And if you plan to wheel your rig you'll want a front drive shaft.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Panda

I had the same question does anybody know if you already have 2.5 higher than stock shock will they work with the 3inch coil?

TheDuff

I had the same question does anybody know if you already have 2.5 higher than stock shock will they work with the 3inch coil?

I think I can answer this part!
Of course you can use them, but since your shocks limit your down travel, they may not be a perfect fit for these coils. But wait there's more! A lot of shocks are set up to cover a range of lift, like 1.5-3" for example. So you could measure your shocks extended and collapsed to cross reference against a shock that is commonly paired with these coils or even better, the king shocks that are designed to work with them ( if you can get those specs).
Now where my interest in this thread meets your interest! I'm in the same boat, I have a 2.5 inch lift atm also. I know keeping my current shocks will yield the same down travel, but changing to 3inch bump stops will take away some up travel. if we knew using a 2.5" bump stop would or would not over compress the coils and cause them to fatigue, that would be some valuable info.

TheDuff

You'll end up with about 3.5" if you aren't a loaded right. Ie heavy bumpers, winch, tire carrier etc. I just put them on my 2 door and I sit at the same height I was with my 3.5" RK coils. Make sure minimum you have lower control arms so you can ensure proper caster angle.
And if you plan to wheel your rig you'll want a front drive shaft.

I would like to point out, the op's profile states he has an unlimited. So with that said he will yield much closer to 3" of lift. I've also heard from several people that these coils are near dead on their advertised lift on a Jku, unlike many other lifts.
I for one have a 2.5" lift, that in fact yields over 3" of lift. I can tell you that I have both front and rear factory track bars, all factory control arms, no drag link flip and currently stock drive shafts. I drove around for a while with a blown steering stabilizer, then a while longer with out one at all.... is it ideal? No. Does my jeep drive fine? Yes!. I did 85 from Winchester to San Diego last weekend, no problems. Its a bit flighty, but by no means dangerous or difficult to drive. My point? Track bars for 3" of lift, unnecessary. Control arms? would be nice, but also not 100% needed. Drive shafts? My front one will die eventually, tore the boot over a year ago and its still working. I'd be willing to bet I could get another stock one to last just as long. Do I wheel? I'd like to think I do, I've posted some videos and pictures on here, so u can judge that for your self. Am I annoying? My wife says I am, so its probably true.

Panda

I think I can answer this part!
Of course you can use them, but since your shocks limit your down travel, they may not be a perfect fit for these coils. But wait there's more! A lot of shocks are set up to cover a range of lift, like 1.5-3" for example. So you could measure your shocks extended and collapsed to cross reference against a shock that is commonly paired with these coils or even better, the king shocks that are designed to work with them ( if you can get those specs).
Now where my interest in this thread meets your interest! I'm in the same boat, I have a 2.5 inch lift atm also. I know keeping my current shocks will yield the same down travel, but changing to 3inch bump stops will take away some up travel. if we knew using a 2.5" bump stop would or would not over compress the coils and cause them to fatigue, that would be some valuable info.

Thanks duff, I guess each applications different mines a 2dr & I'm loaded with bumpers, tire carrier & very soon a winch but if I do it I wana make sure I do it right

RamP

Lol Duff your a trip.
I am in a JKU. My end result will be an Evo double d long arm kit. It uses the same coils as they're Enforcer kit, probably the same shock options too. The JK's have almost a mid arm set up stock so I'm thinking I can get away with the Evo coils and possibly new shocks as a first step towards the lift. I would probably go with a front DS next followed by adj track bars before getting the Double D arms and DL flip.

2trackin

Do not go with taller coils till you at least have adjustable lower control arms. Your caster angle will be way out of wack and make your handling feel like your driving a shopping cart. The taller you go without caster adjustment the more on the toes feel it will have.
What type of usage is your jeep going to see? Any offroad? Light trails, rock crawling?
For starters
Plush ride coils(as you stated)
Shocks
Bump stops (I made my own)
Adjustable lower control arms
Track bars
Brake lines
Front drive shaft
Suggested on top of that depending on usage:
Upper control arms
Drag link flip
Upgraded tie rod (just bent mine with only 2800 miles on the rig)

Top Bottom