Rear Driveline Problem, whats this rubbing on?????

Vettethret

So I was cleaning under the Jeep today from my last outing at Cleghorn and noticed my rear drive line scratched and grooved. It looks like its rubbing on the the metal case that's protecting this (Evap Canister)????? When I was under full flex it was making a loud screeching noise, and until today I didn't know what that sound was. Can anyone tell me by my pics what the drive line is rubbing on and how to fix it? I'm supposed to go out wheeling this Saturday but don't want to break on the trail!:icon_crazy:

20140102_145846_resized_1.jpg 20140102_145853_resized_1.jpg 20140102_145913_resized_1.jpg

I have a video of the sound it makes but don't know how to post a video (Its on my desktop)

Last edited:

biggy

Are their rub marks on the evap skid. I would do something to take care of it as it looks like it could knock a weight off the ds and throw it out of balance.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
If it's rubbing on the EVAP skid you can move it over an inch or two. That's what I had to do with mine. My EVAP skip hit the boot when flexed.

Vettethret

If it's rubbing on the EVAP skid you can move it over an inch or two. That's what I had to do with mine. My EVAP skip hit the boot when flexed.

I just looked again, its actually rubbing on the body of the jeep in two spots? My track bar did have to be adjusted a couple of weeks back because it was pretty far off, I wonder if that caused the problem?

20140102_161212_resized.jpg 20140102_161222_resized.jpg 20140102_161305_resized.jpg 20140102_161313_resized.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
i'd measure the rear alignment again - you may have adjusted your track bar too far to that side. remember to get on your bumper and shake it out after adjusting...

dahreno

Banned
Is that a JE Reel Driveshaft ? It looks stock to me yet you say you have the JE Reels . It has been so long since I have seen a stock driveshaft , I forgot what they look like . It sure looks big around like a stock shaft .

Atch

Is that a JE Reel Driveshaft ? It looks stock to me yet you say you have the JE Reels . It has been so long since I have seen a stock driveshaft , I forgot what they look like . It sure looks big around like a stock shaft .

You're correct, that is a stock driveshaft. I'm guessing his profile is referring to his front driveshaft.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What is shown in the pic is a stock shaft. If you really were hitting your gas tank, you have a sky high lift and if I could guess, didn't install a track bar relocation bracket in the rear.

Vettethret

i'd measure the rear alignment again - you may have adjusted your track bar too far to that side. remember to get on your bumper and shake it out after adjusting...

This actually happened before the track bar adjustment. It was too far to the right so they adjusted it.

Vettethret

What is shown in the pic is a stock shaft. If you really were hitting your gas tank, you have a sky high lift and if I could guess, didn't install a track bar relocation bracket in the rear.

It is a stock rear drive shaft. I have the RK 5.5 MID arm. It was a very complete kit so I assume it came with it. I went to go check on their website, and they no longer have my set up as a short/mid arm, only a long arm (I guess that says something). I am going to give them a call tomorrow, but I do think that id has a track bar relocation. Still need to figure out why it was rubbing, I am hoping because the track bar was off.

biggy

It is a stock rear drive shaft. I have the RK 5.5 MID arm. It was a very complete kit so I assume it came with it. I went to go check on their website, and they no longer have my set up as a short/mid arm, only a long arm (I guess that says something). I am going to give them a call tomorrow, but I do think that id has a track bar relocation. Still need to figure out why it was rubbing, I am hoping because the track bar was off.

Pretty easy to see if you have a relo bracket. Get under your jeep and see if the bracket is bolted or welded on. I have the 3.5 mid arm and it came with the bracket so I'm sure you must have it.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

dahreno

Banned
It does say driveshafts, not driveshaft. I am surprised with that lift, they didn't recommend a rear shaft also. Would the relocation bracket be on the frame side or the axle side ?Either way it should be able to spot. I also find it interesting that he said it was a complete kit but doesn't know if it came with the bracket. Are we 100% sure it is rubbing on the Jeep and that he simply didn't hit it on something?

Vettethret

It does say driveshafts, not driveshaft. I am surprised with that lift, they didn't recommend a rear shaft also. Would the relocation bracket be on the frame side or the axle side ?Either way it should be able to spot. I also find it interesting that he said it was a complete kit but doesn't know if it came with the bracket. Are we 100% sure it is rubbing on the Jeep and that he simply didn't hit it on something?

I ordered a rear drive shaft for the thing last month but the shop I ordered it from kept dicking around so I canceled. I put drive shaft(s) because I have a J.E. Reel coming. I am also positive its rubbing on the actual tub. Every time I was under full flex I could clearly hear the squeaking. I don't know what is so interesting about not knowing if I have a relocation bracket or not? I put the kit on 8 months ago and have forgotten what was in the kit. I originally bought the kit because when I was doing my research before buying, I saw that this kit literally replaced almost everything in the stock suspension and that's what I wanted. I called RK to verify and my rig does have the relocation bracket which was part of the system . I was trying to get this figured out so I could go wheeling this weekend, couldn't get it in the shop in time. My rear shaft should be in next week so I will have it looked at then and see if there are any other issues.

jeeeep

Hooked
the balance weight looks like it's been rubbing the way it's 'rounded' on the visible edge.

once you get your replacement shaft it should clear since it'll be a smaller diameter. IMO I'd still take a measurement to see if the axle is still kicked more to one side.

you mentioned they adjusted it...I'm guessing you had someone else do the work?

BBrown626

Just reading this thread it is apparent the OP does some wheeling, but doesn't work on the rig. I've performed every modification to my rig except I had EVO change differential gearing. I know every piece I have put on and the purpose it serves. Not only was I interested, but I need to know how it affects performance, the impact of a casualty to the equipment and how I might be able to fix it on the trail. Don't most of you install your mods and make your own repairs?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Just reading this thread it is apparent the OP does some wheeling, but doesn't work on the rig. I've performed every modification to my rig except I had EVO change differential gearing. I know every piece I have put on and the purpose it serves. Not only was I interested, but I need to know how it affects performance, the impact of a casualty to the equipment and how I might be able to fix it on the trail. Don't most of you install your mods and make your own repairs?

How does that help the situation at hand?

JayKay

Caught the Bug

It's no different then someone paying a body shop to restore an old muscle car for them. They want a badass car, but don't have the know how or capabilities to do it themselves. Props to vettethret for coming to the right place to ask the questions he didn't have an answer for. I know people who have jeeps and use them for their own mechanical experimentation. I am an ASE certified technician, but automotive repair experience and training doesn't necessarily mean you know how to install a bunch of aftermarket performance parts. I belong to wayalife.com to find answers and educate myself on subjects I may not be familiar with.

Top Bottom