Hesitation/misfire under load after sitting over night

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I have a 2012 JKUS manual, been dealing with a hesitation after cold soak during cold ambient temperatures (50 degrees Fahrenheit or less). The hesitation is almost violent when it happens, almost as if the engine is shut off and turned back on. There is no MIL illuminated. Dealer has done two updated PCM flashes, saying it should fix it, but so far it hasn't. Anyone dealing with or experience the same issue?

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I have a similar hesitation when cold first start up in morning time not super bad but going away few minutes later. Not sure if this is normal or not or if the same as your jeep.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jku_robert

I have a 2012 JKUS manual, been dealing with a hesitation after cold soak during cold ambient temperatures (50 degrees Fahrenheit or less). The hesitation is almost violent when it happens, almost as if the engine is shut off and turned back on. There is no MIL illuminated. Dealer has done two updated PCM flashes, saying it should fix it, but so far it hasn't. Anyone dealing with or experience the same issue?

How many miles?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JayKay

Caught the Bug
How many miles?

27,000 now, noticed the issue back when it had probably 3,000. It's just not something that makes the jeep impossible to drive, just an annoyance. The problem has been looked into 2 or 3 times with either the "it's normal" response or "we updated the PCM, that should fix it" response. Had it at the dealer today and they flashed the PCM again, haven't driven it since, guess I'll find out what it does in the morning.

jeeeep

Hooked
my 2010 would do that after sitting for several days, I replaced the plugs, coils and wires with performance distributors screamin demon coil and wires - haven't had any issues since.
also uses autolite platinum plugs, IMO worth the price and best performance upgrade I've done

JayKay

Caught the Bug
my 2010 would do that after sitting for several days, I replaced the plugs, coils and wires with performance distributors screamin demon coil and wires - haven't had any issues since.
also uses autolite platinum plugs, IMO worth the price and best performance upgrade I've done

Thanks for the input, but I'm sure that's not the type of problem I'm having. Since my odometer is at 27,000, it's hard for me to believe I would have bad ignition parts already. The way it acts is like it's got a slow or bad signal from the accelerator pedal to the throttle body, especially since the 3.6 is fly-by-wire. I would think if I had a bad coil or plug I'd have a misfire code and the issue would occur more often. Got home from the dealer 15 minutes ago and it didn't do it at all before it warmed up. We'll see what it does in the morning.

txjeeplover

I developed this very same minor issue on my 2008 3.8 liter this week! I'm at 120k miles and my wires and spark plugs have just under 20k miles. I'm going to swap out the ignition coil and replace the purge valve and leak detection sensor. In my situation, I suspect that it's my 120k mile ignition coil. I get the gas cap warning light at least once a month despite having replaced multiple caps, so part of me thinks it could also be related to a momentary poor air/fuel mixture at start-up.

David1tontj

I think you might be onto something with the poor air fuel ratio.. I won't claim to be an expert on this, but I do know a couple basics... Before a rig warms up, it runs on an open loop, meaning that it doesn't take any info from your o2 sensors, MAF, etc. to adjust the ratio.

I'm Not really sure on what would cause it to run that poorly on the computers default program...

I'm sure someone else will weigh in...

Does this only happen when under load, or does it happen in neutral too?

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I think you might be onto something with the poor air fuel ratio.. I won't claim to be an expert on this, but I do know a couple basics... Before a rig warms up, it runs on an open loop, meaning that it doesn't take any info from your o2 sensors, MAF, etc. to adjust the ratio.

I'm Not really sure on what would cause it to run that poorly on the computers default program...

I'm sure someone else will weigh in...

Does this only happen when under load, or does it happen in neutral too?

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

I seem to notice it more on my '12 when pulling out of my driveway and headed up the street in the morning. The street in front of the house is a slightly uphill for a block or so. It is noticeable at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle in 1st gear and 2nd. Going uphill makes me consider it being under the load of its own weight, plus turning 35s.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Almost sounds like a coil

You know, that's the way it feels to me. I work in an independent automotive and tire shop. We see all the Ford 4.6 and 5.4s come in with bad coils (very common on those engines) 99% of them have the MIL lit and numerous misfire codes. Most of the time they act up when the engine is hot. My 3.6 only seems to do it when the engine is cold, especially after sitting over night or during the day while I'm at work. I'll see if maybe I can talk the dealership into hooking it up to the lab scope and seeing if there's any history misfires in the PCM. I'm sure as hell not gonna do it, it's under warranty:)

jku_robert

It sucks that the dealership can't figure it out makes you kinda question the technicians

JayKay

Caught the Bug
It sucks that the dealership can't figure it out makes you kinda question the technicians

Especially aggravating when you get a call after they've only had it for two hours saying it's done. Really?!?! Guess I'll have to take him for a ride and describe what it's doing when it's doing it. Ugh!

jku_robert

I work at Audi and it sounds kinda corny but I take pride in my work and make sure the car gets fixed THE FIRST TIME.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I work at Audi and it sounds kinda corny but I take pride in my work and make sure the car gets fixed THE FIRST TIME.

I'm with you on that one. I worked at a Ford dealer and understand how the warranty works. The manufacturer tells the tech to do this, if that doesn't work, do this, if that still doesn't take care of the problem, then replace this. Well my jeep has been in for the same problem twice, two PCM updates later, I'm not sure if it's gonna fix it since the first update didn't.

jku_robert

I'm with you on that one. I worked at a Ford dealer and understand how the warranty works. The manufacturer tells the tech to do this, if that doesn't work, do this, if that still doesn't take care of the problem, then replace this. Well my jeep has been in for the same problem twice, two PCM updates later, I'm not sure if it's gonna fix it since the first update didn't.

Well let us know what happens. I'm interested to see what they find.

txjeeplover

For what it's worth, my misfire and hesitation suddenly got worse yesterday and I got DTC P0302. I changed the coil pack, the wires, and the plugs which fixed the problem.

Top Bottom