Better carburetor for the 258

Texas Jeep Guy

Hey y'all I am looking to put a new carb on my 87 4.2L, I had asked on another forum and got a link to a guy on eBay for a motor craft 2150, comes with all the required parts including the mount( which I have heard is hard to come by) he also includes step by step instructions and his home phone number just in case of questions,he also will put in jets and adjust it as much as he can, depending if you want a offroad carb or a daily driver or even both, also shows how to tune it, so here's where I'm worried, there have been people on forums that I have talked to that said the have received faulty parts, not enough parts, and they have said his instructions suck and that he is not good at communicating, what are y'all's thoughts? What are some good carbs besides the motor craft? I have little experience with carbs so I apologize for the stupid questions, here is that eBay link as well
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MotorCr...d=100011&prg=8262&rk=2&rkt=5&sd=321162595854&

locrwln

The 2100 can be a decent carb, but even at it's best, it's still a carb. I had a '90 YJ with the 258 and I couldn't stand the factory carb. I ended up putting the Howell FI kit on mine and it was one of the best things I ever did for that Jeep. If you can, save your money and put a TBI injection system on it. The driveability is much, much improved.

Jack

Woody3

The 2100 can be a decent carb, but even at it's best, it's still a carb. I had a '90 YJ with the 258 and I couldn't stand the factory carb. I ended up putting the Howell FI kit on mine and it was one of the best things I ever did for that Jeep. If you can, save your money and put a TBI injection system on it. The driveability is much, much improved.

Jack

I know the OP didn't ask about FI, and I have no personal experience with your particular motor or carb but my boss just put FI in his jeep and loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeep monkey

I bought a mc 2150 from the eBay guy and can add my thoughts.

- the instructions are abundant but not exactly clear. You need to have a basic understanding of what you are doing or his instructions will get you lost. At least it did me.

- communication: after the sale is not good. I had an small issue after installation and he did not respond to me after multiple attempts. Fortunately I am a member of another jeep forum was able to resolve the issue on my own with their help.

- his product: is good. I absolutely love my motorcraft carb. It is light years better than the carter. MUCH MORE POWER.

You can piece together your own 2150 via a junkyard and save money. For above stop shop, I do think the product is good.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The MC is a good carb but, as mentioned, it's still a carb. I fiddled around with various options before finally biting the bullet and installing a Howell TBI. It really is a great setup and one I would recommend if you can afford it. Here's a write-up I did for it back in the day:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/TBI.html

Rccrwlr

The MC is a good carb but, as mentioned, it's still a carb. I fiddled around with various options before finally biting the bullet and installing a Howell TBI. It really is a great setup and one I would recommend if you can afford it. Here's a write-up I did for it back in the day:

Why am I not surprised that you have yet another resource available for all. Thanks for all you do to help a friend out with a step by step fix.

Elusive

a popular mod for the 258 used to be a 4.0 head. it bolts on, flows MUCH better, and has fuel injection.
jeep 4.0 fuel injection is really easy to make work... I have a 4.0 in my scrambler and it only required me to splice 3 wires to make run.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
After several different carb configurations, I ended up with the Howell TBI as well. In my opinion some of the best money I spent on the ol' CJ!

IMG_5307.jpg

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

Holy crap! No BS, this write-up and the vague instructions it came with were what got me through he installation. I didn't even know you wrote that! Small world! Your the Man Eddie!!

Putting the Howell setup on my 83 Scrambler, was the BEST thing I could have done!!
( Golly how I miss that Jeep!)
Since i now have an xj, I am still having the old Jeep blues!

Top Bottom