4 banger won't start

Sugarbear

I have a friend with a YJ 4 banger she started it yesterday pushed the clutch in stuck it in reverse and it shut off and now won't restart any idea what this could be ??

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Boy, you're gonna get a ton on this one. It's a total failure so it's most likely fuel or ignition. Check for fuel at the carb and then spark. Four poppers are fairly simple to diagnose. Lots of folks are gonna answer your 911. Good luck! :yup:

Army_Vet

Banned
Does that puppy have a neutral safety switch? Could be a problem

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sugarbear

It starts but shuts off right away I haven't personally looked at it yet but I don't know exactly where to start

FrankenJeeper

If it starts then dies suddenly I'd check the fuel filter and if its clean check the fuel pump.

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Army_Vet

Banned
If it starts then shuts right off my money is on the mass air sensor. I think its called a MAP sensor

SDG

Caught the Bug
Cant see where you are located, but if its real cold that could be part of it. A truck I used to have was carburated and when it was cold it would stall if I didnt let it fully warm up at idle (exhaust had to stop looking white) and wouldnt restart if it stalled. When stalled I had to let it sit for an hour or 2 before it would restart and it would rough idle and run like shit till warm.

Maybe low compression?

Army_Vet

Banned
This is also a long shot since I don't know how early they started programing keys. But if it needs to have a transponder key. And they had a new key cut. It would act like this

Top Bottom