Warn Powerplant 9500 compressor pressure switch bad???

OC Paul

I picked up a used Powerplant and the systems keeps shutting down.

I used a jumper wire and bypassed the compressor pressure switch and now it works without shutting down from the bad switch.

My first question is..... On a properly functioning unit is it normal for the tank pressure release valve to open and bleed off excess pressure frequently?

Seems to me that it would be the case because the compressor is always running even when the unit is in winch mode....right?

My second question is.... Do you think I can run the powerplant with the jumper cable bypassing the compressor pressure switch without damaging the unit?

Seems like it would be ok... Am I missing anything?

I want to go wheeling in Big Bear this weekend and wont be able to get a replacement switch in time.

OC Paul

Once it builds up pressure it should shut off. My relief valve has never went off.

Just spoke to a Warn Service center and the problem seems to be that the unit was plumbed for an auxiliary tank and the fitting was a female at the Warn compressors half gallon tank. He told me to switch it out to a male fitting because the compressor tank has to be open to breathe. Hope that does it!!

jeff_in_rc

I used a jumper wire and bypassed the compressor pressure switch and now it works without shutting down from the bad switch.

My first question is..... On a properly functioning unit is it normal for the tank pressure release valve to open and bleed off excess pressure frequently?

Seems to me that it would be the case because the compressor is always running even when the unit is in winch mode....right?

My second question is.... Do you think I can run the powerplant with the jumper cable bypassing the compressor pressure switch without damaging the unit?

I want to go wheeling in Big Bear this weekend and wont be able to get a replacement switch in time.

I have the same winch and if when your saying it "keeps shutting down" do you mean that when in compressure mode, with an air hose connected and your not filling a tire or using an air tool that it runs for 30 seconds or so then stops? If yes this is normal as the system has a pressure switch that will shut off the motor once it has reached it's max air pressure.

Now regarding your use of a jumper to bypass the pressure switch, are you saying that the compressure keeps running AND the pressure relief valve keeps letting air out? If yes it is supposed to do that and I would not bypass the pressure relief valve switch, keep it in place so it can do it's job. Something could go BOOM, know what I mean?

Now as to the compressure running while using the winch, no it should not run while winching as you have to move the lever from AIR to WINCH which keeps the compressure from running.

Hope this helps.

jeff_in_rc

Just spoke to a Warn Service center and the problem seems to be that the unit was plumbed for an auxiliary tank and the fitting was a female at the Warn compressors half gallon tank. He told me to switch it out to a male fitting because the compressor tank has to be open to breathe. Hope that does it!!

I asked the same question and got the same answer! So what I did to keep dirt out is to put a female end with a plug in it on the male end on the tank. I unplug it once a week to let it breath over night.

OC Paul

I asked the same question and got the same answer! So what I did to keep dirt out is to put a female end with a plug in it on the male end on the tank. I unplug it once a week to let it breath over night.

I was thinking that dirt would get in the tank too. The rubber access door butts up against it and seals it up pretty good but probably not completely.

You unplug it once a week over night??? Do you really do that?

It has to breathe (the compressor unit can't be sealed closed like a typical compressor with a female end is) when it is running the winch.

It is working now and looking forward to going out this weekend!

jeff_in_rc

I was thinking that dirt would get in the tank too. The rubber access door butts up against it and seals it up pretty good but probably not completely.

You unplug it once a week over night??? Do you really do that?

It has to breathe (the compressor unit can't be sealed closed like a typical compressor with a female end is) when it is running the winch.

It is working now and looking forward to going out this weekend!

Yep, just unplug it over night. I drilled a hole in the end plug, ran a piece of wire thru the hole, and put both ends in a ring terminal and used one of the cap screws to hold it in place. Now I won't lose the female end after I take it off to plug in my air hose.

jeff_in_rc

Well wouldn't you know, my compressor does not work! Went to air up on New Years Day and the motor spins but the compressor does not work, winch works but no air. Bummer.

Spoke via email to a Warn guy and they will pick the winch up, repair it and send it back no problems. This will be the second time it will have been repaired, hopefully they get it right this time! I do like it, I just hope I won't have any more problems.

GoldSyncro

I've the same fault with my PowerPlant HD. The problem is that if the unit thinks the air reservoir is full it doesn't allow the winch to operate. After jumping the connection to the faulty pressure switch the winch operates as it should. The compressor now also works but without the pressure switch telling the unit to stop. It therefore continues to pressurise to the point where the pressure relief safety valve operates. Left to itself this will obviously repeat continuously. Unfortunately, after reading other owners experiences on other forums, our faulty pressure switches are not isolated cases.

My question is the same as the original writers. In the short term, is it safe to run the compressor when only relying on the pressure relief valve to stop it blowing up? Also, as it looks difficult to access, is it possible to replace the faulty switch without having to remove or replace the air reservoir? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Top Bottom