Windshield lights

PJScullyJr

I'm getting ready to add lights on my windshield.

I was wondering pro/cons of LED lights and recommendations on brands.

Thanks

Sent from my Z10 using WAYALIFE mobile app

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I'm getting ready to add lights on my windshield.

I was wondering pro/cons of LED lights and recommendations on brands.

Thanks

LED Pros:

Smaller size housing
More light output
Less draw (power)
Whiter light
Lots of combinations and mounting options
Ability to put lens covers over them to change the color (Amber)

Cons:

Price

That about sums it up I believe. As for recommendations there are plenty out there. The most popular are Rigids. There are a lot of "knock-off" out there which I know of a few. Combat LED, BlitzPro and a few others. My opinion is you get whet you pay for, look for good warranties!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Just my .02, but I think the money is better spent on Trucklites. I haven't found the windshield LEDs to be that effective, especially as an increase over Trucklites headlights.

LED is the way to go...for all the reasons listed above!

Of all my LED's, the windshield (lower a pillar) lights are the least useful. Bumper mounted bar puts out a direct, bright beam, the 50" lights everything thing up like a nuclear blast, and my Truck-lites are awesome light for all driving conditions. I think my problem is I got driving pattern Dually D2s on my windshield and they are a bit washed out...I shoulda gone with spots up there.

5AD13539-D223-407B-8953-C9490B24FE64_zps6ykui58s.jpg

PJScullyJr

Thanks for all input... now just to break out the credit card and start ordering.... as soon as the wife says ok. :cool:

Ldogg

The only downside to trucklites is that they don't get hot to melt snow/ice. Not really a big deal, just keep that in mind. I love mine and my rigid D2's in the a pillar. I don't drive with my D2's around town though. You will get more use from the trucklites

catahoula

Caught the Bug
That is a great thing about Trucklites you can use them more on the road. Windshield or pillar light might be illegal to run on the street.

Holeshot

Banned
The only downside to trucklites is that they don't get hot to melt snow/ice.

Depends on what kind of weather you have. These days we get temperatures down nearly -50 and no prob with the truck-lites and snow. If the lens stay cold then the snow will not stick on it. But if there is slushy snow then yes it will stick, like at temp around 0.

That is a great thing about Trucklites you can use them more on the road. Windshield or pillar light might be illegal to run on the street.

Exact, thats why i moved mine on the bumper, now i can use them on the road and i get better efficiency also.

Ldogg

Depends on what kind of weather you have. These days we get temperatures down nearly -50 and no prob with the truck-lites and snow. If the lens stay cold then the snow will not stick on it. But if there is slushy snow then yes it will stick, like at temp around 0.

Exact, thats why i moved mine on the bumper, now i can use them on the road and i get better efficiency also.

Yeah, here in Colorado last week we had freezing fog and it stuck to both while driving around, but you could still see them throwing light.

PJScullyJr

I'm in New England, so you name the weather we get it.
So ice/snow buildup on the headlights would be an issue for me because I work midnight shift and I have one of those jobs where I don't get to stay home during bad weather.
So I may not upgrade the headlights to the trucklights but might upgrade the bumper fog lights to LED's as well.

DallasJKU

I don't have Truck Lites. I might add them down the road. I do have D2's in driving pattern and a spot/flood combo 10" SR on the hood. The D2's were a little washed out, but still great. The spot on the hood filled in the gaps and I love the light output. I would never put a 50" on the Jeep based on price and no chance of using unless by yourself.

sean.m.adams33

I would also suggest truck lites. I have rigid duallys for fogs. They might as well not even be there.
But as far as your question, LED is the best IMO.

Ldogg

All LED lights will have the heat issue from what I have heard. I would still look at the trucklites, they are far better the the stock headlights. Rigid has brackets to run d2's in your fog light locations as well.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388640661.029317.jpg

SDG

Caught the Bug
I'm in New England, so you name the weather we get it.
So ice/snow buildup on the headlights would be an issue for me because I work midnight shift and I have one of those jobs where I don't get to stay home during bad weather.
So I may not upgrade the headlights to the trucklights but might upgrade the bumper fog lights to LED's as well.

I think that "you folks" who are worried about changing to LED headlights because you get 6" of snow every once in a while are being a little bit ridiculous. I lived up in Tahoe for a winter back in the good 'ol days when beer was cheep and women were easy... oh wait wrong story...

Anyway, they get about 200 inches of snow a year, and a lot of the time its the coldest place in the continental US... When its snowing and its like 5 degrees out, unless you are running 500W halogen worklights as your headlights, they aren't going to melt shit in that weather (My halogen bulbs in my truck didn't melt shit, the bulbs in my friends 4 runner didn't melt shit, neither did the ones in the blazer, or the subaru). I would venture to say you are probably better to have LED's because they will never melt the snow in the first place, so the most you may have to do is come out from time to time and dust them off. Furthermore, they put out so much more light than the shitty stock bulbs, they likely still outperform them with a 1/2" of ice on them.

And this comment is not directed at you PJScullyJr directly, I have heard this same odd thought brought up again and again, and it just doesn't make sense to me.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
It's true they don't melt snow; it's also true that normal headlights get all messed up with ice/snow/dirt here in the Sierras. The trade off is well worth it in my opinion.

Holeshot

Banned
yeap I agree with that.

The other day we had a good snow storm and I had to do an hour drive back home, it was cold, in the -30's. I had no issues with the truck-lites building ice or snow, BUT my factory fogs were clogged with ice because they melt snow.

:standing wave:

Ldogg

I am simply sharing that info, but I agree the trade off is worth it. I have them and I love them. The only time it's ever happen to me was during a freezing fog morning. They were still bright, and I didn't have any issues. I wouldn't worry about it as they a so much better then the stock ones.

Top Bottom