Think I found a solution to my d30 problem

SoCalDozer

After debating about if I should go pro rock44 or get a rubi take out and hearing lots of people tell me the d30 sucks because its weak I might have found a small solution.
I asked some people about upgrading the weak factory axles to chromoly ones and was told dont do it because it will make the R&P the weak point.
but what about if I cryo treated the R&P and went to chromoly's. that should be more than enough strength to handle 35's with sleeves and gussets as well.

does it have a locker in it? I ran a dana 30 with 33's and a detroit trutrac for years and wheeled it pretty hard on rocks and never broke a thing. This was also under a zj, which i'm assuming is a lot heavier then a jk. the dana 30 held up fine, for 7 years and then I sold the jeep, I would of run 35s and been pretty confident in it holding up, but then again the trutrac is not a locker just a really aggressive linted slip. You could just keep the 30 run 35's, get some spare shafts and see how it holds before spending a good chunk of change. Dont know if that helps your decision making, also driving style makes a huge difference on how somethings gong to hold up.

SoCalDozer

im not a crazy driver by any means but I do plan on putting in an arb up there. not super tall gears either, just 4.10's

StrizzyChris

I had to go to your profile to see that you'll be running your 4.10's in a 2012 and not a 07-11. I would agree with ya, and would also stick with that 30 if your not going over 35's. I would even give it a try and trust it with 37's. I have read alot about cryo and it adds something along the lines of 30% strength.
You wont have the same issues that the pre-12 jk's have in trying to go 5.13 in a tiny 30 ring, so then it really only comes down to tube and nuckle strength. I am assuming youll gusset?

codename607

x2 on keeping the d30. I knew a guy that had 37s on his stock d30 and he wheeled it pretty hard. He just wanted to see how much it would actually hold up to....so far I think he has been running this setup for over a year now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
forget the cryo treatment and just run your d30 with chromo shafts with full circle clips. so long as you stick with 35's and don't plan on regearing, you'll be fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I knew a guy that had 37s on his stock d30 and he wheeled it pretty hard. He just wanted to see how much it would actually hold up to....so far I think he has been running this setup for over a year now.

it has been my experience that everybody has a different idea of what "wheeling pretty hard" really is and, how "often" is really often. me, i've managed to break a chromoly dana 44 shaft and even a dana 60 and you can take that for whatever it's worth.

codename607

it has been my experience that everybody has a different idea of what "wheeling pretty hard" really is and, how "often" is really often. me, i've managed to break a chromoly dana 44 shaft and even a dana 60 and you can take that for whatever it's worth.

Yeah you are right about that. At first I would consider the type of wheeling I do as "pretty hard" but after seeing some of your vids its much more like driving down a dirt road on my part...lol

Top Bottom