Bumpers and Rock Rails: Powder coat versus Engine or Tractor Paint???‏

wbgoode77

I am the proud new owner of a Poison Spyder Brawler Lite with Brawler Bar front bumper and a set of Brawler Rockers. I had planned on powder coating them, but it has come to my attention that engine/tractor paint may be a better (more functional and cost effective) way of covering them. I have been told although the powder coat is tough, if scratched there's really no way to touch it up. My rig is a DD but at the same time I don't want a rock to keep me from taking a path...hence the rock rails. I don't mind nicks but would be bothered by a 10" scratch going down the side of my rail.

I am most concerned about how I would paint them if the "paint" is the best route. I have a couple fellow wheelers offered to help, but I'd also like to get the input of your guys.

I have questions such as...

-If painted, is this something that can be done in your garage or would it need to be done in a more controlled environment?
-What is the best way to prep the parts before painting?
-How difficult is it to prevent "runs" in the paint (I'm a novice)?
-What else should I consider?
-Are there more "Pros" to powder coating that I need to be aware of?
-Is it possible to "touch up" a powder coated bumper/rail?

I appreciate every ones input and look forward to your wisdom. THX

bl17z90

On my Evo Rock Rails I got the delivered bare and this is what I did to paint them.

I first lightly sanded them.
Then I hit them with some good quality rattle can primer. 2 coats
For paint I used Rustolium truck bed liner. 2 coats.

This happened after the first trip. Huge scratch in the paint on the driver side. When I was washing my Jeep when I got home I hit the rails with a pressure washer and the paint peeled right in the area around the scratch. So I just used the same paint and primer and did a touch up in about 2 hours. Just make sure you use some cardboard or newspaper to mask the Jeep so yuo don't overspray and hit the body.

I have the brawler bumper and painted it myself. Sanded, cleaned with acetone then primer. Used bed liner spray in a can. Looks great and feels tough. I used several cans. If scratched, you can always spot touch up in a few and good as new.:thumbup:
1388417341885.jpg
1388417386842.jpg
Sent while sitting on the crapper.

wbgoode77

As I was asking before my fat fingers hit the send button...do you have experience with painting. It looks as though you are very skilled!

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
A few cans of Rust-oleum and you can do it in the garage. Bang them up and just touch-up as needed. No need to spend a lot of money. :twocents:

Last edited:
I would go with a finish that is easy for you to touch-up and repair. I use the Rustoleum truck-bed liner and have found that it blends VERY well. (That's what was used on the bumper above too)

Powder coating is nice but once it gets scratched on some trail use it has no advantage over the rattle-can. Just my :twocents:

Edit... I do like to use this on the parts that are hard to get to like behind the bumper mounts. -> http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle-qt.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom