Pre-Owned Vehicle Inspection Checklist

FireWire79

All right WAL, I'm leaning on you again. I am about to have my wife go pick up my 07 JKR for me this weekend. I'd do it myself, but I'm pretty sure I can't make if from Afghanistan to New Jersey and back before my command figures out that I'm gone. :grayno: She's a little nervous and doesn't know what to look for when inspecting a vehicle, much less a Jeep. I put this list together to give her a hand, and I wanted everyone to give it a once over and make sure that I didn't miss anything major. The version I have drafted so far also includes pics of the dash indicators and the location of the fluid dipsticks, but they didn't copy/paste in.

I stole this from a new vehicle deliver checklist and made some changes to it for you. Most of the stuff is pretty straight forward, but this should help arm you against those nasty car dealers.

Deliverables
• Keys - Two keys in bag with key code number & 4 digit PIN (I don’t know if we get this, but 2 keys is a must)
• Manual - Paper "Quick Guides" and DVD Owner’s Manual
• Jack/Tire Iron - Jack and tire iron present, new condition and functional
• Floor mats – Just make sure that some are included. It is not a deal breaker, but would be nice.
• Cargo Mat/Tray - Cargo area mat w/storage tray ( I think this comes standard from the factory, but may not be there anymore due to previous owner (PO))​

Exterior
• Body - Examine for dings and dents (Minor wear and tear is normal.)
• Doors - All doors open and close smoothly, properly latch
• Fenders – Ensure that all lights on fenders are working (wear and tear are normal)
• Glass - No chips, cracks, bubbles
• Lights - All external lights are present and working (turn signals, marker, park, reverse, brake, fog and headlights)
• Mirrors - Driver and passenger present and securely mounted
• Paint – Major issues include bubbling, indicating rust, major scratches, etc
• Rock Rails - Present
• Wheels - No scratches, center caps present, locking nuts present
• Wipers - Front and rear present
o As a side note, as you walk around the vehicle you should test the suspension, which is easy to do
o When you get to a corner, press down on the bumper with your foot, or even give it a good bouncing if you want
 • If the vehicle dips down and comes back to a rest then it’s good to go
 • If it keeps bouncing, that indicates that the shocks are worn and may need replacement​
• Also, if it goes down super easy, that may indicated bad springs or shocks as well. It should be fairly “firm” feeling, not to squishy.​

Engine Compartment (Grab a napkin or two, it’s time to get dirty)
• Brake Fluid - Clean, within fill marks (Visual inspection from outside)
• Coolant - Clean, between fill marks on overflow reservoir (Visual inspection from outside)
• Engine Oil - Clean, within fill marks (Pull the dipstick and check it)
• Fuel Tank Skid Plate – Present (Located underneath vehicle, at the rear)
• Transfer Case Skid Plate – Present (Located underneath vehicle, near the center)
• Transmission Fluid - Clean, between fill marks (Pull the other dipstick and check it)​

Interior
• Alarm - Present, arms/disarms with key fob, deterrent light active when armed (IDK if we have this option)
• Carpet - No stains, tears, proper fit (minor wear OK)
• Climate Control - Heats, A/C cools, fan works on all speeds
• Console/Glove Box - Opens and closes/latches properly
• Control Levers - All functions work properly (wipers, washer, cruise, turn, etc.)
• Doors - Unlatch from inside vehicle
• ESP - Disengages/engages properly w/switch
• Floor Mats - Front present, new condition
• Headlights - Auto/manual/highbeam functions w/switch
• Horn - operational
• Instrument Panel - All dials work, Vehicle Information Center (VIC) display works, backlit when lights on
• Interior Lights - Dash lighting, overhead, operational
• Interior Mirror - Adjustable w/dimmer
• Key Fob Remote - Keyless entry locks/unlocks, alarm arms/disarms, remote start functional
• Knobs - All present, rotate properly, new condition
• Mirrors, Look for any damage
• Park Brake - Engages and releases properly
• Power Locks - Lock and unlock properly
• Power Windows - Front "1 touch" down, roll up
• Radio - All 6 speakers functional, subwoofer functional, clean sound w/no distortion
• Rear Window Defroster - Disengages/engages properly w/switch
• Seat Belts - Latch and retract properly
• Steering Wheel, Multi-function, all buttons functional, tilt functional
• Sway Bar Disconnect - Disengages/engages properly w/switch ( I will address this in a second)
• Trim - Securely mounted, no cracks, scratches or cuts
• Vents - All vents open/close and rotate proerly
• Visors - Present w/mirrors, rotate smoothly, slide properly
• Wipers, Front/Rear - Intermittent functional, wipe/wash properly​

Test Drive (Almost!)
• 4WD - Transfer case properly engages to 2H/4H/4L
o Shifting into 2H/4H can be done at speed, and not a major issue (Dash should indicated 4WD)
• To shift into 4L
  • Bring the Jeep to a stop and put in N
  •  Move the transfer case switch into 4L (It may be a little stiff)
  •  There should be an audible CLUNK or CLICK and the dash light should indicate 4WD
  •  Drive forward slowly, it should go really slow at this point
• Now is the time to test the Sway Bar Button and the Axle Lockers
• (You pretty much get to push a bunch of buttons here)​

• Press the SWAY BAR button (It should illuminate and there should be a dash indicator) Press to engage and disengage
• Test the lockers
• Press the bottom of the AXLE LOCK button once and look for the dash indicator
o If it is flashing give it a few seconds, if it continues to flash, drive forward slowly to engage and the light should go solid​
• Press the bottom of the AXLE LOCK button a second time now and another dash indicator should come on
o If it is flashing give it a few seconds, if it continues to flash, drive forward slowly to engage and the light should go solid
 There should now be TWO indicators for the lockers on the dash in addition to 4WD​

o Press the top of the AXLE LOCK button again, and the indicators should turn off​
• Stop the vehicle and shift to N
• Shift the Transfer Case back to 2H​
• Brakes - Responsive and firm, panic stop to test ABS
• Cruise control - Set/Resume/Cancel functional
• Steering - Tight, quiet, responsive
• Suspension - Quiet, smooth, no rattles or squeaks
• Transmission, Auto - Can engage R/N/D/2/1 smoothly, shifts smoothly at appropriate RPM​

Registration/Title Paperwork
• Registration - Contains your full name, proper address, VIN, make/model/year
• VIN - Present and identical on Bill of Sale, Registration, Loan/Lease Agreement
• Warranty Certificate - Shows your name, propererly dated with delivery date
• Loan/Lease Paperwork
• Down Payment - List any down payment applied
• Loan Term - Length of loan in months
• Monthly Payment - Amount due per month
• Net Payment - List total net payment due
• Percentage Rate - List the annual percentage rate
• Purchase Price - Negotiated price including options
• Sales Tax - Calculated at applicable state sales tax rate​

dahreno

Banned
Most women I have met are not mechanically inclined . I would never trust my wife to pick up a used vehicle for me . Don't blame her if you get home and it is crap . Send her with a friend or pay a mechanic to go or , have her bring it to a good shop to check it out .Good luck and let us know what you do and how it turns out .

JKUx

Most women I have met are not mechanically inclined . I would never trust my wife to pick up a used vehicle for me . Don't blame her if you get home and it is crap . Send her with a friend or pay a mechanic to go or , have her bring it to a good shop to check it out .Good luck and let us know what you do and how it turns out .

I agree with what's written above, the customer has the right to have the vehicle inspected by an independent repair facility for re-assurance, also CARFAX is very important, (get it in writing) if there is any negotiating involved and the sales rep. commits to it make sure it's on the buyers order and have a secondary person if at all possible there during each visit to the final delivery.

Good luck and congrats on your potential purchase!

Last edited by a moderator:

FireWire79

It's actually coming from a dealership. Princeton Volkswagen is the name of the place if I remember correctly. And I expect some minor issues with it, but I am fairly mechanically inclined, so I should be able to tackle most issues. I am also requesting that the dealership issue me a 30 warranty on the vehicle so that I can do the final inspection when I get back to the states.

Top Bottom