Any opinions on the Teraflex Speedbumps?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Hey guys, I'd like to add something to my AEV kit to make driving on washboard and bumpy surfaces a bit more comfortable and maybe even improve control...I've heard that these things can do just that, but would love to hear some opinions from anyone that has actually used em.

I read this article, but it's just an installation how to rather than an actual review...but Eddie, it seems like you obviously have experience with them, what's your opinion?

http://project-jk.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=190556

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Hey guys, I'd like to add something to my AEV kit to make driving on washboard and bumpy surfaces a bit more comfortable and maybe even improve control...I've heard that these things can do just that, but would love to hear some opinions from anyone that has actually used em.

I read this article, but it's just an installation how to rather than an actual review...but Eddie, it seems like you obviously have experience with them, what's your opinion?

http://project-jk.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=190556

It's a foam in a can, I'd pass

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I haven't run them, but the two people I know who did were not impressed and had wished they didn't install them.

Edit: if I remember correctly, they are nothing more than a hunk of crappy rubber.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
It's a foam in a can, I'd pass

I guess that's true, but do they function as advertised? From a physics standpoint, it seems having nothing there (OEM style) vs something that can slow the uptravel of the axle contribute to an improved feeling on washboard and prevent that bottoming out slam? Forgive my ignorace, but doesn't king have similar units?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I haven't run them, but the two people I know who did were not impressed and had wished they didn't install them.

Edit: if I remember correctly, they are nothing more than a hunk of crappy rubber.

Just so we are on the same page...these are the units you are talking about right?

9b336bd9c9a2de7cc1c52322ebc3d765.jpg

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Not cheap, and need to have welding done, but much better choice:
http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=KING

Those look great as well, and if thats what I need to buy to get a better quality ride and control, I will. So whats the main difference between the Teraflex units and the kings? It seems the kings are filled with fluid (like a little shock absorber) and the teraflex units are filled with foam...is that right? For the not that big price difference, me thinks King is the way to go...just wish they made them bolt on (no welding required.) :(

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I guess that's true, but do they function as advertised? From a physics standpoint, it seems having nothing there (OEM style) vs something that can slow the uptravel of the axle contribute to an improved feeling on washboard and prevent that bottoming out slam? Forgive my ignorace, but doesn't king have similar units?

You do have a bump stop from factory. The Kings are a real deal not foam in a can.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've run them and was far from impressed. Just driving around town, they would tap the bump stop pads and offer a harshness that was less than desirable. As mentioned, they are nothing more than foam in a can but, if you're set in them, I do have a write up that will help you to install them. Of course, I personally wouldn't waste your money on them.

pastorwug

I've run them and was far from impressed. Just driving around town, they would tap the bump stop pads and offer a harshness that was less than desirable. As mentioned, they are nothing more than foam in a can but, if you're set in them, I do have a write up that will help you to install them. Of course, I personally would waste your money on them.

Don't you mean you personally would NOT waste your money on them?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I've run them and was far from impressed. Just driving around town, they would tap the bump stop pads and offer a harshness that was less than desirable. As mentioned, they are nothing more than foam in a can but, if you're set in them, I do have a write up that will help you to install them. Of course, I personally wouldn't waste your money on them.

Thats enough for me. :D I'm definitely not set on them whatsoever. Do you think I would see a benefit from the King units on a Jeep that is mostly daily driven and only wheeled out west once or twice a year? Is it a worthwhile upgrade in your eyes, or will I not notice a big difference?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thats enough for me. :D I'm definitely not set on them whatsoever. Do you think I would see a benefit from the King units on a Jeep that is mostly daily driven and only wheeled out west once or twice a year? Is it a worthwhile upgrade in your eyes, or will I not notice a big difference?

Honestly, no. Air bumps are really a kind of secondary suspension made to absorb BIG hits when bombing through the desert. Based on what I'm hearing from you, I would recommend saving your money and just running the factory jounce stops.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Honestly, no. Air bumps are really a kind of secondary suspension made to absorb BIG hits when bombing through the desert. Based on what I'm hearing from you, I would recommend saving your money and just running the factory jounce stops.

Thank you for your honest opinion, as always, much appreciated.:thumb:

Raceplayhavefun

Are you currently bottoming out on the suspension? If so, then a better bump stop can help. I've seen quite a few mildly lifted JKs that hit the bump stops pretty hard on washboard roads. The Teraflex bumps will provide some extra spring rate to soften the hit, but they are not super duper. The king bumps are awesome. I've installed both and feel that the kings are worth their price tag IF you are having bottoming issues. This does seem to be more of an issue int he front, and the kings are a cut and bolt in option for the front.

into_the_void

I currently drive a 2012 JKU Rubi with these on. They are total crap, but were already installed when i bought it. The jeep has just over 10k miles and the front ones are already shot. Are the King bump stops an easy replacement for these? Im ready to replace them and would like to be able to just bolt in some king or fox bump stops in the coil tower. I would like to avoid cutting and welding.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I currently drive a 2012 JKU Rubi with these on. They are total crap, but were already installed when i bought it. The jeep has just over 10k miles and the front ones are already shot. Are the King bump stops an easy replacement for these? Im ready to replace them and would like to be able to just bolt in some king or fox bump stops in the coil tower. I would like to avoid cutting and welding.

Up front, the Kings are easy to install but, you would have needed to cut your jounce stop cups off as there would be no way to get it in otherwise. However, being that you already have Speed Bumps, they will be cut off already. I'm not 100% sure but, you should be able to install Kings in their place without too much fuss. I would contact Off Road Evolution as they not only sell them but, will be able to provide a more absolute answer as well. Now, for the rear, that's a different story. There is no good easy, no cutting and no welding solution here. I would just return your setup back to stock as it shouldn't be that hard to do. Just make sure to install bump stop extensions on the axle to accommodate the amount of lift you have.

into_the_void

Up front, the Kings are easy to install but, you would have needed to cut your jounce stop cups off as there would be no way to get it in otherwise. However, being that you already have Speed Bumps, they will be cut off already. I'm not 100% sure but, you should be able to install Kings in their place without too much fuss. I would contact Off Road Evolution as they not only sell them but, will be able to provide a more absolute answer as well. Now, for the rear, that's a different story. There is no good easy, no cutting and no welding solution here. I would just return your setup back to stock as it shouldn't be that hard to do. Just make sure to install bump stop extensions on the axle to accommodate the amount of lift you have.

Thanks for the quick reply Eddie. Love your vids and patiently waiting for some silver Wayalife windshield decals to become available. lol.

Top Bottom