Rear end whine

Crush

I installed a dynatrac 60 in the rear of my jeep in october. Right after it was installed, I took it for a test drive and started hearing a whining sound when I let off the gas and the Jeep slowed down. When I put it in neutral the sound went away. It ended up being a pinion bearing. Changed the bearing and the sound went away, so I thought. I have now noticed that the sound is coming back with the new bearing installed. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this to keep happening. I have only put a few hundred miles on since the new axles were installed.

David1tontj

Generally with gear noise I would think you may have your backlash set too tight.. Did you do the install? Was it within specs? I don't know for sure as I am not at home, but I think my 60 was .006-.010. It is good to be on the tighter end of the specs, as it helps prevent breakage, but with being tight comes gear noise, and possibly higher than wanted temperatures..

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Crush

I had my mechanic do the install and I watch the install. The backlash was set at 7 which is in specs. I think it is the pinion bearing again but don't want to change it and it go bad again

David1tontj

I had my mechanic do the install and I watch the install. The backlash was set at 7 which is in specs. I think it is the pinion bearing again but don't want to change it and it go bad again

Is the pinion bearing running dry? Do you have enough oil in the diff? Just seems weird for it to go bad so fast... Especially if it was installed to the correct specs... If I remember correct, that is a crush washer setup? Possibly torqued down too much?? The pinion "rolling torque" is measured in inch/pounds, not ft/lbs like most other things on your jeep.. It could be an easy thing to overlook.. I'm just throwing ideas out there..

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Crush

I have the 4qts installed according to dynatrac, and the first bearing was not burnt looking like it had no oil. Actually on the 60, it does not have a crush sleeve, it has shim packs, the 44 does have a crush sleeve

Crush,

Very sorry to hear that you are having an issue. We are happy to help you resolve this. If this is a new install we will take care of it under warranty. If you can private message me your contact info, who placed the original order, and/or the serial number on your axle, we can get moving on a solution.

Based on your posts I agree that the pinion bearing may not be the issue, and the first diagnosis was misleading. Either way we want to help.

Please send me a private message or call in to the office at 714-596-4461. If you already spoke to someone here, we will review previous efforts once we know your contact info.

David1tontj

I have the 4qts installed according to dynatrac, and the first bearing was not burnt looking like it had no oil. Actually on the 60, it does not have a crush sleeve, it has shim packs, the 44 does have a crush sleeve

Well... Even with shim packs, you still have to get the rolling torque correct or it will fry your pinion bearing.. If it is too tight, I believe you need to add more shim.. May not be your problem, and it looks like danatrac is stepping in, but I thought I would throw that out there for ya.. Good luck!! Please let us know what you find out.

JK-JOHN-E

Crush,

Very sorry to hear that you are having an issue. We are happy to help you resolve this. If this is a new install we will take care of it under warranty. If you can private message me your contact info, who placed the original order, and/or the serial number on your axle, we can get moving on a solution.

Based on your posts I agree that the pinion bearing may not be the issue, and the first diagnosis was misleading. Either way we want to help.

Please send me a private message or call in to the office at 714-596-4461. If you already spoke to someone here, we will review previous efforts once we know your contact info.

Very cool. Thank for offering help to the forum...great job guys:clap2: good to have the advertisers here:standing wave:

Crush

I will call dynatrac today. I was moving snow yesterday and could not get them called. Thanks for all the help

Crush

Just wanted to let you know that I talked with Dynatrac and they offered to take a look at the axle and see if they can figure out what is wrong with it if I would ship it back to them. This shows what a great company they are. I had just bought the 60 housing from them and had it set up by my local mechanic. It is nothing that is there fault and they are trying to help me out. I would highly recommend there axle over anyone else. The quality and customer service is outstanding. Will let you know what is found out. Thanks for all the help.

Top Bottom